advertisement

Tour de France 2020

Had the luxury of watching most of it live today. What a stunning part of the world.
Yates did well.

It's nice in Nice to quote the Stranglers ;-) My sister in law used to live near Antibes, just down the coast, until she had to move to Paris for work - there aren't many jobs down there.

I hope the Tour caravan isn't a superspreading engine

Well there we go, Alaphilippe in yellow again but for how long?
This chappie was born in St-Amand-Montrand, which I reckon makes the nearest wine Châteaumeillant, a weird little red enclave. I tried one for the first and probably final time last year. If you push it a little bit you could make it a rather nice white from Reuilly or Quincy. I nominate Jean-Michel Sorbe as I visited his gaff once.

I rather hope you are the only other person who has a clue why I have posted this.

Alaphilippe has great talent, raw power and an excellent brain. Nice bloke too
Wonder if Yates will take a big step up next year with Ineos and they work out how to tweak him

While he might not currently have tour winning form ineos will know exactly what role his engine is best suited for. Id suggest his role is likely to be as a stage winner/GC disruptor in support of the teams overall efforts. He's proven he can climb with the best with of them he just lacks a real kick for the line.

One of my best mates works 'with' his mum.

Last edited:
I don’t think his career has perhaps come on the way it was going when he finished 4th in Le Tour.

Third yesterday was a good result but he can’t sprint and was never going to beat the Frenchman. Thought he might have had a stab on his own.

I don’t think his career has perhaps come on the way it was going when he finished 4th in Le Tour.

Third yesterday was a good result but he can’t sprint and was never going to beat the Frenchman. Thought he might have had a stab on his own.
He is one of our best riders, it is incredibly difficult to become a pro cyclist even at the lowest rung. He is probably top 20 in the world, he won’t win the TDF this year but that doesn’t make him a failure.

While he might not currently have tour winning form ineos will know exactly what role his engine is best suited for. Id suggest his role is likely to be as a stage winner/GC disruptor in support of the teams overall efforts. He's proven he can climb with the best with of them he just lacks a real kick for the line.

One of my best mates works his mum.
He is a quality rider, some just don’t have a kick but he still held off the chasing peloton on an uphill finish into the wind.

I am staggered that anyone would criticise his performance from yesterday.

I haven’t said he’s a failure. I support all British and Irish cyclists. I just don’t think he has what it takes to win the Tour. I hope he proves me wrong.

He is a quality rider, some just don’t have a kick but he still held off the chasing peloton on an uphill finish into the wind.

I am staggered that anyone would criticise his performance from yesterday.
He, as with all, won’t get that many stage winning opportunities which, listening to his team director is the goal. He unfortunately gave himself very little chance of winning. Third’s a great ride but it’s a long way from the victory.

I haven’t said he’s a failure. I support all British and Irish cyclists. I just don’t think he has what it takes to win the Tour. I hope he proves me wrong.
Fair enough but the bar at the Tour is very high & Yates doesn’t have the skill set for it. The idea that he didn’t have a go yesterday is not correct though.

He'll find his niche at Ineos. They'll already know exactly what he's physically capable of.

Considering the magnificent countryside today, I found the racing rather dull. One impressive solo performance and a brilliant sprint finish, but the preceding 5 hours plus were rather ordinary. Alaphilippe just coasting along with all the other GC contenders apparently doing the same. I know that this is what characterises the early tour, but it was a bit like watching Geoff Boycott putting in a steady shift in a 5 day Test where a draw will secure the series.

A tricky one today, OP. The winner is from Sydney, and the best known wine-producing area near there (Hunter Valley) is a couple of hours away, so that’s not good enough. The route was a bit mountainous to pass through or end up near a vineyard as far as I could tell, but the competitors passed through Châteauredon - and as Château Redon is a rather nice claret that’s my best offer for today. Sorry.

Marchbanks, Cotes du Ventoux, surely?
Well... from my cursory glance at the route it looked like they were about 30 miles away across the mountains, so I thought I’d go for an all-out cheat instead. But if I’m wrong please feel free to suggest a suitable bottle to the OP. Or even if I’m not, of course. The more bottles, and reasons for choosing them, the merrier!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back