advertisement

TOTEM and DYNAUDIO. are they the same?

Totem uses Dynaudio woofers in a couple of it's models, notably the Model 1 and the Mani-2. The Forest has never used Dynaudio drivers, but instead use HiVi drivers which were designed in Canada but built in China. Superficially the appear similar to the Dynaudio woofers but upon close inspection it's clear they are not.

Several companies use Dynaudio: they are well respected drivers. Doesn't mean any of the resulting complete speakers are the 'same'.

The only raw drivers that are a close copy of Dynaudio are Morel drivers and Audio Technology.

There are definite similarities in sound between Dynaudio and Totem, i saw both at CES this year and they both have a deep, rich and warm sound, but they are very different speakers.

against Forest. which dynaudio is it comparable to?

I surprised with the performance by forest with it size. it really punch well above it size.

Totem uses Dynaudio woofers in a couple of it's models, notably the Model 1 and the Mani-2. The Forest has never used Dynaudio drivers, but instead use HiVi drivers which were designed in Canada but built in China. Superficially the appear similar to the Dynaudio woofers but upon close inspection it's clear they are not.

I had the FORESTS and ARROs in prior system
The older TOTEMs had the very same DYNAUDIO tweeters and DYNAUDIO designed woofers (designed by DYNAUDIO but not made by or for DYNAUDIO)

then They went to ChiFi made drivers

It has been debated here in CAnada as to whether the older units sound better. Go to Canuckaudiomart for the posts

IMO the older ones did sound better to my ears

In any case they are NOT similar to DYNAUDIO

There is a lot of posts on AUDIOGON and CANUCKAUDIOMART about TOTEMS being power pigs requiring ampscwith BOTH a lot of watts and amps tomperform at their peak

The older TOTEMs had the very same DYNAUDIO tweeters and DYNAUDIO designed woofers (designed by DYNAUDIO but not made by or for D

Er, no they didn't.

Most of the early models, ie Model One, Mani 2 used a Totem-modified Seas aluminium dome tweeter.

The odd man out was the Tabu, which used a Dynaudio tweeter and
a Vifa woofer.

The older TOTEMs had the very same DYNAUDIO tweeters and DYNAUDIO designed woofers (designed by DYNAUDIO but not made by or for D

Er, no they didn't.

Most of the early models, ie Model One, Mani 2 used a Totem-modified Seas aluminium dome tweeter.

The odd man out was the Tabu, which used a Dynaudio tweeter and
a Vifa woofer.

I stand corrected, you are correct
I was limiting my comments to (ARROs and) FORESTS requested in this thread and I should gave been more specific

My Mani-2s are happy on the end of a pair of 135's
Drivers are Dynaudio mid-woofers and Seas tweeters.
17W75XL mid-woofers and Seas 27TAFC tweeters.

There seems to be a synergy between Totem and Naim.

Out here, the two brands share an importer.

The Arros and the Sttaf use polish (tonsil) drivers, as do a couple of their cheaper models.

anybody know which model to start off in Dynaudio? i am looking at Floorstander. something comparable to HAWK/ Forest?

heard STAFF/Forest/Wind and they are very nice. played rock music and it shook me

There seems to be a synergy between Totem and Naim.

Out here, the two brands share an importer.

That is a local marketing result occurrence; NAIM is also very fine kit but not the last word in TOTEMs.

Here in the North America (The "Colonies"?) TOTEM has a (special?) synergy with SIM AUDIO and frequently uses them in the shows

Why: Both are in Montreal and a cross pollination in that each uses the other to voice their gear.

An all SIM AUDIO electronics (source and amps] paired with TOTEM can sound impressive - I have seen it many times.

TOTEM also used to make their own heavy duty integrated amp to work with their speakers, the "AMBER". It was a tweaked SIM AUDIO made for them by SIM AUDIO.

ALTERNATIVES to SIM AUDIO: AYRE , PLINIUS et al; all makes with both very high current and watts to provide that "grunt".

just waiting on delivery of a pair of Totem Forest Signatures in glorious Canadian Cherry.
i have the "ordinary" Cherry Forests, these Signature Versions are a wee bit special :)

advertisement

Back