advertisement

toslink won't work if pushed in all the way

jamesd

pfm Member
i have an amplifier with a digital/toslink input. If I push the cable all the way in so that it "clicks" in, it doesn't work. If I back the cable out a little it works (but doesn't have a positive connection...it could pull out). If I back it out too far, there's static.

I've tried two different toslink cables. Any ideas?

Toslink uses visible red light.
Does the source look central in its socket?
Does the receive end look like the light is coming centrally from the plug?

Toslink uses visible red light.
Does the source look central in its socket?
Does the receive end look like the light is coming centrally from the plug?

it's a Chromecast audio using a mini-toslink > toslink. everything looks pretty normal as far as I can tell? it's almost as if the light get too close to the receiver when pushed all the way in or something?

Toslink sockets are right PITA in my experience - and your description does not seem unusual. I do find that different cables behave differently - so try another if you can.

Toslink sockets are right PITA in my experience - and your description does not seem unusual. I do find that different cables behave differently - so try another if you can.

odd. I tried two and both had the same issue. I had a third (same brand as one of the first two) still in its packaging. Opened it up, tried it and it worked?!

Is your cable a normal Toslink cable? How long? There is such a thing as too much light, fibre optic receivers have a limited working range.

Receivers are fairly tolerant, the diode is usually about 1mm2 and the cable core is typically 1mm. The odd spec of dust has little effect

Receivers are fairly tolerant, the diode is usually about 1mm2 and the cable core is typically 1mm. The odd spec of dust has little effect
Just a thought:
Standard Toslink plugs are not symmetrical - they are a kind of 'flattened arch' shape.
I've found some badly made plugs that I can insert the wrong way, with the symptoms you describe.

Just a thought:
Standard Toslink plugs are not symmetrical - they are a kind of 'flattened arch' shape.
I've found some badly made plugs that I can insert the wrong way, with the symptoms you describe.

odd that two cables that should be exactly the same (same model, same brand) worked differently, right?

advertisement

Back