Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Torys vote to keep SH*T in the water.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Dogberry, Oct 26, 2021.

1. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Read that as 'A dead peasant once in a while seems to work.'

2. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Well, yeah, but it's kind of like burning your house down to solve a case of rising damp.

MikeMA and PsB like this.
  3. Guinnless

Guinnless pfm Member

It used to have more until the Scousers stole some. A whole valley-full!

4. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Pending

Scousers don't steal - they merely relieve people of the burden of looking after stuff.

5. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

It's a good job you're lobbing these slurs at the population of a city rather than at, say, a particular racial or ethnic group.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  6. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...sh-demand-for-halt-to-intensive-poultry-units

7. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Welsh Water, Dwr Cymru, is Not for Profit.

8. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

They do a good job in my experience. Maybe that’s the model which should be adopted elsewhere for essential services such as water.

PsB, ff1d1l and kendo like this.
  9. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

That's interesting, i wonder whether the waste is from too much being used per acre or breaking the rules on timing.

There might be a lot more chickens per unit area there and less arable, much as parts of Holland with too many pigs.

In that case they're missing out on sale of the nutrients. Our chicken litter directly replaces DAP on oilseed rape and is a base fertiliser for potatoes, we still have to buy in a lot of nutrients to top up.

The chicken farm charges the arable side a significant sum for the litter.

10. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I think it's the sheer scale of these farms

11. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Stuart Frazer and PsB like this.
  12. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

We're relatively small but it would still be worth hauling the chicken litter 200 miles for sale as fertiliser.

The units backs onto a stream so the EA knows exactly where to look if there's pollution of any sort and they do look.

Half the reason we bought the farm was to get the cheap fertiliser!

13. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

Stuart Frazer and gavreid like this.
  14. Colin L

Colin L High-tech low-life

Just a reminder, to prove yet again, how Scotland is better than England..

Scottish water is publicly owned, invests 35% more per household on infrastructure than England, while charging consumers 14% less.
    That's what happens when you aren't paying dividends to investment companies. Of course the Tories would love to privatise it.

15. Dogberry

Dogberry pfm Member

:D

And of course it tastes better .:D

16. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Too soft though - gives you heart trouble

17. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

The government hasn't really performed a U-turn on this. They have applied PR sticking plaster ("best efforts","next five years" etc.) in the hope the issue will just disappear from the 6 o'clock news. Very different.
    The last time somebody at the Commission tried a stupid stunt (blocking vaccines through the border with Northern Ireland) it was reversed in a matter of hours before it was even implemented. So to answer your question: quite easy if you can energize the European Council.

18. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

I would like to see something enshrined in Law that these Water Companies must work towards zero sewage spills into our water courses. I would happy to see a pragmatic approach where upgrade works are prioritised on a scale of say 1-50 years depending on the difficulties and costs involved. However, these are targets the Water Companies must be bound to in Law with massive penalties for missing them.

mik_rik and gavreid like this.
  19. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Richard Lines likes this.
  20. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Just renationalise them. Paying dividends sucks the investment out