advertisement

Torys vote to keep SH*T in the water.

Yes, you’ve got to look after your soakaway! If you let if block, there’s no way back really. Ours is oversized and fingers crossed have had no issue but empty the chambers well before being full to avoid anything other than water going into the soakaway. A dead pheasant once in a while seems to work.

Read that as 'A dead peasant once in a while seems to work.'

If that's happening near you someone is failing in their job.

When we had pigs the EA were always testing streams down the line and enforcing any infringements. We had a leak in a slurry pit once and it had to be sorted very quickly.

Much the same with the chickens, totally closed system with all effluent running into tanks for appropriate disposal. No mixing with rain.

It's a pity we haven't put in the same for human effluent!

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...sh-demand-for-halt-to-intensive-poultry-units

I suppose they have to be. Look at the current mess in the energy industry with a bunch of ‘suppliers’ who are nothing more than hedgers and billing machines. In fairness, I think Welsh Water are pretty good and a bargain. I pay about £200 a year, unmetered and always very quick to fix problems. In contrast, the bill at my (much smaller) place in Cornwall with a fraction of the use is multiple times that.
Welsh Water, Dwr Cymru, is Not for Profit.

That's interesting, i wonder whether the waste is from too much being used per acre or breaking the rules on timing.

There might be a lot more chickens per unit area there and less arable, much as parts of Holland with too many pigs.

In that case they're missing out on sale of the nutrients. Our chicken litter directly replaces DAP on oilseed rape and is a base fertiliser for potatoes, we still have to buy in a lot of nutrients to top up.

The chicken farm charges the arable side a significant sum for the litter.

That's interesting, i wonder whether the waste is from too much being used per acre or breaking the rules on timing.

There might be a lot more chickens per unit area there and less arable, much as parts of Holland with too many pigs.

In that case they're missing out on sale of the nutrients. Our chicken litter directly replaces DAP on oilseed rape and is a base fertiliser for potatoes, we still have to buy in a lot of nutrients to top up.

The chicken farm charges the arable side a significant sum for the litter.

I think it's the sheer scale of these farms

I think it's the sheer scale of these farms

We're relatively small but it would still be worth hauling the chicken litter 200 miles for sale as fertiliser.

The units backs onto a stream so the EA knows exactly where to look if there's pollution of any sort and they do look.

Half the reason we bought the farm was to get the cheap fertiliser!

Just a reminder, to prove yet again, how Scotland is better than England..

Scottish water is publicly owned, invests 35% more per household on infrastructure than England, while charging consumers 14% less.
That's what happens when you aren't paying dividends to investment companies. Of course the Tories would love to privatise it.

:D
Just a reminder, to prove yet again, how Scotland is better than England..

Scottish water is publicly owned, invests 35% more per household on infrastructure than England, while charging consumers 14% less.
That's what happens when you aren't paying dividends to investment companies. Of course the Tories would love to privatise it.

And of course it tastes better .:D

Lol, as much shite on here as there is in the water. Carry on directing your energy like that about brexit and it will just allow the government to carry on dodging the bullets.

I already see the government has done a U bend on this decision. How easy is it to make the EU respond so quickly when they make stupid decisions?
The government hasn't really performed a U-turn on this. They have applied PR sticking plaster ("best efforts","next five years" etc.) in the hope the issue will just disappear from the 6 o'clock news. Very different.
The last time somebody at the Commission tried a stupid stunt (blocking vaccines through the border with Northern Ireland) it was reversed in a matter of hours before it was even implemented. So to answer your question: quite easy if you can energize the European Council.

It seems that the figure quoted for the cost of preventative measures was fabricated to scare MPs

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...cheaper-than-uk-ministers-predict-say-experts

I would like to see something enshrined in Law that these Water Companies must work towards zero sewage spills into our water courses. I would happy to see a pragmatic approach where upgrade works are prioritised on a scale of say 1-50 years depending on the difficulties and costs involved. However, these are targets the Water Companies must be bound to in Law with massive penalties for missing them.

I would like to see something enshrined in Law that these Water Companies must work towards zero sewage spills into our water courses. I would happy to see a pragmatic approach where upgrade works are prioritised on a scale of say 1-50 years depending on the difficulties and costs involved. However, these are targets the Water Companies must be bound to in Law with massive penalties for missing them.

Just renationalise them. Paying dividends sucks the investment out

advertisement

Back