advertisement

Torys vote to keep SH*T in the water.

Couldn't believe this still happens; with the price of fertiliser today we might as well be sitting on the bank throwing cash in.

Properly treated sewage is a fantastic resource, give us back that N and P!

Code Brown! - an expression I first heard from an anaesthetist who seemed surprised I didn’t catch on to what he was referring to.

They can be a bit like that. He had either forgotten that he was administering a potent combination of propofol, etomidate, ketamine and methohexital to you at the time, which obvs induces a degree of vagueness, and presumably the potential for some slackening of the old elastic band, or he just had a lively sense of humour.

Even the BBC has this one down to a shortage of chemicals caused by, erm, *you-know-what*.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58476545
And you can't blame this on panic buying by a gullible public fed BS by the tabloids.
I'm the last person to blame any crisis on a gullible public. I just don't think the main issue here is a temporary distribution problem, and I wouldn't even say the distribution problem is mainly down to Brexit (neither does the article). There are (national) structural problems with water utilities, and (national, European, global) structural problems with distribution. But again, if you want to ensure these problems are never acknowledged or addressed then blaming the current crises on Brexit is 100% the way to go. It's the exact inverse of right wingers blaming the EU for similar problems, only now the natural reaction will be defensiveness. Temporary, bump in the road, teething issues, EU punishing us, it's covid really, worse in Europe, we'll pull through, Blitz spirit, my grandparents drank raw sewage all through the war and they were grateful for it! etc.

They can be a bit like that. He had either forgotten that he was administering a potent combination of propofol, etomidate, ketamine and methohexital to you at the time, which obvs induces a degree of vagueness, and presumably the potential for some slackening of the old elastic band, or he just had a lively sense of humour.

You seem to have a close knowledge of anaesthetic agents,been to any nightclubs recently?

Reading the Monbiot piece that someone linked to upstream, I was heartened to hear that people are taking the issue into their own hands. With true British grit and determination, the response to shitty rivers is coming from the bottom up.

Reading the Monbiot piece that someone linked to upstream, I was heartened to hear that people are taking the issue into their own hands. With true British grit and determination, the response to shitty rivers is coming from the bottom up.
Have you got the local hunt out again?

Both actually, he has a black sense of humour.

The obnoxious turd has the audacity to blame the investigation for his wife's suicide.

Tories and their sense of self-awareness eh? The investigation only existed at all due to his blatant corruption and total disregard for ministerial conduct. I assume his party are all lining up behind him to defend the indefensible as usual.

Have you got the local hunt out again?

What for? No fallen stock this week.

Odd question.

Tories and their sense of self-awareness eh? The investigation only existed at all due to his blatant corruption and total disregard for ministerial conduct. I assume his party are all lining up behind him to defend the indefensible as usual.

Taking it at face value, what pisses me off is that its only 30 days suspension. I would have thought that this should automatically trigger a by election.

Taking it at face value, what pisses me off is that its only 30 days suspension. I would have thought that this should automatically trigger a by election.

Agreed. This level of corruption should be a criminal offence punished with real jail time. It is insane that it isn’t. The problem is so rife and so ingrained into the very fabric of Westminster both sides of the house will just turn a blind eye and keep trough-feeding and voting against all democratic accountability as usual. The whole system needs hosing out. It is fundamentally dishonest.

People blithering on about population increase seem to be blissfully unaware that the UK birth rate has been below the replacement rate for years now (the same is true throughout almost the entire developed world), and that within a couple of decades the real crisis is going to be an ageing, shrinking population. Ofc none of this has anything to do with profiteering water companies shitting on our waterways and coasts anyway; that's entirely down to profit.

I'm the last person to blame any crisis on a gullible public. I just don't think the main issue here is a temporary distribution problem, and I wouldn't even say the distribution problem is mainly down to Brexit (neither does the article). There are (national) structural problems with water utilities, and (national, European, global) structural problems with distribution. But again, if you want to ensure these problems are never acknowledged or addressed then blaming the current crises on Brexit is 100% the way to go. It's the exact inverse of right wingers blaming the EU for similar problems, only now the natural reaction will be defensiveness. Temporary, bump in the road, teething issues, EU punishing us, it's covid really, worse in Europe, we'll pull through, Blitz spirit, my grandparents drank raw sewage all through the war and they were grateful for it! etc.
I am really not too interested in the tactical comms aspect of this. I'm not minimizing the structural issues, decades of under-investment etc. But these have been around for ages: why the escalation of problems now? There are no similar escalations in other countries, AFAICT. We've been given a reason (shortage of basic chemicals) and a root cause (lack of HGV drivers to transport the stuff). If this is real, B****t is clearly a major factor; if not, it's just window dressing put forward by the water companies and the cause is something else. Anybody planning on using British beaches next year should be interested in getting a coherent answer.

I am really not too interested in the tactical comms aspect of this. I'm not minimizing the structural issues, decades of under-investment etc. But these have been around for ages: why the escalation of problems now? There are no similar escalations in other countries, AFAICT. We've been given a reason (shortage of basic chemicals) and a root cause (lack of HGV drivers to transport the stuff). If this is real, B****t is clearly a major factor; if not, it's just window dressing put forward by the water companies and the cause is something else. Anybody planning on using British beaches next year should be interested in getting a coherent answer.

One of the issue re effluent from the congregations of large pig farms is the complete lack of planning controls

It’s another symptom of too many people living on a small island. We have very decent infrastructure, which was never intended or designed to cope with current population levels.
No it's not. It's a symptom of water companies being allowed to get away with murder. There's plenty of filth dumped in rural areas with low population densities, and in big cities with high population densities where you can't afford to dump turds in the road they are dealt with.

advertisement

Back