advertisement

Torys vote to keep SH*T in the water.

oh my gosh . why did they do that . amazingly our rather useless MP voted against so thats one up for him

It's a sad situation, but it's an infrastructure problem. Take my village for example. There's a pumping station at the bottom of the shallow valley that takes our sewage, and some from another station nearby, and pumps it over a hill to discharge, presumably, into a main sewer for onward treatment. In the seven years I've lived here the pipes from the station have fractured twice causing raw sewage to literally leak out of the middle of a field and run into the local water course. The same thing happened to the other pumping station feeding this one, although they did replace the pipes eventually. On at least 5 occasions the pipes have been blocked and the station overflows into the local stream. I say 5, because I reported them after seeing it while walking the dogs, so I've no idea how often it actually happened. During the heavy downpour a couple of months ago the station couldn't cope with the amount of excess rainwater flooding into it and again overflowed. When reported it was placed in a queue to get looked at 3 days later.

We're next door to Milton Keynes. As a new town they wisely kept all rainwater and sewage drainage completely separate but anywhere else is going to have them all combined still, I believe. This is why London is having to invest in the tideway tunnel.

I'm currently looking at a gash in the road outside my house that has been leaking a constant stream of water for several months now. A succession of Anglian Water people have come and pointed at it, tested it, decided it wasn't chlorinated, then it was, then disappeared again. I'm waiting for it to freeze over in winter and someone to get hurt before something is done about it.

The bill and disruption required for fixing this is enormous, nobody wants to add it to their taxes or water bills. Climate change is going to make the storm overflow situation potentially more frequent. The Tories appear to have just said that that's the way it is and shall ever be.

It's a sad situation, but it's an infrastructure problem. Take my village for example. There's a pumping station at the bottom of the shallow valley that takes our sewage, and some from another station nearby, and pumps it over a hill to discharge, presumably, into a main sewer for onward treatment. In the seven years I've lived here the pipes from the station have fractured twice causing raw sewage to literally leak out of the middle of a field and run into the local water course. The same thing happened to the other pumping station feeding this one, although they did replace the pipes eventually. On at least 5 occasions the pipes have been blocked and the station overflows into the local stream. I say 5, because I reported them after seeing it while walking the dogs, so I've no idea how often it actually happened. During the heavy downpour a couple of months ago the station couldn't cope with the amount of excess rainwater flooding into it and again overflowed. When reported it was placed in a queue to get looked at 3 days later.

We're next door to Milton Keynes. As a new town they wisely kept all rainwater and sewage drainage completely separate but anywhere else is going to have them all combined still, I believe. This is why London is having to invest in the tideway tunnel.

I'm currently looking at a gash in the road outside my house that has been leaking a constant stream of water for several months now. A succession of Anglian Water people have come and pointed at it, tested it, decided it wasn't chlorinated, then it was, then disappeared again. I'm waiting for it to freeze over in winter and someone to get hurt before something is done about it.

The bill and disruption required for fixing this is enormous, nobody wants to add it to their taxes or water bills. Climate change is going to make the storm overflow situation potentially more frequent. The Tories appear to have just said that that's the way it is and shall ever be.

What we didn't need was any pesky EU putting pressure on them to get it sorted, money wasted on improving the infrastructure and keeping water rivers and beaches clean cannot be dished out to shareholders. That would never do. Just remember not to swim in lumpy water.

It's unbelievable isn't it? The trouble is that we allow it to happen, because apparently they are ruling at our behest.

I can't sack any Tory MPs as my local MP is Labour.

But obviously 'we' is a collective thing and surely, after such a constant farrago, the UK population will (as it always does) do the right and sensible thing at the ballot box.

Obviously.

I didn't really need to check the list to know which way my local MP voted (the appalling Marcus Fysh).

As ever folk should consider helping fund the Good Law Project. I don’t think they are on this particular case yet, but they are providing consistent legal pressure against the gross corruption of this Conservative government. It is well worth chucking a £20 or whatever in now and again.

Raw sewage allowed into streams and rivers cause algal blooms which consume oxygen thereby killing the food chain ,and poisoning the water way for miles.Bad as swimming in sewage is,this is just as serious

Not ideal but it’s a lot worse elsewhere (in the EU). I’ve just returned from sailing in Greece, who have a far lower population density than the UK. The sailing is spectacular but would I swim in the water? Absolutely no chance! Raw sewage is straight into the sea. Plus, thousands of yachts (there’s no money in Greece…) dumping holding tanks, supposed to be closed in harbours yet the place is swimming in turds. Aside from the temperature, I’d far rather swim in UK waters.

Not ideal but it’s a lot worse elsewhere (in the EU). I’ve just returned from sailing in Greece, who have a far lower population density than the UK. The sailing is spectacular but would I swim in the water? Absolutely no chance! Raw sewage is straight into the sea. Plus, thousands of yachts (there’s no money in Greece…) dumping holding tanks, supposed to be closed in harbours yet the place is swimming in turds. Aside from the temperature, I’d far rather swim in UK waters.

It may have escaped your notice that we didn't aspire to those standards, until.....we now do.

"We will be investing extensively ensuring we have a major campaign to encourage British people to take British staycations”.
Culture Secretary, Oliver Dowden 2020

When you’re down at the beach, there will be plenty of hot sewage to go round,

fFbUp2y.jpg

“The U.K. will have higher environmental standards outside the EU”
Michael Gove, 22 May 2018. BBC

advertisement

Back