advertisement

Tory MP moans poor people 'can't cook properly' and boasts meals only cost 30p

ks.234

Half way to Infinity
Speaking in the Commons during a debate on the Queen's Speech, Tory MP Lee Anderson claimed people could "cook meals from scratch" for "30p a day".

30p a day means 10p per meal.

What does a 10p meal look like?

Speaking in the Commons during a debate on the Queen's Speech, he claimed people could "cook meals from scratch" for "30p a day" instead.

30p a day means 10p per meal. What does a 10p meal look like?

At my local Aldi Baking Potatoes are 11p each, carrots slightly less. It would seem that Lee Anderson’s calculations do not include the energy cost of cooking, so here’s your daily feast…

52066814852_a08115c3cd_m.jpg

Breakfast

52067871888_7ec54f7b57_m.jpg

Lunch

Tea

…..Enjoy

Last edited:
At my local Aldi Baking Potatoes are 11p each, carrots slightly less. It would seem that Lee Anderson’s calculations do not include the energy cost of cooking, so here’s your daily feast…

Enjoy

It can be done.

When Jack Monroe calculates the cost of her meals, I don't think she includes the cost of energy either.

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/

She does, however, advocate batch cooking to keep costs down.

Some of her food looks really good. Bread pudding for 11p...
https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/03/19/berry-bread-pudding-11p-vg-v-df/

There are other youtubers who do the 'eat for £1 a day'

But there are a few cheats in there, such as foraging (which won't be possible if everyone starts doing it) and, more importantly, it's a lot of effort; tricky if you have to look after kids and / or hold a job down.

[edit]

I think that there is a wider point, that there is a perception that people lack the basic skills or confidence to cook from scratch and keep costs down. However, If Jack M could do it, so can most folks.

How valid that concern is or is just another trope about the 'idle poor' (buys turkey twizzlers & value chips from Farmfoods), I don't know.

Some things never change - the undeserving poor being lectured to by a politician on twice national average earnings and in receipt of £50k per annum for expenses.

Last edited:
Speaking in the Commons during a debate on the Queen's Speech, Tory MP Lee Anderson claimed people could "cook meals from scratch" for "30p a day".

30p a day means 10p per meal.

What does a 10p meal look like?

Speaking in the Commons during a debate on the Queen's Speech, he claimed people could "cook meals from scratch" for "30p a day" instead.

30p a day means 10p per meal. What does a 10p meal look like?

Breakfast

52067871888_7ec54f7b57_m.jpg

Lunch

Tea

Enjoy
I'd be more than willing to save him the effort of eating those and shove them up his Tory arse.

Previously a Labour councillor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Anderson_(British_politician)#Labour_Party_(prior_to_2018)
While serving as a Labour councillor on Ashfield Council in 2018, he was suspended by the party locally for dumping boulders to block access to a Traveller camp site. He was later given a community protection notice over the action, and instructed to remove the boulders.
Sounds legit. Plenty of Labour councillors are right wing tools (though there are some good 'uns).

I was thinking maybe 6 months, minimum.
Maybe it should be a bit like military service. Before you get your posting, you undergo months of basic training. For MPs this should include being housed on a sink estate with only basic benefits to live on. If they can be transformed into something that looks like a person from a minority as well, so much the better.

Some of her food looks really good. Bread pudding for 11p...
https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/03/19/berry-bread-pudding-11p-vg-v-df/
Just a note: those are 2018 prices. And all of the price per portion calculations assume that you are able to use all the bread/apple sauce etc before it goes off.
  • The sultanas were 88p for 500g. They are now 99p.
  • Apple sauce was 49p. It is now 55p.
  • Bread appears to be an Asda loss leader: the bread was 55p a loaf. ASDA brand bread is now 60p a loaf, but ASDA offer 'Smart Price' bread for 39p. So it's at the whim of ASDA as to whether bread stays subsidised.
On tight margins, that kind of inflation (even before we factor in general living expenses like rent and fuel) can quickly turn 'it can be done' into 'not enough food'.

While it is clearly possible (with sufficient time and ingenuity) to eat cheaply, we don't want to do it ourselves - the privation would be too much. But we find it easy to tell others that they should. It always feels like 'victim blaming' to me. You're telling me you have no money, but what about those shoes? Couldn't you have improvised with string and bits of old car tyre for soles?

advertisement

Back