advertisement

Tory Leadership Runners and Riders

Christ. They'll have to sign me up. I detest lots about Britain: it's narrow-minded Brexit Island mentality; its nonagenarian benefits scrounger and her family of in-breds; it's absurd political system, rigged in its lower house and stuffed with political nominees and frigging bishops in its upper.

You know what I hate? Incorrect use of the apostrophe in the possessive form of 'it'. It's means it is. Nothing else.

Genuinely interested if, as is often remarked upon lately, the types of responses below constitute "ad-hom"?

If someone says something stupid, it's not ad-hom to point out that what they have said is stupid. It's also perfectly reasonable to infer that someone who keeps saying stupid things is indeed stupid. It only becomes ad-hom when you claim an argument is wrong because a particular person said it and since you believe that person to be stupid the argument must be wrong.

If someone says something stupid, it's not ad-hom to point out that what they have said is stupid. It's also perfectly reasonable to infer that someone who keeps saying stupid things is indeed stupid.

Though on the other hand it rarely achieves very much beyond 20 pages of dull bickering.

Wrong thread but correct subject: Nollygoster (1800s): an unprincipled, shameless representative, governed entirely by self-interest.

I like this quote from Mark Drakeford, after being slagged off by La Truss:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62408034

During last night’s hustings in Cardiff, she labelled First Minister Mark Drakeford a "low-energy version of Jeremy Corbyn", described him as being "ashamed of our history" and criticised his decision to scrap an M4 relief road in 2019 for budgetary reasons.

[...]

For his part, Drakeford told BBC Wales he hadn't time to watch the event and had "only seen reports of it".

But, interviewed by Newyddion S4C, he said: "Of course, the two contestants were welcome to make one of their rare visits to Wales and there's nothing that I could say about either of them that they haven't already said about each other."

Not that the billionaire Sunak had any chance, but he certainly doesn't now with a recession looming. Especially when he's the bleeding Chancellor.

To give her the absolute tiniest bit of credit, Truss is getting better at this sort of media stuff. Can see it already tonight.

She'll win in a landslide.

You know what I hate? Incorrect use of the apostrophe in the possessive form of 'it'. It's means it is. Nothing else.
Quite right. Alas, in my haste, I did not notice that my device had added two spurious apostrophes automatically. And I am as much of a grammar Nazi as you.

I have corrected my post.

We are facing some of the most complex and severe economic problems since the 1970s. People will be starving and we could have rioting on the streets. But all that this pair of clowns can offer are bigger tax cuts and no economic plan worthy of the name.
Lay in logs a food stockpile and some back up lighting.
Our only real hope is they make such a cock up we get a general election soon.

Sunak seemed very relaxed, probably because he knows he’s behind. However, the Sky audience seemed to favour him over Truss. There could be a final twist!

advertisement

Back