advertisement

Tory Leadership Runners and Riders

I guess if no-one voted for any of them, Boris would remain PM by default. Is that what you want? Coz that's what you'll get.

I guess if no-one voted for any of them, Boris would remain PM by default. Is that what you want? Coz that's what you'll get.

Well they have managed to list three that look even worse than Johnson, quite a feat. Admittedly they wouldn't even be there but for him, but even so. Maybe they want to lose the next election.

I have vaguely thought that this might be a good one for them to lose; no sign of any good news on the economic front, Brexit still a mess, war in Ukraine, pressure for Scottish independence etc etc. Hand the whole mess over to Labour, let them take a lot of stick. Then turf out the Tory leader 'who lost them the election', find a young untainted candidate ready to fight the 2029 (or whenever) General Election.

You'll have to explain that for me. My mum ran a retail business for a very long time with just her and my osteopath runs her business with no other employees.
That's called: an individual (a person) carrying out business under a separate legal entity called 'a business'. They are not synonymous. When a person just does the activity it's called: a person doing stuff.

That's called: an individual (a person) carrying out business under a separate legal entity called 'a business'. They are not synonymous. When a person just does the activity it's called: a person doing stuff.
Corporation Tax is payable by:
  • a limited company
  • any foreign company with a UK branch or office
  • a club, co-operative or other unincorporated association, eg a community group or sports club
Sole traders and partnerships are treated differently. There is no tax definition for 'business' in the UK that I'm aware of.

Corporation Tax is payable by:
  • a limited company
  • any foreign company with a UK branch or office
  • a club, co-operative or other unincorporated association, eg a community group or sports club
Sole traders and partnerships are treated differently. There is no tax definition for 'business' in the UK that I'm aware of.
I was being simple for a simple answer. Defining the difference between 'a person' and 'a business'. Since you were imagining they were identical. All companies pay different types of tax.

No, I think you're off on your own tangent there. Why do I think small businesses should have a tax free allowance like individuals? Not so that businesses can take out loans or any other macro view, but simply to help lower wage earners (I'm really talking about mico businesses). Such a thing existed until it was scrapped under Cameron in 2015.

I would agree that individuals who take risk and put collateral on the line to earn their living should receive greater tax breaks than those who don’t.

The shared theme seems to me to be that Johnson was far too much of a paup-hugging liberal, and that a good dose of tax cutting and austerity is the only way back to True Tory.

Oh great.

The shared theme seems to me to be that Johnson was far too much of a paup-hugging liberal, and that a good dose of tax cutting and austerity is the only way back to True Tory.

Oh great.

ISTR it was remarked upon quite a few times here on pfm that if Johnson was ousted, their successor might be worse.

I was being simple for a simple answer. Defining the difference between 'a person' and 'a business'. Since you were imagining they were identical. All companies pay different types of tax.
No, I wasn't. Too aggy trying to have a conversation with you, so I'm not going to bother any more.

A web search gives me this definition for VAT: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/vat-business-non-business/vbnb15000.
And for direct tax, it's pretty much the same: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim14005.
The fact that sole trader businesses and partnerships are transparent for income tax purposes does not mean that the business does not exist. Clearly the business and the natural person are different things. A sole trader can sell his/her business, for example.

Anyway, back to your point about businesses having a personal allowance. In the case of sole traders and partners, the natural persons already have a personal allowance, and the business itself does not pay tax. I might have missed something, but I can't see what you are arguing for.

Attila the Stockbroker: "Choosing between the leadership candidates is like choosing which portaloo to use on the third day of a festival".
Not to mention the spectacle of them all knifing each other in public and the grotesque thought of a ‘Boris continuity candidate’.

…and therefore slash public services too.

A vote for the Tories is a vote to make either Health or Education even worse.

Yep, and the truly great thing about what we’re witnessing is that the only people who get to vote are Tories who still remain party members even after the whole Johnson shit show so let’s speculate as to what the probably nastiest 0.4% of the voting public serve us up as a next PM

advertisement

Back