advertisement

Tory Leadership Runners and Riders

maybe they should run the leadership election like love Island. All the candidates sitting around in scanty clothes debating tax cuts

Did all of these cun...err...candidates vote to block Owen Paterson's suspension from Parliament?

The wider point about all Tory candidates coalescing around TINA and tax cuts, or cuts to public spending as they are otherwise known, is that the Labour Party will be drawn in the same direction. The only way that Labour can deliver on its promises to tackle the crises we face, is by government spending and it therefore has to tackle TINA.

#TINA’s a Bitch

I'm not saying they will, but could Labour say 'Taxes don't fund public spending, therefore we can cut taxes and increase public spending'?

I'm not saying they will, but could Labour say 'Taxes don't fund public spending, therefore we can cut taxes and increase public spending'?
They could, but then the only option left to them to fund spending (in the current economic model) is ‘borrowing’. But ‘borrowing’ leads down the same path as deficit spending and joins up with the ‘passing on debt to our children and grandchildren’ narrative which Hunt described today as “immoral”.

They don't need to talk about tax cuts at all. If you're spending in a way that is furnishing society with things it needs, taxes are not even pain. They're only pain when you are cash-strapped, or someone trying to stockpile money.

They could, but then the only option left to them to fund spending (in the current economic model) is ‘borrowing’. But ‘borrowing’ leads down the same path as deficit spending and joins up with the ‘passing on debt to our children and grandchildren’ narrative which Hunt described today as “immoral”.
Okay, they would say that, but 'borrowing' (which I see you put into the twitchy marks) is not like deficit extension/fiscal injection, because borrowing is not real. All it would take is for Labour to outline that GovUK issues its spending and it is the private sector that 'borrows' money, not the other way about.

I’ve just watched the Penny Maudant video. I suspect it represents the absolute maximum quantity of that sort of thing one could possibly get into that timeframe. They must have rammed it in with a massive industrial press followed with some chemical process to suck any trace of irony out. Clever stuff. It totally outdoes the wonderful The Day Today parody, and for that she deserves respect.

Okay, they would say that, but 'borrowing' (which I see you put into the twitchy marks) is not like deficit extension/fiscal injection, because borrowing is not real. All it would take is for Labour to outline that GovUK issues its spending and it is the private sector that 'borrows' money, not the other way about.
Indeed, borrowing is a word without meaning in this context, but it is used as if it does have meaning because in the household model, debt is a burden to he wot is in debt. I was only thinking of the pejorative language that would put borrowing in the same sentence as debt and tie it in with “loading debt…onto future generations”.

Indeed, borrowing is a word without meaning in this context, but it is used as if it does have meaning because in the household, debt is a burden to he wot is in debt. I was only thinking of the pejorative language that would put borrowing in the same sentence as debt and tie it in with “loading debt…onto future generations”.
Yes, I see. Also I am overestimating the extent to which the general response would be: 'what?!! This party is in economic la-la land.' This is what it has come to. You ask people if the government has the power to create money and they say yes...then they also in the same breath say the government goes and 'borrows' it. Doublethink with knobs on.

I’ve just watched the Penny Maudant video. I suspect it represents the absolute maximum quantity of that sort of thing one could possibly get into that timeframe. They must have rammed it in with a massive industrial press followed with some chemical process to suck any trace of irony out. Clever stuff. It totally outdoes the wonderful The Day Today parody, and for that she deserves respect.

Amusing to see suffragettes being shown as an example of Tory values. And I wonder if some of those in the film have given permission for their images to be used in a propaganda video.

Amusing to see suffragettes being shown as an example of Tory values. And I wonder if some of those in the film have given permission for their images to be used in a propaganda video.
Did you ever see that strange programme where they had celebrities living the life of Victorians? Anne Widdecombe was some working-class spinster being exploited (it was fiction) and decided to join the exploitation strike. When questioned as to why she did this when her politics was anti-striker and for the 'free market' she said that this was a 'real struggle' and that this was the heart of real Conservatism. The height of her self-delusion was fascinating TV.

That one passed me by, but then I watch very little television and we didn't have a TV at all for several years.

It all goes way back to the Victorian idea of 'the deserving poor', and indeed even further back to the Tudor idea of 'sturdy beggars'; that is, there are some poor people who really need help, and who are grateful for any help they get, and others who are simply scroungers and/or feckless people whose poverty is their own fault. There's also the mindset that people who lived and died a century or so back were really poor, whilst nobody alive today, in the UK at least, is actually poor; they all own widescreen TVs, smoke 60 cigarettes a day and go to Marbella for their summer holidays.

Losing track on where Tory contenders stand on tax?

Rishi Sunak says don’t believe rivals’ “fairytale” promises of higher spending & lower taxes, while Tom Tugendhat slams “unrealistic” pledges.

The rest say they’d cut tax - but don’t explain how… https://t.co/EDRJKLHWP2

I was trying to remember what stupid things they've each done and said, and i'm afraid it's all turned into a blur. I'm currently thinking Sajid Javid is the least worst candidate, having I think been a tax avoider with a typical banker non-dom arrangement (before public office) but also something about having a consultancy job after his stint as chancellor. Have I missed anything obvious?

It's worth remembering that in a situation where the problem is actually supply not meeting demand, as a result of shocks (and not everyone has an actual spending power problem), the mere reduction of taxes is not helpful. Of course targeted tax relief can be useful, but unless it is met by actual production it is just impotent. The ideology that imagines this all leads to small businesses taking out credit lines and powering the economy lives in cloud cuckoo land.
That may be true but it's not really germane to the point I was making.

advertisement

Back