advertisement

Topping D90 - thoughts?

Ginger

pfm Member
Thinking I might try a Topping D90 MQA with my Bluesound 2i. Anybody using a D90 with or without MQA?

Don’t know about the Topping but I have an SMSL M500 and it really sounds great on my vintage Naim chrome bumper kit. Very or almost impossible to beat for the price and quality is state of the art.

Topping DX3pro & E30 here, if the D90 punches above its weight the way that these do it should be an amazing bit of kit.
TS

Worth listening to first. The measurement folk at audio science review love topping but those guys do tend to use measurements rather than ears for listening. I’d say it is definitely on the 'clinical' side of things sound-wise. It is good value though.

Mytek Liberty.
I need to step in here, the Topping DX3pro I bought replaced a Mytec Liberty, I found the Mytec to be too dry & over analytical. If you like a warmer more analogue sound then you should look at the Roksan K3, if you just want to listen to music, don't like wasting money & are not biased by country of manufacture then Topping DACs should be at the top of your shopping list (IMO).
TS

I doubt you ever had an RME or Mytek, and why on earth would you replace them with an E30 :rolleyes:
Pardon!!!??? Are you calling me a liar? If so I would politely request you withdraw or amend your last post immediately.
I have indeed owned a Mytec Liberty (purchased off Lee at Strictly Stereo) & yes I preferred the Topping DX3pro that replaced it. I have also owned the Roksan K3 which I liked a lot but could on some music veer too much to the warm side & took up too much shelf space.
My last DAC before the E30 was indeed an RME ADI-2 which I sold recently (if you trawl back through the classifieds you will find the listing & pictures of the unit) & yes I contend that in pure SQ terms IMO the E30 is a sideways move at worst from the RME.
You state your preferences as fact & question my honesty whereas I state my preferences as opinions & would never question the honesty of my fellow Fishies
TS

Here is a picture of my system from 2 years ago,
20181026-121459.jpg

Another from a few months ago
20200812-192606.jpg

So... Topping D90, has anyone bought one from Amazon UK and then succeed in getting a full refund when they sent it back 30 days later? Is the D90 supposed to be much better than the DX3?

Expect getting a refund from Amazon will be the same as usual, I received a couple of WD Disks on Saturday, one DOA, return requested and refund sent this afternoon before they have received the disks back, just barcode scanned in at local Post Office.

Bought the D90 couple weeks back and got a thirty quid customs charge via DHL, pinged Shenzhen and in minutes I had the money refunded into my credit card.

Happy Gustard A18 owner here, another ASR beloved akm4499 chipped dac.

Get them before the inevitable price rise due to akm factory fire

I thought the Custard DAC used a Sabre chip?

I might give the D90 a go, although I envisage Amazon saying something like 'you opened the box so we will only refund 2/3'

I thought the Custard DAC used a Sabre chip?

I might give the D90 a go, although I envisage Amazon saying something like 'you opened the box so we will only refund 2/3'
Distance Selling Agreement - they have to refund 100% so long as you haven’t damaged it and tell them within 14 days, in practice COVID means Amazon are giving you longer, Jan 31st at present.
https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distance-selling-for-businesses

advertisement

Back