advertisement

Top ten iconic turntables ...

Forgot about that one, the Zarjaz RZ-5000 mk2 is a nobrainer top ten deck for sure, but I think the mk1 still edges it out for long term enjoyment. Many thought that the decoupling membrane on their mk2's Atmosphere tonearm was too fragile and would need servicing at some point.

I'm just sad that the Mk3 never made it into production. I saw a prototype and its combined belt, direct, idler, magnetic and hydraulic drive system was quite something.

I thought it was okay and was pleased with his end choice. Depends what you consider iconic and I thought he was clear enough it was about the impact rather than radical design, in the UK particularly, and ended up with how far something like a P3 has come to arrive at a P10. Nottingham Analogue went through my mind as has already been said, so did SME, so did the Elite stuff with fluid trough. Tough to please everybody.

I've only ever owned four (4) HiFi turntables. As with you, 50% of them is on the list :)

One of them was an original two motor AR and I've, incidently, done the hammer test!

My XA has way better isolation than my LP12.
Though someone on PFM told me that the Linn had other qualities that are missing from the AR.
That may be so, but my XA sounds superb with its Denon DL110 cartridge.

Interesting there is lots of love for the P3 but not much mention of the P6 ... i happen to have a P3 and LP12 and have to admit for the money the P3 is exceptional different to the LP12 but very musical and exciting , although of course both are cartridge dependant .

A well presented tour. If I were to criticise the selection, I do think Well Tempered, Nottingham and the SL-10 deserve to be in there. Surely all three of those represent more innovation and impact than Brinkmann. I would even include a Kuzma above a Brinkmann, great though the Brinkmann decks are.

Personally I have no interest in Iconic turntables from that list but the reviews of the Sibelius speaker have been exceptionally good not withstanding your comments, I bow to your expertise.

He comes across as a decent affable man to me rather in audio terms like the old country man from years back " jack Hargreaves "

He also gets involved with classical music recording.
Jack Hargreaves was in charge of programming for Southern TV. He was rather more than an affable country gentleman. But he did have those children’s programmes and ‘Out of Town’ to his name.

Having owned only one turntable (not on the lists) I have by association bumped into so many on these lists.

LP12
Lenco 75
Thorens 150
Pioneer pl12
Dual 505 and
AR XA

two that I would like to own are

B&O parallel tracker because of how it looks and works and
AR XA because of its importance, its a shame that the used ones I have seen are either badly treated or silly expensive

Having owned only one turntable (not on the lists) I have by association bumped into so many on these lists.

LP12
Lenco 75
Thorens 150
Pioneer pl12
Dual 505 and
AR XA

two that I would like to own are

B&O parallel tracker because of how it looks and works and
AR XA because of its importance, its a shame that the used ones I have seen are either badly treated or silly expensive

You’re right about the XA.
Not that many good ones about and decent ones are getting expensive.

I bought mine about 20 years ago, for £25.00
It had been stored in a loft for many years.
The bearing was dry, the belt perished and as for the mat...

I spent £25.00 on a new belt and felt mat, oiled the main bearing and pickup arm bearing.
Fitted a Denon DL-110 and made the necessary adjustments to the arm, as I had a copy
of the AR Instruction Booklet.
It sounded superb and still does.

Part 2: Gyro, Oracle, Platine Verdier, B&O, Pink Triangle, Well Tempered, Kuzma Stabi, Clearaudio Innovation, VPI Prime, Dual 505, Brinkmann (relegated) probably in that order. Still no Palmer, Systemdek, Vertere etc. A lot of interesting turntables to choose from.

You’re right about the XA.
Not that many good ones about and decent ones are getting expensive.

I bought mine about 20 years ago, for £25.00
It had been stored in a loft for many years.
The bearing was dry, the belt perished and as for the mat...

I spent £25.00 on a new belt and felt mat, oiled the main bearing and pickup arm bearing.
Fitted a Denon DL-110 and made the necessary adjustments to the arm, as I had a copy
of the AR Instruction Booklet.
It sounded superb and still does.

I like it because at the time when I saw them new, around 1973 they seemed innovative and I loved the simplicity, lucky you managed to get one at the right time.

I turned it off when he made the comment "Can analogue ever outperform digital"...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

advertisement

Back