Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Top ten iconic turntables ...

Discussion in 'audio' started by dave charlton, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

To my mind ‘iconic’ is a combination of truly exceptional design and lasting desirability. It is the stuff that remains highly sought-after long, long after its time. That is certainly how I framed my choices. A 301, 124, SL1200 MkII etc is the E-Type or Leica of turntable design. The Brinkman is the equivalent of a current range-topping high-spec Canon digital camera. Clearly very good, but ultimately no one will care in 40 years.

RJohan likes this.
  2. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Manufacturer and Distributor

Someone who knows very little about audio and even less about equipment design and obtaining great audio performance.

Rosewind and sq225917 like this.
  3. dave charlton

dave charlton <><><><><><><><><>

And some people think they know it all :rolleyes: Looking forward to parts 2 & 3 :)

Old Shatterhand, JTC and tpetsch like this.
  4. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I rather liked the fact that it wasn't a list of megabucks superdecks. Most of the turntables he mentioned were well designed, to a price, and affordable. Even the 301 was £25 in 1954 (equivalent to about £500 today).

That's far more interesting to me than blingy £100k oligarch decks.

RJohan, Tim Jones and SONDEKNZ like this.
  5. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

As I said elsewhere, no ADC Accutrac 4000, no Nakamichis, no Beogram 4000 and three bouncy belt drives that are all pretty similar (and the wrong Thorens - it should have been the TD150!)

I'm underwhelmed by his choices, frankly.

6. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

He owns Pearl Acoustics and he designed the highly regarded loudspeaker shown in that video.

7. PerF

PerF Scandinavian Member

Exactly, the relevance is bland

8. tenpercenter

tenpercenter Don't ya rile 'em.....

Any list should include the original Pink Triangle deck - sonically way ahead of the competition at the time and included real design innovations

Si74, wiresandmore, Ben&Ted and 4 others like this.
  9. G T Audio

Hmmm. Maybe a legend in his own mind...

Anyone who designs a loudspeaker with a single 4" driver really needs a lesson or two in acoustics and loudspeaker design.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  10. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I think 'iconic' is fine as it stands. The Mini wasn't the best performing car of the 1960s but it's no less iconic than the E-Type.

SONDEKNZ likes this.
  11. PerF

PerF Scandinavian Member

Putting a single 4" driver in a cabinet is purely DIY, even I could possible find out.

RJohan likes this.
  12. ssimon

ssimon pfm Member

As has been said, Iconic does not mean best, he must be close with his choices, if the esteemed Tony L has over half the same on his list.

Old Shatterhand likes this.
  13. G T Audio

Couldn't agree more...

Jono_13 likes this.
  14. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied Me in another jacket

Disappointed. How could he mis out the AT Soundburger ;):)

stony, Sue Pertwee-Tyr and Beobloke like this.
  15. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

Personally I have no interest in Iconic turntables from that list but the reviews of the Sibelius speaker have been exceptionally good not withstanding your comments, I bow to your expertise.

He comes across as a decent affable man to me rather in audio terms like the old country man from years back " jack Hargreaves "

He also gets involved with classical music recording.

16. PerF

PerF Scandinavian Member

Sold out and limited ?

17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

If 'iconic' means design innovation/uniqueness and decades of (future?) reliability and popularity, I'd put Tom Fletcher's T/Ts up there; at least the heavy platter ones. Hardly innovative except for the skeleton-like and minimalist appearance, the Orbe etc. has been going now for over a generation. The old fruit-box is surely only iconic 'cos everybody and his dog (HMV?) has had one or lusted after one; design-wise, nothing special or innovative.

18. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Just for fun I asked Google. Seems pretty clear.

[​IMG]

SONDEKNZ likes this.
  19. SONDEKNZ

SONDEKNZ Kiwi, now living in Hangzhou, CHINA

Wow! Tough crowd here.

I thought this chap did quite well and was very sincere.

This stuff is all highly subjective - like telling someone how you like your steak cooked - so no surprise that each of our own lists would differ somewhat.

@paulfromcamden

Like paulfromcamden I was rather relieved that he didn't wade through a long list of megabuck machines on his list.

My pick for his showroom was a late model TECHNICS 1200, so I got that wrong.

I'll certainly give part 2 a look...

20. PerF

PerF Scandinavian Member

I never liked the sound from the old Technics decks.
    Looked awfully too.

Must admit I went with a GR and later a MK7L (upstairs).
    Got slowly used to the looks
    Impressed by the build (apart from cue lever) and performance.
    So easy to have a wide range of cartridges in head shells in use
    Doubt I'd bother with other decks from now.

SONDEKNZ likes this.