advertisement

top five cult movies

That's someone who doesn't understand the title of the film and therefore what that means. As i said, if you don't immediately understand the title and the implications thereof,
What does "Noon Blue Apples" mean and how is anyone supposed to know before seeing the film? If you have to know to understand the film, the film is a failure, surely?

I've never seen it, ever. Never seen the Terminator or Kindergarten Cop, either.
Never Seen Star Wars.
There's always one exception. A favourite in the Music section is "I've never heard/ never owned a copy of X" where X is Rumours, Kind of Blue, DSOTM, Born in the USA, or any number of others that most of us have many times over.

Never Seen Star Wars.
There's always one exception. A favourite in the Music section is "I've never heard/ never owned a copy of X" where X is Rumours, Kind of Blue, DSOTM, Born in the USA, or any number of others that most of us have many times over.

Well, quite. (I've never seen Blade Runner either, but have only just remembered the title).

What does "Noon Blue Apples" mean and how is anyone supposed to know before seeing the film? If you have to know to understand the film, the film is a failure, surely?

Why should filmmakers always "dumb down" to the lowest common denominator? The very essence of cult films is that they play to a specific audience and sometimes, they break out because of given zeitgeist that might be abroad or it just happens to broach a subject that is particularly prescient.

I don't know how many times I have had to explain the ending to "The Exorcist" to non religious types or non catholics. The reality is, it only makes sense if you buy into the catholic view of the world. "Cabin in the Woods" is veritable smorgasbord of in jokes and cult references, to the extent, unless you know your horror films, you're probably missing half the film when watching it.

I am not saying they should - nice attempt at deflection btw.

Can you answer what I actually asked, now?

Talking of which, which film mentioned several times on this thread, reprises this opening? And here's the weird thing, this scene is the scene that I remembered as a child from "The Invaders" for some reason and obviously so did the director of said cult classic.

I am not saying they should - nice attempt at deflection btw.

Can you answer what I actually asked, now?

Why should I? Why should I distill 40 odd years of study down to a simple explanation for someone who can't be bothered? That is one of the very essences of the film itself. It's about the total falsehood that life the universe and everything is some sort of binary choice . It's about how, we as a culture have moved from "superstition to rationalism" and now we realise that quantum physics shows us that, it's neither and it's both. You're in good company, Einstein gave up physics and opted for the "celebrity circuit" because he simply did not have the mind to wrap round what he was in denial of till Bohr proved that which Einstein hated was the reality of the universe. Bohr proved that if anything, it's the dice rolling god and as result, Einstein simply fled the scene.

See the problem is, even if i do explain what the title refers to, you'd be none the wiser because you have no references for it as, if you did, you'd already see the joke. Which is in itself a whole part of the film as it's about a society that has decided morals are binary and the long and auspicious tradition of the "trickster" has been quite deliberately recast as "evil" by monotheistic theologies.

I'm not a huge fan of Ricky Gervais however he has it spot on when he points out. The only difference between an atheist and a christian is that, an atheist doesn't believe in 3780 of the various worldwide deities, christians don't believe in 3779 of them.

Talking of which, which film mentioned several times on this thread, reprises this opening? And here's the weird thing, this scene is the scene that I remembered as a child from "The Invaders" for some reason and obviously so did the director of said cult classic.

That looks worryingly like Norman Lamont.

"AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes."
"This is Lulu and Michele. We're not here, so go to hell! But if you're not a horny creep, leave a message at the beep!"
"I can see you in the kitchen bending over a hot stove. But I can’t see the stove."
"Quellek... by Grabthar's hammer... by the Suns of Worvan... you shall be... avenged."
"Did I ever tell ya that this here jacket represents a symbol of my individuality, and my belief in personal freedom?"

Hey, there are POINTS to be gained by identifying the sources of the above....

Why should I? Why should I distill 40 odd years of study down to a simple explanation for someone who can't be bothered? That is one of the very essences of the film itself. It's about the total falsehood that life the universe and everything is some sort of binary choice . It's about how, we as a culture have moved from "superstition to rationalism" and now we realise that quantum physics shows us that, it's neither and it's both. You're in good company, Einstein gave up physics and opted for the "celebrity circuit" because he simply did not have the mind to wrap round what he was in denial of till Bohr proved that which Einstein hated was the reality of the universe. Bohr proved that if anything, it's the dice rolling god and as result, Einstein simply fled the scene.

See the problem is, even if i do explain what the title refers to, you'd be none the wiser because you have no references for it as, if you did, you'd already see the joke. Which is in itself a whole part of the film as it's about a society that has decided morals are binary and the long and auspicious tradition of the "trickster" has been quite deliberately recast as "evil" by monotheistic theologies.

I'm not a huge fan of Ricky Gervais however he has it spot on when he points out. The only difference between an atheist and a christian is that, an atheist doesn't believe in 3780 of the various worldwide deities, christians don't believe in 3779 of them.

So basically its an "in" joke and unless your "in" then you won't have the intellect to understand it. No wonder the film sucks if you need to study for 40 years before you are allowed to understand it.

So basically its an "in" joke and unless your "in" then you won't have the intellect to understand it. No wonder the film sucks if you need to study for 40 years before you are allowed to understand it.

Does the Exorcist make any sense to the majority of the world who are not catholic? Are you suggesting say "War And Peace" should be boiled down to the level of an 8 year olds' comprehension? Does "The Banshee Chapter" another modern "classic cult film" mean anything to those who don't know H P Lovecraft and have never heard of MK Ultra? Who decides what level you have to dumb down to, to make a film?

Have you considered the position of your logic to be demanding explanations for films which , by dint of their very nature, are niche and aimed at specific markets?

One of the greatest ever horror films, mentioned in this thread, takes place almost wholly in daylight furthermore, there are no deaths in it till the final scene and again, that single death takes place in broad daylight. That total subversion of its own genre is probably partly, why it is considered a "cult classic".

Does the Exorcist make any sense to the majority of the world who are not catholic? Are you suggesting say "War And Peace" should be boiled down to the level of an 8 year olds' comprehension? Does "The Banshee Chapter" another modern "classic cult film" mean anything to those who don't know H P Lovecraft and have never heard of MK Ultra? Who decides what level you have to dumb down to, to make a film?

Have you considered the position of your logic to be demanding explanations for films which , by dint of their very nature, are niche and aimed at specific markets?

One of the greatest ever horror films, mentioned in this thread, takes place almost wholly in daylight furthermore, there are no deaths in it till the final scene and again, that single death takes place in broad daylight. That total subversion of its own genre is probably partly, why it is considered a "cult classic".

Yes because Catholicism is not restricted to those who are catholic, it is not a secret society.

Good or even cult films are there because they work at many levels. Many films, even mainstream such as Tarantino use obscure references that amuse themselves and aficionado's as well as making an entertaining film that works on a simpler level.

I have not seen Noon Blue Apples but am looking the references up so I will probably try and dig into it to see if it is worth the effort. Love a conspiracy theory.

A good friends daughter is making her way in the esoteric film world as a reviewer and I think has probably seen pretty much every film released even aged 18. I will ask her opinion as she has a very particular interest in very unusual films especially if they are well made.

Yes because Catholicism is not restricted to those who are catholic, it is not a secret society.

Good or even cult films are there because they work at many levels. Many films, even mainstream such as Tarantino use obscure references that amuse themselves and aficionado's as well as making an entertaining film that works on a simpler level.

I have not seen Noon Blue Apples but am looking the references up so I will probably try and dig into it to see if it is worth the effort. Love a conspiracy theory.

A good friends daughter is making her way in the esoteric film world as a reviewer and I think has probably seen pretty much every film released even aged 18. I will ask her opinion as she has a very particular interest in very unusual films especially if they are well made.

Secret has nothing to do with it. Virtually all films are based on an assumption that you accept a certain set of ground rules. The point is, those ground rules are almost entirely based on Western cultural values. The ending of the Exorcist makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to the majority of the world's population and I've even had to explain to catholics who go.."Oh yeah, right , yeah, I see now, yeah that makes sense".

Flip it the other way round and you've been offered a part in a film and have been sent the script. It's an action/war film and your lines run something akin to. "When this is all over I'm going home to raise horses on a 100 acres and never clean my boots again" ...... Now you tell me what you already know about the character you're going to play from that single line?

Rockmeister..a few Scottish pearlers:
Gregory's Girl.
That Sinking Feeling.
Local Hero.
Whisky Galore.
The Frankie Miller gangster film....or was that a Play For Today?

advertisement

Back