advertisement

Top 5 Integrated Amps

Tell us more...

The best solid-state integrated amps I've had in my system recently were both Denon models (1600NE and A110); very natural sounding and much preferred to the Luxman A550AX II and Marantz SA-KI Ruby.

It's a behemoth from 1977 and their top integrated at that time: separately wound large transformer; three input self-adjusting phono stage and built with quality components throughout. I have all sorts of gear and that is the longest component in my system now.

Although I must say always refreshing to listen to a budget amp once cleaned all the switches and connections on an old Denon PMA250 it's rather good if not great. Very enjoyable tho even with tiny Q acoustic speakers my dad has

Were you away before the nait XS then? Have one of the first series

To be honest never have I heard of the XS, I do not follow hi-fi trends or listen to other kits. I never have time, I like going to shows but now my walking is crap and I am knocked over a lot by crowds even on the London Tube, at Waterloo I fell over on the escalators and was stepped on , got rescued by Station staff.

Omg that terrible reminds why I stay up in the less populated parts of the world.
I must say I did enjoy the Nait5i that linnfomaniac now has. The XS was offered px so took a punt on it. Seems at least as good as the 5i

I did the first iteration and everybody loved It may have changed a bit since then, a good company and a great bunch of guys to work with, really loved my time there.
Fantastic, it’s the first one I have. I’ve just serviced it myself and it sounds fantastic, nice clean layout, easy to work on. It’s a keeper this one!

Glad you are happy with it mate
I’ve partnered it up with the matching CDP and my Royd speakers, it’s ousted a full active Linn Kaber system. Don’t get me wrong, the Kabers are more detailed and resolving, but not as engaging… if pure fun and involvement is what you’re after, the Naim/Royd combo has it in bucket loads!

They’re MK1 Sapphires. The sound they produce with the Naim gear is huge, I’ve heard some people describe them as very bass light, but I have them three feet into the room and they have a very tight, fast, punchy bass performance. Granted, it isn’t sub bass deep, but what’s there is very present and very tuneful. The sound stage they produce is expansive in all dimensions… the myth that Naim and Royd products can’t do “round earth” things like bass and sound staging is completely busted here.

From personal experience:

Exceptional
Densen BEAT B100 (wish I'd kept it)
Krell KAV-300iL

Very good
Arcam Alpha 10
Sony TA-F630ESD
Audiolab 8000LX

but if I were looking now I wouldn't overlook Electrocompaniet, Sonneteer, Primare, Belles, Bel Canto, modern Exposures etc. some of which I have briefly used or heard but not lived with long term. There'll be others too...

Ones I've owned I'd say ; MF AMS35i, Accuphase E560, Devialet D Premier, EAR 899, Allnic T2000 current and best so far for me and finally Unison Research S9.
Had the pleasure of hearing a Kondo Ongaku in Edinburgh and it's different levels from them all, removed totally what I thought was my personal preferences in regards to amplifier characteristics - a real epiphany for the ears.

From personal experience:

Exceptional
Densen BEAT B100 (wish I'd kept it)
Krell KAV-300iL

Very good
Arcam Alpha 10
Sony TA-F630ESD
Audiolab 8000LX

but if I were looking now I wouldn't overlook Electrocompaniet, Sonneteer, Primare, Belles, Bel Canto, modern Exposures etc. some of which I have briefly used or heard but not lived with long term. There'll be others too...
Densen and Primare are on my “to do list” along with Copland, Electrocompaniet, and hopefully Mark Levinson if I find something at the right price.

I’ve owned and enjoyed all manner of British amps and a few Jap ones and I’ve tried a Classe’ too but didn’t hold onto it for long because it was too big for my second system, sounded lovely though, I remember the dealer describing it as like budget Mark Levinson… the reality is, most of them have brought something good to the table, very few have been really naff.

Densen and Primare are on my “to do list” along with Copland, Electrocompaniet, and hopefully Mark Levinson if I find something at the right price.

I’ve owned and enjoyed all manner of British amps and a few Jap ones and I’ve tried a Classe’ too but didn’t hold onto it for long because it was too big for my second system, sounded lovely though, I remember the dealer describing it as like budget Mark Levinson… the reality is, most of them have brought something good to the table, very few have been really naff.
The Classe CP-800 was a fab bit of kit along with their mono blocks a seriously good system.

The Classe CP-800 was a fab bit of kit along with their mono blocks a seriously good system.
The amp I had was a little earlier than that, it was a CAP-151, fantastic sounding thing, beautifully built too, but pretty deep (as deep as it is wide when you factor in the rear connections), so it hung over the front of the compact rack in my space limited study. Some of their power amps are too physically large for any HIFI rack and need to be stood on a platform on the floor, and that’s what counts them out for me, I don’t have the space to house them practically, otherwise I’d have loved to try some in my main system, it’s lovely sounding stuff.
The later CAP-2100 always caught my eye too… it looks less imposing than the CAP-151 because the front is curved at the sides, but it’s deceptive, it’s still a chunky amp at 16” deep not including the rear connections.

The only other one I might add to that list is the Yamaha AS30000, but not sure if it's better than those others.
Mac
Yes, read good things about the Yamaha A-S3000. There are other exotic designs such as FM Acoustics and Goldmund to name a few, but can't list them all here and they probably cost too much for the OP's budget.

advertisement

Back