advertisement

Top 5 Integrated Amps

It is very pleasing to see folk liking the other designs I did and modified.
The Naim Nait 5i was a challenge it had to keep with the sound of Naim but be much better at the top end and cost less to make than the Nait 5 standard.
The mods on the Super Nait proved to be fun, the poor amp had to drive high capacitive loads (long crap cables) and in the end after I changed a few idea it drove into 100uF with ease, a great beast.
Al the above was done in the period 2005-2011 just as I was starting TQ speaker cables then known as Catch 22.

I have had a lot and heard a lot, but I always return to the Denon PMA850, which has once again just seen off a new, £5.6k integrated, on demo in my system for a full week.

My favorites I've owned:
Sony TA-F770ES - Loads of power, great MM/MC phonostage and amazing build.
Denon PMA2000AE / 2500NE - Like the 770ES above, very similar. The NE version has a great built in DAC too.
Bryston B60 - Super compact, great flexibility to run as a seperate Pre/Power and just all round great amp.

Not owned but I have also heard the Audionote Oto on a few occasions which I really liked. On a similar valve note, mentions to the Decware Zen, Puresound A10 and Audion Sterling although all three somewhat more limited on power/speaker matching.

SS:
LFD zero LE
Lavardin IS
EWA Claymore
Exposure XV
Exposure 2010/3010
Densen DM10
Electrocompaniet ECI-1
Roksan K3

tubes:
audio note OTO
Tube Technology Unisis
Leben CS300
Verdier 210
Jadis Orchestra
Audio Innovations 500
CR Development Kalypso

It is very pleasing to see folk liking the other designs I did and modified.
The Naim Nait 5i was a challenge it had to keep with the sound of Naim but be much better at the top end and cost less to make than the Nait 5 standard.
The mods on the Super Nait proved to be fun, the poor amp had to drive high capacitive loads (long crap cables) and in the end after I changed a few idea it drove into 100uF with ease, a great beast.
Al the above was done in the period 2005-2011 just as I was starting TQ speaker cables then known as Catch 22.
Did you design the Nait 5i then? If so, bravo, very nice affordable amp, really enjoying mine in my second system!

Simple, JVC AX-Z1010TN. Buy and never worry about looking for an upgrade!

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/jvc-ax-z1010tn-review.168851/

jvc_ax_z1010-2.jpg

I've got a Leben 300, which I love but, according to all reviews, it needs to be carefully matched to speakers.

A friend whose system I listen to a lot has got a Hegel integrated - can't remember which model ( i think 390 but might be the next model up) : it is very powerful and would drive any speaker. He replaced a Musical Fidelity integrated ( one of the M 5 models) and we both could hear a step up in terms of presence, tone and timbre.

( As an aside: More people should talk abut tone and timbre when discussing amps IMO - having moved on from Naim I now think it is much more important than PRaT)

Currently own a naim 5i and a roksan k2 (which ive had for around 8 years). I paid around £500 for each amp. can't recommend them highly enough if someone was looking for an amp in that price range.

now looking for the next step up and recently listened to an xs3 and a supernait 3 and that were pretty impressive.

I've got a Leben 300, which I love but, according to all reviews, it needs to be carefully matched to speakers.

That applies to any little valve amp. 10-12 Watts from a pair of EL84s sounds superb but only goes so far!

List below is from what I have heard properly or owned only, in very rough price order...

Nad 3150
Exposure X
Claymore serviced & updated
MF E100
Marantz PM17KI
Restek Challenger or Fantasy
MF A1000
Roksan Caspian, all versions
Chord CPM2600

EDIT
Forgot the ATC SIA-150(original)

Last edited:
I can only really say the best 5 integrateds I’ve owned for a decent period of time, and really enjoyed. A demo with someone else’s kit in someone else’s room, makes it difficult to be objective about how good something actually is!

In alpha order.

Gryphon Diablo
Hegel H590
Lavardin IT
Luxman 590
YBA IA350

Vitus SIA-030 / RI-101
Audionet Humboldt
Accuphase E-800 / E-650
Luxman L-509X / L-590AXII
Pass Labs INT-250

The only other one I might add to that list is the Yamaha AS30000, but not sure if it's better than those others.
Mac

I have had a lot and heard a lot, but I always return to the Denon PMA850, which has once again just seen off a new, £5.6k integrated, on demo in my system for a full week.

Tell us more...

The best solid-state integrated amps I've had in my system recently were both Denon models (1600NE and A110); very natural sounding and much preferred to the Luxman A550AX II and Marantz SA-KI Ruby.

The best integrateds I've owned were an Exposure Super XV and an Inca Tech Claymore 2. Both 90's amps retailing for around £1k with excellent MM/MC stages.

Both knocked spots off an 8000a.

I've always gone pre/power/phono since as I find speakers and power amps pair nicely, whereas frontends and speakers are pretty agnostic.

If I had £3k now, I'd get exactly what I have got - Quad QSP, Sugden class A active pre and one of Jez's superlative transimpedance phono stages - and blow the rest on discogs.

advertisement

Back