advertisement

Tool recommendation - locking tweezers

bugbear

pfm Member
I've seen several of these around the benches of people who's constructional skills I greatly respect.

So, on a recent Amazon order, I added a set of three (various tip angles), for £3.99 :eek:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017MP5CQM/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

All that follows should be read bearing the price upper most in mind.

The construction is a little crude, but errs on the side a robustness, not thinness. The tips are well-enough ground, and the springs much stronger than I expected.

The biggest problem is finish - both the metal and wood parts have a multitude of burred edges and sharp corners, all unpleasant to the hand in use.

Fortunately, as anyone who has done metal work or woodwork can attest, sandpaper and filing requires tremendous care to preserve neat, sharp edges and corners. If you just wish to remove them, almost any old flailing with sandpaper will serve.

I used soft cloth backed 220 grit, which I happen to have, but an old paper backed sheet of 180 grit, with the grain of the paper utterly destroyed with use, would also work well.

The resulting tool is still not a thing of beauty - you'll never mistake it for something made by Lindstrom - but they work well, and are comfortable in hand.

Did I mention they only cost £3.99 for the 3?

BugBear

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I now use surgical forceps similar to these (Amazon) after watching so many YouTubers in the retro audio and computer restoration scene using them. They are great as they can very gently latch to hold the wire you are soldering, get into quite tight places etc. I got them before rebuilding my pair of Leak TL12 Plus amps earlier in the year and they were a game-changer! Mine have a slightly offset head which make them even easier to get into valve-bases etc.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I imagine you're both talking about haemostats, which are "locking forceps".

I already had those.

BugBear

Not all locking forceps are haemostats, a word which sounds American in origin.
There is a vast range of locking forceps, mostly designed by surgeons to solve a problem such as holding tissue in a particular way to make a task easier, for carrying swabs, to assist with haemostasis etc. Some are named after their designer.
There is also a big selection of needle holders which are similar in design but have jaws more suited to gripping a needle, particularly a curved needle.
Not only will you find these items useful for holding bits and pieces but also as heat sinks on wires whilst soldering delicate components.
Some of mine must be getting on for 50 years old….
Cheers Andy.

What looks like the same set is £3:45 Inc post on fleebay...
Might get a set even though I have the "locking scissors" type already

Locking tweezers? I can see the spring action, but where is the locking mechanism? Those look similar to the heatsink tweezers I have, which are not locking.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back