advertisement

Tool - Fear Inoculum

MasterTape

pfm Member
A new Tool Album is obviously worthy of discussion so why not collect some impressions in a thread.

I'm at least not disappointed but will need many spins before knowing where to put it compared to previous work.

Danny Carey is in immense form. Anyone who appreciates good drumming needs to get this record. The engineers have done a great job at letting his open ringing kit breathe.

I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I'm a big fan and I've been waiting for this for years. I wonder when it will come out on vinyl? The only physical version available at the moment is the special £75 CD, with an HD video screen built in to the case.

I’m like MasterTape : first impression is I don’t know yet if I will love the album or if it will collect dust.......

Need to be in the right mood to appreciate anyway but so far prefer the Undertow album.

Drummer performance is good though.

On first listen really not impressed.
Somewhere between mogadon-metal and comatose-prog.
I'll give it another try when in a more appropriate mood.

I gave it two listens so far. First listen I thought it sounded ok, second listen I started to get into it. Any tool album needs way more listens though, so hard to tell.

I think it's certainly a 'proper' Tool album and that's the big relief for me. More coherent musically and thematically than 10,000 days, but that's perhaps easy to achieve.

Lateralus took years to really 'gel' so I'm just happy that things start to click and stick already.

Found it tedious and boring for the most part. But I agree that Tool albums need a while to bed in with a listener. Hope I can stay awake long enough... ;)

I'm getting into it now, there are no obvious "single" tracks like Vicarious from 10,000 Days or The Grudge from Lateralus, but it's definitely a grower.

I am really loving it. No standout tracks except for invincible. At 8 mins it goes to a whole new level of awesomeness

Never heard a single note of Tool before this thread, and I am not a Metalhead... but have been enjoying this album quite a lot, and to me it sounds closer to post-rock than what I'd call metal.

Never heard a single note of Tool before this thread, and I am not a Metalhead... but have been enjoying this album quite a lot, and to me it sounds closer to post-rock than what I'd call metal.

Give Lateralus a try as well when you've satiated your thirst with this one. It's a superlative album, and an exemplary rock recording. Several tiers above this one in terms of mixing and mastering.

I'm loving this album, the longer tracks are immense - do agree that multiple listens are required to get this group

First introduction was when I heard Meytal Cohen doing one of their tracks - yes their albums do take some getting into - an interesting percussionist. I've yet to put them through the hi-fi.......

Anyone know if there is a 'normal' cd/vinyl release planned instead of the bonkers priced arty nonsense currently available ?

I'll buy it if there is.

I am trying Lateralus too... but tbh not enjoying it so much, more metallic sounding to my ears and the singer has an annoying voice - is it same vocalist on the new album? If so he's clearly improved with age or done some training!

Maynard James Keenan is the lead vocalist for Tool & A Perfect Circle - always has been

advertisement

Back