advertisement

Too many sources!

Must admit, I'm with Wylton in liking to have another upmarket T/T but there's no room so I have two arms on one T/T. I'd love to return to my roots with a quality R2R, but that would be ridiculous at my time of life.

I had the 401 as a student ('70s) and the 88 prior to that, so I can empathise there. I started with a 42, then a 32.5, went to 82, then added 2 x HiCaps, then 52, ending up with 552. I'd no idea the 12 was so revered though. On each upgrade it was clear where the improvement lay and the 52 was lovely with phono cards but better with Prefix on my Orbe.

I can't see a problem is selecting which T/T you're going to spin and plug that one in. After all, you're not exactly A-B testing them!

Now if you had an E.A.R. 912, you could keep two cart's plugged in, select either MM or MC, get another stage and plug it into a spare line input (or 2) Job done.;)

Instead of 7 sources, I only have 2 sources but 3 pairs of speakers and corresponding amps.

Set up another system in another space and split the sources 4 + 3?

There is no point, I just have an interest in record players, particularly vintage ones from the 60's or thereabouts. Hence I have:

• Michell Hydraulic Reference
  • Garrard 401
  • Lenco 88
In addition, there is a modified Stanton ST.150 & an LP12 upstairs.

Consider it my weakness; I must admit, I don't make life easy for myself and I don't limit that to hi-fi either tbh!
Stop beating yourself up. I have 8 active tables going to a single preamp Emotiva - XSP-1. There are 5 phono preamps, with Musical Fidelity taking care of three tables.

XSP has one phono and 4 RCA inputs, plus 2 XLRs. I have tons of other sources, including 8 Track and VCR. I use 4 way XLR switch to feed one balanced input and a 5 way RCA switch to feed the processor loop input.

Additionally, I have 4 way switches feeding two of the inputs in the 5-way. That takes care of all of my tuners.

Wouldn’t a high quality switch box suffice, short point to point wired by a pro?

Yes, I made some enquiries about commissioning a switch box, though I am, in all honesty, more than capable of making one myself. That may be way I'll go.

Stop beating yourself up. I have 8 active tables going to a single preamp Emotiva - XSP-1. There are 5 phono preamps, with Musical Fidelity taking care of three tables.

XSP has one phono and 4 RCA inputs, plus 2 XLRs. I have tons of other sources, including 8 Track and VCR. I use 4 way XLR switch to feed one balanced input and a 5 way RCA switch to feed the processor loop input.

Additionally, I have 4 way switches feeding two of the inputs in the 5-way. That takes care of all of my tuners.

That's way cool; I was beginning to think that I was the only one with a multiplicity of sources, but then you came along!

When I was running the NAC 102, I had:
  • 401/Aro/XX2MkII into Naim prefix
  • Lenco 88/Zeta DV20XL & Michell Hydraulic Reference/Aro/Troika Sharing an Avondale based home-built phono stage with a 2 x way switch.
  • Stanton ST.150/Rega RB202/Rega Carbon into a Rega mini-phono
  • Nakamichi 670ZX into the tape input
  • Naim CDS, Auralic Aries mini into the remaining inputs
The lovely little NAC 12 is somewhat restricting by virtue of its limited number of inputs.

I don't think the problem is too many sources - but perhaps not enough amps and speakers ;)

I already have another full system upstairs!

Yes, I made some enquiries about commissioning a switch box, though I am, in all honesty, more than capable of making one myself. That may be way I'll go.

That's way cool; I was beginning to think that I was the only one with a multiplicity of sources, but then you came along!

When I was running the NAC 102, I had:

• 401/Aro/XX2MkII into Naim prefix
  • Lenco 88/Zeta DV20XL & Michell Hydraulic Reference/Aro/Troika Sharing an Avondale based home-built phono stage with a 2 x way switch.
  • Stanton ST.150/Rega RB202/Rega Carbon into a Rega mini-phono
  • Nakamichi 670ZX into the tape input
  • Naim CDS, Auralic Aries mini into the remaining inputs
The lovely little NAC 12 is somewhat restricting by virtue of its limited number of inputs.
You’re not on your own I have 4 TTs running at the minute, various stages and carts in rotation :)

Yes, I love having more than one turntable & they all get used. Also, using quite expensive mc cartridges, the wear gets spread evenly between them.

Likewise all 4 see regular use, Mrs AA has the PT Too, I have a 1200GR in the office

Main Lounge system:

Gyro SE/PU7/XX2Mk2
1200G/Cadenza Bronze
into​
Lux EQ-500​

You should make a distinction between the turntables for listening to and the collectible ones.
I have a Transcriptors Hydraulic which, however, I no longer use as it is obsolete and therefore is not connected to the rest of the system.

I have a Transcriptors Hydraulic which, however, I no longer use as it is obsolete and therefore is not connected to the rest of the system.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by that. A sizeable chunk of pfm members use equipment that is no longer manufactured (@Tony L is a case in point), but they still derive a lot of pleasure from using it. I still use these so called obsolete turntables. In fact, I would go as far as to say that the only items of hi-fi that I own that are currently in production are the DL-103 and the XX2MKII, oh & probably the loudspeaker cables.

Get an input selector. Dirt cheap.

Yes, as I mentioned, that's most likely what I will do, but I am interested in how others solved this problem.

Wylton, you have my sympathy. I only have two decks though I have 3 systems. I could easily have gone to 4 decks too but somehow I stopped myself. I foresee the 3rd one though when I retire in a few months. I very deliberately stopping myself from getting into R2R tape decks as I knew what would happen. Just be grateful you aren't in traction engines...or maybe you are! Enjoy your pleasures.

And here I am trying to streamline my sources. Its a funny old hifi world, isn't it.

I'm not under any pressure here to reduce the box count though, provided that I don't try to escape from the confines of the room in which the equipment is held; well, I can escape - on a good day, but the equipment can't!

Wylton, you have my sympathy. I only have two decks though I have 3 systems. I could easily have gone to 4 decks too but somehow I stopped myself. I foresee the 3rd one though when I retire in a few months. I very deliberately stopping myself from getting into R2R tape decks as I knew what would happen. Just be grateful you aren't in traction engines...or maybe you are! Enjoy your pleasures.

Hobbies like this do seem to be a male thing, not always appreciated by the distaff side of the family! The amount of stuff that I come across, that I have to tell my self no, you wouldn't believe - just as well that my wallet isn't as fat as it used to be! To make matters worse, I have recently found some enthusiasm to learn how to play the guitar; you can do that while I'm out, says my wife!

How do you decide which vinyl to play on which deck? Or do you buy 4 copies of everything and start each deck simultaneously and switch between them to see which you prefer? :)

advertisement

Back