Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Too many sources!

Discussion in 'audio' started by wylton, Apr 12, 2021.

1. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

I have recently replaced the Naim NAC102 with a NAC12 that I have become rather enamoured with. The trouble is, that the NAC 12 only has 3 x inputs, whereas I have 7 x sources!
    • 4 x turntables
    • Cassette deck
    • Streamer
    • CD player
    I can't be the only one who has this issue, so what do you guys do?

I have a second NAC 12 that I am planning to refurbish, so one thought was to run the two side-by-side and just periodically swap pre-amps, but that might become a PITA in the long run.

Or I could just unplug on source and plug in another, but again, I think I'd soon tire of that.

I could buy/make/commission a switch box, but I don't want to suffer insertion losses.

I have been thinking of buying a NAC 52 (not just for the extra inputs).

When I was running the NAC 102, I had an external phono stage, switching between the Michell and the Lenco, so 6 x inputs was enough.

2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Get rid of 3 turntables.

Pretty simple;)

3. wylton

I think on balance, that I'd rather get rid of the Cassette deck, Streamer and CD player!

4. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

Never heard the 52. I guess you already know that 32.5 can connect 2 turntables plus 3 DIN inputs. Not as musically coherent snd effortless as a 12 but more beefy and smoother sound.

wylton likes this.
  5. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Woodface has the answer.

I used to be unwise enough to have six turntables in the house with enough phono stage inputs for four... I have since given two tts (JBE and Denon) and sold two (LP12 and Technics) along with the single input EAR 834P.
    Once you have an SME 20 you tend not to bother with the others.

You could also rip your CDs and simplify the digital side of things to one NAC input.

That or get a more input-rich pre :)

Andy1912, Colin L and Woodface like this.
  6. wylton

You know, I'd forgotten that, despite the fact that I used to own one, many moons ago!

Charlie_1 likes this.
  7. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Run 2 TTs with MC and 2 with MM into 2 phonostages. That's 2 sources reduced.

8. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I have Daddies and Tomato sauce.
    Oh, sources...

Darren likes this.
  9. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I fail to see the point in having more than one TT.

10. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

There’s a highly-rated phono stage - is it a Musical Fidelity? - that has 4 inputs, so that would *almost* get you there.

Makes sense to have a load of record players, IMO.

11. wylton

There is no point, I just have an interest in record players, particularly vintage ones from the 60's or thereabouts. Hence I have:

• Michell Hydraulic Reference
    • Garrard 401
    • Lenco 88
    In addition, there is a modified Stanton ST.150 & an LP12 upstairs.

Consider it my weakness; I must admit, I don't make life easy for myself and I don't limit that to hi-fi either tbh!

12. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Pick your two favourites & sell the others. I always liked the idea of running two completely different TTs but I never remotely came close to acting upon it. Ultimately we are all different.

13. deserter

deserter pfm Member

I’m glad its not just me who thought the NAC 12 was better than what followed it

Eyebroughty likes this.
  14. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

A phonostage(s) with multiple inputs and a preamp with a minimum of 3 line inputs and a tape loop, shouldn't be too hard.

15. wylton

Agreed, but the question was in context of using the Naim NAC 12 pre-amp, of which I have become rather fond.

16. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Don't get rid of your Naim NAC 12, you would regret it.

They are very special pre amps.

Gervais Cote likes this.
  17. Anh

Anh Naim ghetto blaster

What Cassette deck you have?

18. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

I thought the Nac 12 very similar to an 82, the 12 had been dual railed, and the 82 had a pair of power supplies. Same as many, I'd like to try a 52 at home, but the entrance fee keeps rising:confused:

I'd suggest the highly rated phono stage that'll take 4 TT's is the Cyrus Signature rather than MF?

19. wylton

Yes, doesn't it just. I've been kicking myself, because I have missed several fine samples (including a couple here on pfm) in the last few months.

Oh, and yes, you are right about the Cyrus Signature phono stage; it can indeed take up to four turntables!

20. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

I have a Cyrus Sig bought cos it takes 4 TT’s, looked at replacing it with the MF NuVista but kept the Cyrus, only issue I have with the Cyrus is it only goes down to 220pF for MM.

Wouldn’t a high quality switch box suffice, short point to point wired by a pro?