advertisement

Tony's records on ebay

MUTTY1

Waste of bandwidth
25 for sale and only 3 no bids [so far] you must be doing something right.

As a bidder [ not here] having multiple items at the same physical time can be a problem. Five minutes between auctions of likely simular items serves both parties.

Just a small point.

As a bidder [ not here] having multiple items at the same physical time can be a problem. Five minutes between auctions of likely simular items serves both parties.

After selling well over 100 items on eBay I’ve only ever sold two items to the same bidder in a single auction once. The current batch is the largest amount I have ever had listed at one time, I usually only list 8-10 at a go. The timings are close this time as I’ve recently moved over to doing my listings in advance using eBay’s Turbo Lister application (which is really rather cool). Previously listings were a good few minutes apart as I had to manually plonk them up through the eBay web site - as I use a 56k dial up connection the speed is anything but fast.

Tony.

Usually 4 - 5 LP's at a time just to keep the post costs down.
So many sellers have massive lists that it is often viable to find a album you want then piggy back the rest. So far, by flicking between AllMusic.com and ebay promising looking stuff can be bought as a punt with post just an extra quid.

I'm starting to explore jazz so this a useful way to buy. Given the high bid hits on your offers this probably reflects customers who know exactly what the want to add to already plump collections.

Paul

I'm starting to explore jazz so this a useful way to buy.

Make sure you look at jazz albums internationally - there are some incredible bargains to be had from the US. Records you would expect to pay 30-50 quid for here often can be had for a few dollars in the States...

Tony.

for the moment the stuff everyone with a interest has already got is my target. The regular sellers try to keep the base price up but occasionally relent to get rid of stagnent stock. I do my hunting at work; I supervise rather than work, which means about 10 hours twice a week at night to seek out the goodies. Any other way would hardly be worth the effort [ given my lack of expertise in this area].

Paul

PS: Does the turbo-listing provide economies of scale? I have watched various dealers and given appalling bid hits can't see how they are making any return.

PS: Does the turbo-listing provide economies of scale?

There is no financial benefit of using Turbo Lister. The advantages are that you can prepare all your listings in advance over a period of time and then upload all in one go. It normally takes me a good while to dig up a nice batch to sell, I wait until I have 10-20 or so rather than having just the odd 1 or 2 - it makes for less time queuing in the Post Office if I can take many items at once! The other big benefit of Turbo Lister is that as a database application it stores all listings which makes uploading a similar item in the future simple and quick.

Tony.

PS I found an excellent signed copy of Eno’s Discrete Music today – it will be meeting eBay quite soon!

Turbo Lister also has the benefit of letting you develop a standard layout style in HTML and then store it as a template. After that you only need to input the variable information for each item. TL doesn't have a very good user interface though and there are some bugs in it. I must have a look at Tony's offerings on eBay - where do I find them?

I think they've all ended by now - I was a little bit tempted by the Josef K.

They all finished yesterday, the next batch will be going up in a couple of weeks time.

I was a bit disapointed to see the copy of Josef K's The Only Fun In Town only made 4.99 - I spent about ten years hunting for my own copy and paid far more than that! It is a stunningly good album. The copy I eBayed had a pretty stuffed cover but the vinyl was almost as new, I found it for 2 quid so still came out ahead! Ebay is weird in that many genuinely rare albums often close for peanuts whereas far more common stuff can make silly money.

Tony.

The Only Fun In Town - one of my favourites - worth loads more than a fiver! Named my band after a track on it - Fun 'N' Frenzy.

Memories...........

Rich

advertisement

Back