Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tonearm Identification Help Please?!

Discussion in 'classic' started by Chorlton Analogue, Jan 16, 2023.

1. Chorlton Analogue

Chorlton Analogue Trade: Chorlton Analogue

THANKS ALL

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It looks quite DIY. A Small manufacturer, or an early Nottm A?

3. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Looks like a hybrid with some SME bits.

4. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Garrard 4HF head shell

5. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

We've no idea what it is, but we want £1,000 anyway.

6. narabdela

narabdela who?

Oh...kay. o_O

7. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

Yes and clearly quite extensively modified.

That pretty much confirms it as some sort of DIY project even if it's quite a well executed one.

8. Craig B

My guess it that there isn't an actual SME part on it, other than possibly those 4 x rubber mounting bushings.

There is also a fundamental flaw in the design logic in that the tracking force outrigger should be on the other side such that it doubles as lateral balance weight for the arm's 'J' shape. Wouldn't need those cylinders hanging off either side of the counterweight(s) then (which only appear to be unbalancing things more).

9. Chorlton Analogue

Hi, thanks all. There aren't any SME parts on it. The base is a similar shape but isn't SME. To be clear we are not asking £1000 for it! I just had to make a listing to be able to add a photo to show people.

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

As others have suggested I think it is a pretty competent DIY job with a few scavenged parts here and there. There is some very nice engineering there, nicely machined bearing housing, counterweights etc, so if it is DIY it was certainly done by someone who knew how to use a lathe. Any clues on the bottom? What is the armbase/cable connection like?

PS Looking closer at it I suspect the SME-influenced base may not even belong to it as that would need two screw holes on the part that mounts to it, where there are three holes so it doesn’t align.

narabdela likes this.
  11. wer

wer pfm Member

Please help the visually challenged - i can not see any picture of a tonearm :confused:

12. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

There was a link to a place-holder page, just to be able to post a link easily. The link has been removed.

13. Chorlton Analogue

I got rid of it because I felt the thread had come to a natural conclusion.

Vinny likes this.
  14. wer

wer pfm Member

Would have been curious, because i just bought an unidentified arm that meanwhile turned out to be a Neat GA-22S, which also has an SME-type base.

15. Craig B

Funny that. I was thinking that the bedplate (if not the collar) of mystery tonearm looked rather NEAT, as did the armrest. It wasn't the same bedplate though, as the NEAT has more flared corners (well, slightly rounded ends, the curvature of which doesn't extend into the corners).