advertisement

[WTD] tonearm counterweight, to fit 10mm dia stub

Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Accuphase all the way down
As per thread title. I have a tonearm which has an Ortofon Concorde stylus fitted. I've got a suitable headshell for a standard cartridge, but the counterweight has neither the mass, nor stub extension to cope with the added weight. It's quite a slender stub, 9.8mm so a 10mm diameter hole would be ideal. Not sure what weight I'd like, but I guess 75-100g would be about right.
So, anybody got anything rolling around in a drawer just waiting to be swapped for a few beer vouchers?

Use Blutak on the current weight, or use Blutak to add something like washers, and then weigh the whole lot when happy, so that you know what you actually want. Don't guess.
The CBW is a major contributor to tonearm effective mass, so you might bear that in mind too. (Higher CBW mass, lower tonearm effective mass - not logical, but definitely the case).

9 or 10mm SS (penny, repair, mudguard, bicycle - all the same thing) washers used with current CBW might well work well enough. 9mm should fit as washers are always comfortably over-size.

Only experiment would tell anyone, but a CBW that uses a grubscrew MIGHT produce a different effect to one of the same weight using internal O rings to clamp it in place.

advertisement

Back