advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

The only claim I was making for RTI was that the early Tone Poets were almost unbelievably quiet in the dead wax (almost CD like) in comparison to nearly all other pressing plants. Even a bit quieter than many of the Music Matters pressings I have that that were pressed at RTI.

I didn't find this with 'Etcetera' which, though mostly brilliant, is not nearly quiet enough on 'Penelope'. I complained about this to Blue Note but got no help because I bought my copy from Amazon, and by that time it was out of press.

Also with the Music Matters releases: most are very quiet but again, when it most matters, on the quietest track on 'Speak No Evil' - Infant Eyes - I get a lot of noise. Similarly I got no joy from complaining about this.

I was thinking of more subtle acoustic labelling sounds and impulses such as key clicks, microphone pops, drum sticks, squeaky drum kit pedals etc.

Quite possibly but clicks are very sharp generally, much more so than other sounds. Yes, I think a CD might yield perhaps many hundreds of 'corrections' if it's not been compressed too much.

Is it tune-able? i.e. can you tell it what dB of click to register?

There's a sensitivity setting but there's no absolute scale and there are settings for bass and percussion protection. It's difficult to know what it does. I just run it on default settings for a new record. I'm sure there are other such programs that do a broadly similar thing. Usually it's possible to see clicky noise in the waveform display between tracks so it's much larger than the bit noise of the converter, the noise floor of analogue signal or the average dead wax level.

The latest update on the future Tone Poet release dates. Of course with further bad news about rising Covid infection rates in n the US as well as here it still maybe difficult to meet these targets:

February 4, 2022
• Joe Pass "For Django" (Pacific Jazz, 1964)
• Stanley Turrentine "Rough ‘N Tumble" (Blue Note, 1966)

March 4, 2022
• Sonny Red "Out of the Blue" (Blue Note, 1959-60)
• Grant Green "The Latin Bit" (Blue Note, 1962)

April 1, 2022
• Hank Mobley "Curtain Call" (Blue Note, 1957)
• Jackie McLean "Tippin’ The Scales" (Blue Note, 1962)

May 6, 2022
• Gerald Wilson "Moment of Truth" (Pacific Jazz, 1962)
• Freddie Hubbard "Breaking Point!" (Blue Note, 1964)

June 3, 2022
• Kenny Burrell "Kenny Burrell" (Blue Note, 1956)
• Grant Green "Feelin’ The Spirit" (Blue Note, 1962)

July 1, 2022
• Harold Vick "Steppin’ Out" (Blue Note, 1963)
• Bobby Hutcherson "Stick Up!" (Blue Note, 1966)

August 5, 2022
• Chet Baker & Art Pepper "Picture of Heath" (Pacific Jazz, 1956)
• Blue Mitchell "Bring It Home To Me" (Blue Note, 1966)

September 2, 2022
• Donald Byrd "At The Half Note Cafe, Vol. 1" (Blue Note, 1960)
• ScoLoHoFo (Scofield-Lovano-Holland-Foster) "Oh!" (Blue Note, 2002s it still maybe difficult to meet these targets?

Looks like I'll be having a quiet Tone Poet New Year - until June!

Particularly looking forward to Harold Vick, Blue Mitchell, Bobby Hutcherson and Kenny Burrell titles.

I thought we were getting Midnight Creeper by Lou Donaldson, has that fallen off the list?

I believe the year after, 2022/2023, according to sources at Hoffman - as well as Herbie Nichols Trio and a few other gems. Keep in mind there have been delays, so the above list is the amended version.

This is mainly based on Hoffman posters scouring the team’s Instagram pages:

Elvin Jones - Poly-Currents (tone poet)
Lou Donaldson - Midnight Creeper (tone poet)
Grant Green - Solid (classic series)
Bobby Hutcherson - Spiral (tone poet)
Bobby Hutcherson - Medina (tone poet)
Jackie McLean - Demons Dance (tone poet)
Herbie Nichols Trio - 1519 (tone poet)
Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds (tone poet)
Kenny Burrell - 1543 (tone poet)
Sonny Clark Trio - 1579 (tone poet)
Joe Henderson - Mode for Joe (classic series)
Donald Byrd - Slow Drag (unsure of series)
Andrew Hill - Dance with Death (tone poet)
Stanley Turrentine - Mr. Natural (tone poet)
Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings and Plays (tone poet)
Carmell Jones - the Remarkable Carmell Jones (tone poet)
Wayne Shorter - Odyssey of Iska (unsure of series)

Not a Tone Poet, but the Kevin Gray Nina Simone Jazz As Played… reissue turned up today. I’ve had it on order since announced so I only got stung £16 something as the price has bounced a bit. It is really nice, heavy tip-on sleeve and nice mastering. My copy is a bit dished and not perfectly quiet. It is a quiet album with lots of space so shows any noise, and there is some even after a though wet clean, though nowhere near as bad as some on Discogs suggest. It’s definitely worth a punt IMO as it’s a classic album and finding a US first pressing is all but impossible.

PS There’s a blue vinyl version too. No idea if that is any better than the black.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not a Tone Poet, but the Kevin Gray Nina Simone Jazz As Played… reissue turned up today. I’ve had it on order since announced so I only got stung £16 something as the price has bounced a bit. It is really nice, heavy tip-on sleeve and nice mastering. My copy is a bit dished and not perfectly quiet. It is a quiet album with lots of space so shows any noise, and there is some even after a though wet clean, though nowhere near as bad as some on Discogs suggest. It’s definitely worth a punt IMO as it’s a classic album and finding a US first pressing is all but impossible.

PS There’s a blue vinyl version too. No idea if that is any better than the black.
Picked up the blue vinyl version yesterday - haven’t had time to give it a spin yet.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

That's annoying. Mine's arriving today as well for the same price. It's the longest I've waited for a pre-order - since 30th June. Hopefully it will be in decent enough condition.

Mine arrived today. It is thankfully flat but side 2 has quite a few odd clicks and pops which are noticeable during the quieter passages - not dissimilar to some of the poorer BN 75s (whichever ones didn't have the download card). Nothing to make me return it mind you and good to have a reasonable copy on vinyl.

Looks like the blue one is the one to go for.

It seems to jar a bit aesthetically getting a more or less facsimile edition, remastered for better fidelity, that is on blue vinyl, but that might just be me. I can live with coloured vinyl on modern releases but not on classic reissues. (And I know black vinyl is also dyed.)

After a few listens the stereo separation on this one is odd, in a classic late 50's / early 60's way . One some tracks, like Mood Indigo, they've put the piano out in the right channel and the voice out in the left channel. Its making me wish I had an amp with a mono switch. They were clearly proud of the stereo effect as "Stereo" is in a larger font that the performers name on the cover as in the version below.

OIP.IS1QgX_QPbccitUcXZCMigAAAA

Last edited:
I was deliberating over pre-ordering the Coleman box set when it was initially priced at just over £200 from Amazon; today I see pre-orders set for the end of January are now at £257.99 - quite an increase. Might jump on a copy if it arrives at Jazzhouse, HJ or Juno closer to £200.

Last edited:
I was deliberating over pre-ordering the Coleman box set when it was initially priced at just over £200 from Amazon; today I see pre-orders set for the end of January are now at £257.99 - quite an increase. Might jump on a copy if it arrives at Jazzhouse, HJ or Juno closer to £200.
A628949-E-DA2-B-458-B-BF40-B6353-A133548.jpg

Graham, I hesitated on it at first when it was £203 as I have most of the box contents in one form or another, but did preorder when it was £209. It is on Juno at £215 at the moment with free delivery, but they don’t preorder only email you on release and the price may go up rather than down.
https://www.juno.co.uk/products/round-trip-ornette-coleman-on-blue-note/857610-01/
I found it on What Records for £175 and was thinking of cancelling from Amazon and preordering there, but I have never bought from them and I don’t know if they give a price guarantee or how they deal with returns if there is a problem?
https://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items...blue-note-limited-vinyl-6lp-box-set/99753.htm

I am really on the fence on this one. It's not my favorite period of Ornette apart from the two live Montmartre albums. Decisios, decisions...

advertisement

Back