advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Blimey, that’s £50 an LP in a box that will likely arrived damaged!

PS I’ve got half of them.

It’s nice to see OC get the treatment, but when I heard rumour about this I was hoping for a complete Golden Circle set. I too have all the set, from Van Gelder original to Connoisseurs, but I’m still tempted.

Last edited:
A Tone Poet Box Set that has been rumoured for sometime seems to now be confirmed for a December release:
IMG-0066.jpg

Ornette Coleman - 'Round Trip' 6 LP's. Priced on this site below at 299 Euros:
https://www.recordsonvinyl.nl/products/ornette-coleman-round-trip
Similar Price to the Lee Morgan Lighthouse Vinyl Box Set. Although I have some of the contents and it is expensive if it's not delayed I might persuade someone to make it my 'Christmas Box' Set. ;)

Of the Ornette titles I think I'm only missing Love Call - weirdly it doesn't seem to have ever had a vinyl reissue apart from an iffy Scorpio pressing. Though Liberty originals are still fairly reasonably priced.

It’s nice to see OC get the treatment, but when I heard rumour about this I was hoping for a complete Golden Circle set. I too have all the set, from Van Gelder original to Connoisseurs, but I’m still tempted.

The good news is that Where Is Brooklyn?, which I don’t have and isn’t in the set, is slated for 2022/2023 - or so it has been rumoured.
I have half of them, but would like better pressings. I also would love to have a good pressing of New and Old Gospel with him alongside Jackie McLean.

Graham,
'Where is Brooklyn' is confirmed for 21st January 2022 release in the Classic Series:
https://www.bluenote.com/classic-vi...j11X-k0-p2y76tLljJ0iH8GOG6q89MeZpfQ40G2qjrrj4

Those who are listening to the latest Tone Poet release of Wayne Shorter's 'The All Seeing Eye' and have read his quotes about it in Nat Hentoff's Cover Notes may be interested in this Interview from 2014 where Shorter talks about 'His Philosophy Of Life Through Jazz':
Interesting, particularly in the context of TASE, that he starts with Charles Kingsley' book 'The Water Babies'. Although Kingsley was a Church of England Priest he was also one of the first supporters of Darwin's 'Origin of the Species'. The book as well as a 'fairy tale' is also about redemption and opposition to child labour. Kingsly is now though also accused of racial discrimination. I remember reading it at about the same age as Shorter.

First listen to The All Seeing Eye and I just didn’t get it.
Playing it now for the 2nd time and it makes perfect sense. I regularly have similar experiences like this with Mingus.

First listen to The All Seeing Eye and I just didn’t get it.
Playing it now for the 2nd time and it makes perfect sense. I regularly have similar experiences like this with Mingus.
Im finding that as well - it took a couple of plays.

I'm slightly over the "wow" factor with the sound, pressing, sleeve - and it may well have been a lockdown thing tbh. I'm being far more selective and taking time to get to know the music a bit more. I've a few from 12 months ago that I've only played once or twice.

On first play All Seeing Eye was a little underwhelming - by the 3rd play I was totally absorbed.

This weeks Japanese Blue Note purchases include a sleeve design by Andy Warhol and sleeve notes that mention Butlin’s in Filey. Seriously.

Tremendous thanks for that. The one I got today was Johnny Griffin/The Congregation.
Ricky,
I really like Johnny Griffin and al three of his on Blue Note are worth having if you don't have them already. I have 'The Congregation' and 'A Blowing Session' (also known as Vol. 2, but no Vol. 1 for some reason?) in early 1980s pressings and Introducing that is a BN80. Some of his later stuff on other labels is good as well. I particularly like 'You Leave Me Breathless ' ( live in Copenhagen in 1967) that is on Black Lion and can be found quite cheaply.

Ricky,
I really like Johnny Griffin and al three of his on Blue Note are worth having if you don't have them already. I have 'The Congregation' and 'A Blowing Session' (also known as Vol. 2, but no Vol. 1 for some reason?) in early 1980s pressings and Introducing that is a BN80. Some of his later stuff on other labels is good as well. I particularly like 'You Leave Me Breathless ' ( live in Copenhagen in 1967) that is on Black Lion and can be found quite cheaply.
Thanks poco, yeah I have that BN80 Introducing. Will check out the others.

Ricky,

You Leave Me Breathless is a good one. I also really like the records he made with Eddie Lockjaw Davis in the early sixties.

“ Introducing “ is probably Vol 1, very good it is too. I really like his Riversides and The Chicago Sound with Wilbur Ware.

My copy of Lee Konitz plays with the Gerry Mulligan Quartet has just arrived and I'm giving it a spin. Poorly packed by Amazon in just a brown envelope, but it seems to have arrived undamaged to both sleeve and record. It's "Strobophonic Hi-Fidelity"?, but it still sounds like 1953 vintage mono to me. :p;)

Gavreid asked in the "What are you listening..." thread what is it like. I have played it through twice to try to warm to it but ....Well I don't want in anyway to influence others who may like it better than me so I'm interested to hear others take on it. I do like both Konitz and Mulligan, but for me in this pairing it all is a bit lacklustre. I like the 'live' side 2 a bit more than side 1 and the track "I'll Remember April" does work for me both in the solos and the ensemble towards the end. There are a few sparks from Konitz elsewhere, but the rhythm section seems to lack drive to me and occasionally the horn and saxes seem to me to come in a fraction late, mainly Baker, and seem a little directionless. Sound quality is OK, I'm playing using my mono cartridge, but not exceptional. No problems with my pressing. I personally was hoping for something a bit better. Please persuade me I'm wrong about it. :rolleyes:
I may be just having a poor mood day?
Edit:
I have just played Konitz's 'Motion' to follow just because I knew that it has 'I'll remember April' as well, although Konitz reconstructs it inventively upwards from its parts here. Not really comparable as 8 years later and this is just a Trio, but you do hear what the good rhythm section of Elvin Jones and Sonny Dallas contribute both to the whole and to inspire Konitz. You can appreciate how carefully they listen to each other's contribution and use that to bring a clear direction to the Music as a whole.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back