advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

I see Alan at Jazzhouse has a complete set of MM SRXs for £720. Would like to sell as job lot before he splits it on Monday.

I need to check my emails. Tempting, but I have already spent (overspent) about £450 this month on Tone Poets, BN80's and some good SH early pressings. I sort of have a self imposed limit of £40 an individual record that it would breach, plus I have very good (probably not as good) copies of two these and reasonable copies of 5 others.

I have quite often found that the label information posted on their pages by Amazon is at best confusing or totally wrong. It does sometimes make it difficult to ensure you have the correct version you want when there is more than one, especially if they are around the same price. Year of issue is usually a better bet.
Decca is the UMG front-line label that looks after Universal's Jazz imprints - Blue Note & Verve

Thanks for your reply. I have no problems with the rest of the LP other than Matrix. My earlier description was maybe a bit vague. I've had another listen. About 75 seconds into Matrix, the cymbals on the left are suddenly muted for a few seconds. It sounds like a dropout on the tape to me, most unnatural. I very much doubt it is a tracking issue as I never have problems with distortion. Very strange.

I'll give it another listen when I get the chance. It certainly wasn't obvious to me, but I wasn't then clear about what you were hearing and I was really listening for a change a little bit further on.

Hermit I have just had another listen and you are right at almost exactly 75 seconds not just the cymbals, although these are being hit most, but it seems to me the whole drum kit disappears for 8 seconds. It seems very strange, as Graham correctly suggests dropouts are common on old tape masters, but I'm not sure it is a drop out as I can't hear any change around it. Multitrack recording came in in 1955, but was not very much used especially for Jazz recordings till the 1970's when time code synchronisation came in. Usually not more than three tracks were used for Jazz recordings before that and therefore I would have expected to hear something of a dropout on the piano or bass as well. Perhaps Roy Haynes just stopped playing for 8 seconds?

Anyone else who has this want to comment. I only 'lurk' on Steve Hoffman, not post. I have not seen any comment on this there, but if someone wants to then maybe Joe Harley will reply? Anyway well spotted. I'll keep hearing it now, but I'll try not to let it bother me.:confused::rolleyes:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
To me it doesn't sound like he just stopped playing. It just doesn't sound natural or clean and the image appears to shift a little to the right.

No I didn't really think he stopped playing as it would be odd to stop his tap, tap on the cymbals just for about 8 seconds and then start up again. I'm still not sure about a drop out, but that seems the most likely explanation.

Music Magpie on eBay seem to have most of the Tone Poet (and 80th releases), with 20% off until Friday. Brings them down under £30. Think I'll stick with what I already have though (Etc. and Countours), that's still a lot of money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_....l1313&_nkw=new+bottle+old+wine&_sacat=176985

I was hoping to find the one I'm hovering about, Lou Donaldson, Mr Shing-a-Ling there at a price good enough to make me risk it, but I can't seem to see that one among the Lou Donaldson that come up on a search.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Like you, I held off waiting for a better price. Last week,I bought it here:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/offer-listing/B07P6NCXY2/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I have a delivery date of 9th July.

Thanks Theo, I'll probably go with it at that price. I brought contours from Amazon Fr at about that. Strange though that Dodax that is based in Switzerland and who usually are on UK Amazon Market Place cheaper are not there with these Tone Poets. Probably some tacit agreement to keep us Brits paying more?

I had a quick look at .fr earlier so is it just a click and buy as normal? Any odd postage charges to be aware of or anything and do you buy from the actual Amazon site or one of the cheaper third party sellers?

My copies of Dexter Gordon - Clubhouse and 'Baby Face' Willette - Face to Face have just arrived from Amazon nicely packaged in mailers and double boxed. Beautiful gatefold sleeves and usual clean and flat vinyl. Just got to find sometime to give them a spin.

Collected Mr Shing a Ling today. I could do without Shadow of Your Smile, but the rest of it lives up to expectation in typical Rare Groove style. Fantastic pressing and sound. Drums sound amazing. Looking forward to Alligator Boogaloo which - from what I’ve heard so far - is possibly the more interesting session.

Listening to Clubhouse by Dexter Gordon and it’s another stunning release. The sonics are, as expected, excellent.

Having now listened to all of Clubhouse I’d say it’s possibly the best sounding of the Tone Poet releases. The dynamics are fantastic and the sax so natural sounding - particularly on the slower tracks where it’s more exposed.

Last edited:
It's the only one of this series I have at the minute so good to know I've peaked :) I listened to it last night and, whilst I'm not a jazz expert, it sounded bloody marvellous to me...

From what I can gather over at Hoffman, Joe Harley auditions tapes to ensure they are technically still up to the mark for TP release.Some titles have been rejected. Anyhow, Face to Face is on its way to me, should be here Monday. Looking fwd to that one (although I think I say that every time......). Glad to hear Clubhouse is excellent.

advertisement

Back