Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Discussion in 'music' started by poco a poco, Feb 26, 2019.

1. poco a poco

poco a poco I'm Jim

Graham, yes I totally agree. A little distortion in the overall scheme of things is a small price to pay. Some people on the SH forum can't seem to tell the wood from the tree when it comes to things like that. (I hear a bit of distortion at 3 mins 51secs on side one! :eek: :mad:). It's remarkable what Van Gelder and some of his other contemporary engineers were able to achieve back then with limited equipment and resources. Most of their output still sounding more alive than much I am hearing today. Van Gelder certainly recorded both drums and horns really well and it seems to me that Kevin Gray has been getting better and better in presenting that in these reissues. Pity there is not much he can do about his piano sound on a lot of Blue Notes. :( Still I think most modern engineers would throw a wobbly if they had to mix live to the final mastertape.

Yes I had seen the LJC review of Charles Tollivers Connect. I was tempted by that on release. Did you buy it and if so what do you think. LJC seems to love the sound of the Tone Poets and lately even the Classics, but I used to take with a 'pinch of salt' some of his comments on the sound of reissues over originals in the past (I know Connect is recent not a reissue). I think I said before even he seems to have been priced out of the market for originals now. Strange how in many cases the cost of originals has continued to rise even when there are excellent (better?) issues.

Graham H likes this.
  2. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

I streamed Connect and decided to give it a miss - on musical grounds not necessarily sound quality. However, I did order Tolliver’s Impact, a Strata East reissue from 1977. There just seems to be more (youthful?) energy and risk taking on these earlier sessions - and besides Harold Vick is on board. Unfortunately the sealed copy I received has blobs of molten vinyl spread over side 1. This is the second Pallas pressing I have had like this - otherwise they are usually excellent and preferable IMO to Optimal. Waiting for a replacement before I can make any assessment of the music.

Together with LJC and super sales person Scotti over on Hoffman, I think the future of Tone Poets is assured.

poco a poco likes this.
  3. kjb

kjb pfm Member

Great article - thanks - and my TP cold turkey is clearly not going to start before I have that Grant Green record.

4. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

Joe Harley: “People loved having something where they knew all aspects of the production were done as they should be. In other words, they knew who mastered it, they knew that we were using the original masters and they knew that the presentation, in terms of packaging, was going to be as good as you can get.”

Amen to that.

mikechadwick likes this.
  5. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Was going to draw a line under the Tone Poets as lockdown ends but...Music Magpie eBay shop has 20% off, bringing Katanga down to £28.

purplepleaser likes this.
  6. poco a poco

poco a poco I'm Jim

Interview with Kevin Gray:

gavreid likes this.
  7. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

Thanks for the tip. My copy of Katanga! arrived yesterday.

Sometimes I get a slight feeling that a few of these Tone Poet titles flatter to deceive, but not this one. Just joyous sounds beautifully reproduced. It's a jazz time machine, beaming stunning music from almost 60 years ago into the here and now. A real tonic.

Seanm likes this.
  8. Peter McDermott

Peter McDermott pfm Member

Just bought a copy of Katanga on Discogs, looking forward to hearing it.

Sadly both my copies of State of the Tenor Vol 1 stuck on the same track same side. Got a full refund, plus postage refunded so very good service from the shop in Germany. Can't imagine they faired so well.