advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Over the last few days three 2022 TPs confirmed by Joe Harley via Hoffman and IG; alongside Andrew Hill's Dance With Death there is Lou Donaldson's Midnight Creeper (switched from Classic to TP) and Donald Byrd's Slow Drag. There is also a tease about future Andrew Hill titles apart from DWD.

Looks like Joe Harley really is listening to what is being said over at Hoffman, (see Midnight Creeper switch), and he has commented on LJC a few times. I wonder if there is any way of getting him involved here regarding future titles?

To play devils advocate if I may, having bought Time Out on Analogue Productions last week (not Tone Poet), double 45 rpm, my feeling is the extra money is going on the sleeve production. The dynamic range is very limited (R128), and less than the CD I have, but generally very poor. Keep in mind that this is one of the most raved about of the recent 'audiophile' releases...

To play devils advocate, having bought Time Out on Audio Productions last week (not Tone Poet), my feeling is the extra money is going on the sleeve production. The dynamic range is very limited (R128), and less than the CD I have, but generally very poor. Keep in mind that this is one of the most raved about of the recent releases...

Do you mean Analogue Productions? If so I’m surprised that one isn’t any good. I’ve got the old Classic Records 33rpm copy and that is a really nice copy. The AP is 2x45 isn’t it? I’m not a fan of that format myself.

Do you mean Analogue Productions? If so I’m surprised that one isn’t any good. I’ve got the old Classic Records 33rpm copy and that is a really nice copy. The AP is 2x45 isn’t it? I’m not a fan of that format myself.

Yes Analogue Productions, sorry. Only Strange Meadow Lark hits 10 dB, the others are all down at 6, 7, 8. The noise floor is pretty good but that doesn't matter for a compressed recording. They seem to be cheating with the peak level to make the rest seem dynamic...

Interesting. I’ve only got one AP release, the 33rpm cut of Sonny Rollins Way Out West, and that is superb. I’d have expected the Time Out to be good so surprised you are disappointed with it. Some ‘audiophile’ pressings just don’t hit the spot with me though, I can think of quite a few that are over-warm and rounded-off to my ears. I can’t think of many situations where I’d not prefer to own a mint US 1st press for a jazz title, e.g. I’d swap my Classic Records of Time Out, KoB etc for mint stereo six-eyes in a heartbeat without even hearing them first! I often think the intent is lost with mastering engineers generations removed from the original artists and producers.

Interesting. I’ve only got one AP release, the 33rpm cut of Sonny Rollins Way Out West, and that is superb. I’d have expected the Time Out to be good so surprised you are disappointed with it. Some ‘audiophile’ pressings just don’t hit the spot with me though, I can think of quite a few that are over-warm and rounded-off to my ears. I can’t think of many situations where I’d not prefer to own a mint US 1st press for a jazz title, e.g. I’d swap my Classic Records of Time Out, KoB etc for mint stereo six-eyes in a heartbeat without even hearing them first! I often think the intent is lost with mastering engineers generations removed from the original artists and producers.

I only have one original six eye - Sketches of Spain, a Canadian pressing. Don't get me wrong the Time Out sounds really good - I think that's maybe why Kassem is saying 'if it sounds good it is'

I’ve got Errol Garner Concert By The Sea and one of the early Brubecks, can’t remember which off hand, both mono, both £1 bin car boot finds. Not had any luck finding stereos, though I don’t think there are for these two.

I’ve got Errol Garner Concert By The Sea and one of the early Brubecks, can’t remember which off hand, both mono, both £1 bin car boot finds. Not had any luck finding stereos, though I don’t think there are for these two.

Great stuff. I don't kow how closely you follow the what are you listening to tread but @poco a poco and @John C seem to have endless collections

I only have one original six eye - Sketches of Spain, a Canadian pressing. Don't get me wrong the Time Out sounds really good - I think that's maybe why Kassem is saying 'if it sounds good it is'

Can you please remind me what six eye means again?

I definitely want both of these. The Sonny Clark was originally unreleased (first issued on King Records in Japan in 1979) and is from 1959 and features Mobley, Byrd, Chambers and Blakey.

I’ve hit the ‘pre-order’ button on the Sonny Clark too now. I was kind of holding off as I’ve got a ton of Blue Note hard bop, but reading around this does look a good one with a great line-up. It is the later-60s and 70s stuff I really want to deep-dive as I’m no where near as well covered there, and a lot of it links with what is happening in jazz today.

I keep thinking I've reached saturation point with these. I usually have around a £100 a month budget for records and have been neglecting a lot of other stuff I like, especially more recent releases, while bingeing on Blue Notes.

So I have pre-ordered Expansions and Katanga is due at the end of the week...........

It might be cold turkey time.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back