advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Impressed that Amazon have dispatched my Lou Donaldson Mr Shing a Ling. Was expecting the usual delay I’ve experienced with them recently on release date. Looking forward to this one, especially Idris Muhammad’s drumming.

Impressed that Amazon have dispatched my Lou Donaldson Mr Shing a Ling. Was expecting the usual delay I’ve experienced with them recently on release date. Looking forward to this one, especially Idris Muhammad’s drumming.

I was thinking of passing on this one as not totally my thing, but I'll appreciate any feedback Graham. I'm always open to persuasion, especially with the quality of this series. ;)

Has anyone got a link to a vinyl sleeve for the Tone Poet records? They are gorgeous sleeves but slightly larger than standard and don’t fit any of the various sleeves I use.

I’m still savouring the quality of Shorters ESP and going to get the Sam Rivers record on payday.

Kevin

I was thinking of passing on this one as not totally my thing, but I'll appreciate any feedback Graham. I'm always open to persuasion, especially with the quality of this series. ;)

My background is modern/free jazz, Ornette/Coltrane/Sun Ra and beyond. Soul jazz and rare groove I’ve only begun to take note of in the last three or four years, with titles by the likes of Brother Jack McDuff, Duke Pearson, Larry Young, Rusty Bryant etc. Serious fun, if you like, and some great playing and musicianship. Likewise I’ll be giving titles such as Cornbread and Johnny Griffin a miss; bebop and post bop don’t do a great deal for me, even though I appreciate the craft.

I‘ll report back on Lou Donaldson when I can, as I’m away at present and probably won’t be able to listen for at least a week or so.

Has anyone got a link to a vinyl sleeve for the Tone Poet records? They are gorgeous sleeves but slightly larger than standard and don’t fit any of the various sleeves I use.
Kevin

Kevin, I asked the same question on page one of this thread and Stunsworth kindly provided this link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071F3X521?tag=vigukb-10-21
They work perfectly for The Tone Poets.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Reactions: kjb
Lee Morgan - 'Cornbread' has just arrived. Beautiful gatefold sleeve and vinyl looks flat and clean. No time to play it at the moment and I'm still trying to work my way through a number of SH purchases.

Listening to Cornbread as I write. Another stunner from Joe Harley and Blue Note. Beautifully flat and quiet pressing.

According to Amazon the next two in the series are released on Friday - I’ve preordered them.

I'm a bit disappointed that the left right balance goes a bit haywire, albeit briefly, roughly 90 seconds into Track A2 - Matrix on the Chick Corea LP. Has anybody else picked up on this?

I'm a bit disappointed that the left right balance goes a bit haywire, albeit briefly, roughly 90 seconds into Track A2 - Matrix on the Chick Corea LP. Has anybody else picked up on this?

Well thanks for making me revisit this. It's great playing a wonderful recording and mastering especially for piano on LP. My copy is perfectly centred and flat. I don't have perfect pitch (thankfully), but the piano although closely miked sounds very realalistic to me.

I'm not sure what you are hearing in the way of a balance problem, but I don't hear any problems on Matrix or elsewhere. Drums are in and around the left channel (behind and beyond my left speaker) slightly set back with space around them, very dynamic and spectacularly recorded. Piano centred and to the fore and Bass to middle right and set back a little. A pretty much perfect balance, between instruments that stays in place, and I have been slightly critical of some of the original recorded balances, especially with piano, on some of these Tone Poets, but this is engineered by Don Hahn not Rudy Van Gelder.

All I hear at around 90 seconds is that Corea introduces strong left-hand and some pedal point and therefore you get much more bass and the body resonance of the piano for quite a few seconds. Do you think your cartridge is tracking this ok? Or perhaps it is exciting a room mode?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Well thanks for making me revisit this. It's great playing a wonderful recording and mastering especially for piano on LP. My copy is perfectly centred and flat. I don't have perfect pitch (thankfully), but the piano although closely miked sounds very realalistic to me.

I'm not sure what you are hearing in the way of a balance problem, but I don't hear any problems on Matrix or elsewhere. Drums are in and around the left channel (behind and beyond my left speaker) slightly set back with space around them, very dynamic and spectacularly recorded. Piano centred and to the fore and Bass to middle right and set back a little. A pretty much perfect balance, between instruments that stays in place, and I have been slightly critical of some of the original recorded balances, especially with piano, on some of these Tone Poets, but this is engineered by Don Hahn not Rudy Van Gelder.

All I hear at around 90 seconds is that Corea introduces strong left-hand and some pedal point and therefore you get much more bass and the body resonance of the piano for quite a few seconds. Do you think your cartridge is tracking this ok? Or perhaps it is exciting a room mode?

Thanks for your reply. I have no problems with the rest of the LP other than Matrix. My earlier description was maybe a bit vague. I've had another listen. About 75 seconds into Matrix, the cymbals on the left are suddenly muted for a few seconds. It sounds like a dropout on the tape to me, most unnatural. I very much doubt it is a tracking issue as I never have problems with distortion. Very strange.

Might give NBOW a go and here on Amazon, all looks fine but just checking as the label info (not the image) shows as Decca. Everything else points to Blue Note but though I'd just check first :)

Not all the Tone poet releases were originally on Blue Note. The Gil Evans was released on World Pacific and the Chick Corea on Solid State. Both companies were bought by Liberty Records in the 60's and Liberty also owned Blue Note at the time. Then Capitol/EMI bought Liberty and then EMI was purchased by Universal Music Group, the current owner of Blue Note.

Just back from the States and have picked up my copies of New bottle Old Wine, Cornbread and Mr Shing-a-Ling. Going to be an enjoyable evening.

Not all the Tone poet releases were originally on Blue Note. The Gil Evans was released on World Pacific and the Chick Corea on Solid State. Both companies were bought by Liberty Records in the 60's and Liberty also owned Blue Note at the time. Then Capitol/EMI bought Liberty and then EMI was purchased by Universal Music Group, the current owner of Blue Note.

Thanks and yes, understood. I probably didn't make myself too clear though. The listing is for a Blue Note Tone Poets copy but if you scroll through all the blurb as far as the "detail " section, that bit shows the label as being "Decca". Just a typo I'm imagining.....

advertisement

Back