advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

I am not referring to the Tone Poets per se, but there's a lot to be said for properly done CDs especially the earlier ones. I am seldom impressed by new vinyl reissues when the mastertapes are old and worn.

The 2020 Tone Poet release schedule has now been published:
http://www.bluenote.com/tone-poet-vinyl-series-2020/

I 'm looking forward to quite a few of these, unfortunately no more Andrew Hill at least in 2020 as was predicted after Blackfiregate.

Looks like plenty of rather generic chaff and not so much wheat in that line up. A couple there I'd like to get ( Ellington, Tyner, Chambers) but I'm becoming aware of a risk of buying records because of the sound of the master or the pressing rather than the quality of the session or the music. Possibly a few sows ears into silk purses here by the look of things.

Nah. I’m buying it all up! Far more chance of finding an unknown beauty is my guess. That’s been my experience with these, the 80tb anniversary and a bunch of 80s Japanese issues.
E.g. I’d never even heard of Jutta Hipp before. Enjoying her small body of work v much.

It is a bit of a mixed bag, but I expect I will end up with most, but not all of them this time. I suppose each of us would like the mix biased in our favour. I'm definitely in for the Ellington, Chambers, McLean, Hutcherson, Silver and Brooks (this last as I'll then have all his a leader). Of course no more Andrew Hill either, but we think we know the reason for that.

I wish though they had be a bit more adventurous, still no Herbie Nichols, a real shame, Horace Parlan, Ike Quebec (other than another Blue & Sentimental reissue), Dizzy Reece and there does not seem to be any further exploration of the other related UA labels like Solid State. I can't understand why they are not issuing Cecil Taylor / John Coltrane - 'Stereo Drive' also released under Coltrane's name as 'Coltrane Time', the only known recording of them together, unless the mastertape is now poor? I have a copy on Solid State as 'Coltrane Time', but I would love to see what Tone Poet could do with this one.

There’s an Andrew Hill release in the BN80 series.

Yes I'm looking forward to Smokestack in April, but it would have been nice to get at least one of the other Blue Notes as a Tone Poet wobblegate or not - Judgement, Andrew, Change, Compulsion, Grass Roots, Lift Every Voice (this last his compositions with a Quintet and large choir - I wonder what wobblegaters would make of that one :confused:).

Yes I looked at that one a few days ago and saw that UK price. It seems strange as Poppin is more typical at around £33 and they are both single LP's. On UK Amazon their label listing is all over the place as well these two are both listed as Verve. Its 31.99 euros now on Fr (and correct labels) so I'm also not sure either whether or not to order there or order UK (free delivery with prime) and hope for a price drop?

It's odd because until a week or so ago both of the next two releases were about the same price. I'll probably wait and see what happens between now and the release date.
Bizarre. I hadn't checked out the next two till now. Both at £31.49 and labled correctly. I don't get Amazon's don't algorithm?

I realised today when I came to pre order the next two Tone Poets, Chet Baker Sings & Grant Green Nigeria that I had already pre ordered Poppin & Coming Your Way and both were at £30.94 when I did it (Doh :oops:). Amazon are now showing the wrong cover version for Poppin as the header picture, but the right one below. Coming Your Way is still showing current price as £41.99.

I noticed the cover was wrong this morning when I checked the prices. According to the Blue Note website their release has been postponed to Feb.
The same thing on their BN80 site with February releases pushed into March. I think it all may only be in the US as there is a problem with the national distributor that all the major record labels signed up to use for independent record stores. I expect they could still get them to Amazon USA, but that wouldn't go down well with the independents. It may not effect us here. No change on Amazon UK & European release dates.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...majors-from-independent-record-stores.862753/

I noticed the confusion yesterday on dates re website and Amazon UK etc but have the Feb releases sat in my basket regardless. I don't know why but I have two of the BN80s here already and the Jan TPs "on the way" so psychologically I'm waiting a while before I start spending again :)

Mind you given the price hikes on this month's releases it may not be sensible to wait.....

Mind you given the price hikes on this month's releases it may not be sensible to wait.....
Martin, probably not at least for the next two Tone Poets if you want them. I don't really want any more expense at the moment, but I thought they will only increase. Already increased to £31.51 - up 2p since I pre ordered this morning. ;)

I've been wanting to buy one of these Tone Poet releases for some time just to hear the quality for myself. That thread (70 odd pages???!?!?!?) on Steve Hoffman is pretty bizarre and I'd taken it all with a pinch of salt to be honest. Seems others here have the same view.

What release would you recommend to try first? I like the classic jazz saxophonists of the late 50s early 60s. Any thoughts as to which release you'd recommend?

I've been wanting to buy one of these Tone Poet releases for some time just to hear the quality for myself. That thread (70 odd pages???!?!?!?) on Steve Hoffman is pretty bizarre and I'd taken it all with a pinch of salt to be honest. Seems others here have the same view.

What release would you recommend to try first? I like the classic jazz saxophonists of the late 50s early 60s. Any thoughts as to which release you'd recommend?

Dexter Gordon: Clubhouse, Joe Henderson: The State of the Tenor Vol 2.

The later is an 80s digital recording, but sounds superb. Personally I'd go for the Dexter Gordon, but only just.

Dexter Gordon: Clubhouse, Joe Henderson: The State of the Tenor Vol 2.

The later is an 80s digital recording, but sounds superb. Personally I'd go for the Dexter Gordon, but only just.

Ive just listened to both of these and think the Dexter Gordon is probably better for someone looking for a classic 50s/60s style. I’m sure others will be along with their suggestions.

advertisement

Back