advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

I was thinking exactly the same. These are two seriously good releases. I believe they are the last for this year, I'm looking forward to the ones that are released in 2020.

Yes it seems they are still having trouble with regard to release of the session photos for the planned November 15 Hank Mobley: Poppin’ (1957) Stanley Turrentine: Comin’ Your Way (1961) and these have now been dropped from the Blue Note 2019 list http://www.bluenote.com/blue-note-presents-the-tone-poet-audiophile-vinyl-reissue-series/
I assume we will get these early in 2020, but I have yet to see an 'official' 2020 list. Still a little bit of a break for the wallet and a chance to catch up again on what as already been released. Plus 4 BN80's still due November and 3 in December. A bit too spoilt for riches at the moment still?

I just commented on Mr Shing-A-Ling on the 80th thread so may as well say it here too, good price but sold out. Darn it....

Grant Green - 'Sunday Mornin' Slow Down Sounds reissue.
This not a Tone Poet, but it is mastered by Kevin Gray who thinks it is one of his best. It is getting great reviews over on Steve Hoffman, except from the dammed 'piano warble guy' who has not even heard it.

So as the December Tone Poets have been moved to 2020 I'm keeping my vinyl habit going by ordering one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunday-Mornin-VINYL-Grant-Green/dp/B07Y9BGZ6H/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1WMY3K6R1QMYX&keywords=grant+green+sunday+mornin&qid=1575482753&sprefix=Grant+Green+Su,aps,184&sr=8-2

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This not a Tone Poet, but it is mastered by Kevin Gray who thinks it is one of his best. It is getting great reviews over on Steve Hoffman, except from the dammed 'piano warble guy' who has not even heard it.

So as the December Tone Poets have been moved to 2020 I'm keeping my vinyl habit going by ordering one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunday-Mornin-VINYL-Grant-Green/dp/B07Y9BGZ6H/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1WMY3K6R1QMYX&keywords=grant+green+sunday+mornin&qid=1575482753&sprefix=Grant+Green+Su,aps,184&sr=8-2

I've got the next three BN80 albums ordered - due to arrive a week on Friday.

Amazon are showing the next two Tone Poets, though with no release date yet...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZLK6MRZ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZLKV696/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've got the next three BN80 albums ordered - due to arrive a week on Friday.

Amazon are showing the next two Tone Poets, though with no release date yet...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poppin-Tone-Poet-Vinyl-VINYL/dp/B07ZLK6MRZ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comin-Your-Tone-Vinyl-VINYL/dp/B07ZLKV696

Yes they had started to put them on sometime ago with no release date as they often do until they make them 'live' with an order pre release date, then these two were pulled until 2020. Amazon.com is now showing 24th of January as the pre order release date so I expect them to go 'live' here soon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZLKV696/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yxy5DbZNER7X1?tag=mfconvert-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZLK6MRZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5yy5DbNDYJDSF?tag=mfconvert-20

I’ve just dipped into that thread, every release seems to have problems I can’t hear.

I also think there are a few characters over at Hoffman who think their superior listening and fault detecting skills (and I use that those words with a healthy dose of sarcasm) could lead them to an invitation to sit in on future mastering sessions with Gray and co. One poster has more than hinted he wouldn’t be satisfied with any explanations regarding Black Fire until he has heard the master on Gray’s rig for himself. Dream on......

I think the entire debacle is a great shame, doing more harm than good. 60 year old tapes are usually beyond reconstitution, such as fixing dropouts and pitch, without the aid of digital tools. The perpetrators just don’t seem to be able to gain any sense of perspective and proportion. Few engineers or label directors will ever want to take on another project like this if this is the likely outcome. I really do hope the series continues to sell well, I haven’t finished collecting yet! - although there will certainly be none of the other Andrew Hill titles I was hoping for.

KEVIN GRAY SAYS:

Wow and Flutter on Blue Notes: Scotch (3M) 111 was the very first U.S. recording tape formulation produced in quantity in the U.S. It was released in 1948 and was about all there was in the U.S. until 1964. About 90 percent of the recordings I master from that period are recorded on 111. All the RVG Blue Notes from that period are on 111. It is a red/orange iron oxide basically glued to clear acetate. It bears no resemblance to modern tape. Acetate is very unstable over time. It becomes extremely brittle. You can pull on it slightly and it breaks. This tape never wound totally smooth on the reel, but that has also gotten much much worse over time. The biggest problem occurs when the tape was wound off at high speed, as opposed to being played though. This might occur when a tape was perhaps wound to the head to copy one song. Then the rest of the tape is wound off in “Fast Forward”. The result is that the tape cinches slightly and if left that way develops a permanent curl or ruffle. This is very common on 111. Once this has happened the tape does not wrap smoothly over the playback head and tends to wander slightly. This is clearly visible as the video shows. Another problem is that NONE of the recorders from the 50s and early 60s had constant tape tension, which all modern tape recorders have. The tension would be higher at the end of the reel than the beginning. This also took a toll on tape. The 2nd generation 3M tape was Scotch 201. Although the oxide changed (dark brown), the base was still acetate, and the same problems exist. Around 1965, 202 was released, which was on modern mylar/polyester. But RVG used both 111 and 201 for several more years. So the tape wandering over the heads as opposed to staying flat does introduce speed anomalies. How could it not? And it isn’t consistent from tape to tape. Some wind smoother than others. Fast winding, as mentioned before, things like temperature and humidity in storage, and age have taken a toll. There are other factors effecting speed, such as sticking splices. The adhesive in the splicing tape oozes with age. It can’t be cleaned off very effectively because of the brittleness of the tape. Someone said “The Japanese CD from 2014 didn’t have the problem.” This would have been made from the copy in Japan’s Blue Note archive made in the 1980s. The masters are not sent to Japan for any reason and the master was 30 years younger then. I’m not surprised. And the CD doesn’t have the issue of stamper centering, like the LP does. I hope I have cleared up this issue for you. Best, Kevin Gray Cohearent Audio, LLC

I also think there are a few characters over at Hoffman who think their superior listening and fault detecting skills (and I use that those words with a healthy dose of sarcasm) could lead them to an invitation to sit in on future mastering sessions with Gray and co. One poster has more than hinted he wouldn’t be satisfied with any explanations regarding Black Fire until he has heard the master on Gray’s rig for himself. Dream on......

I've given up looking at that thread unless it pops up in my timeline. I did think about asking if the people reporting problems had had their turntables checked recently, but that would just have been trolling on my part.

Just bought Joe Henderson The state of the tenor, and although it is in a Tone Poet plastic bag it's not a gatefold sleeve and doesn't have the nicer photos, is this correct. As I've not cleaned it yet I haven't listened to it. I'm asking because I was lead to believe they were all ment to be gatefolds. Cheers lads.

Just bought Joe Henderson The state of the tenor, and although it is in a Tone Poet plastic bag it's not a gatefold sleeve and doesn't have the nicer photos, is this correct. As I've not cleaned it yet I haven't listened to it. I'm asking because I was lead to believe they were all ment to be gatefolds. Cheers lads.

Yes, that’s correct. I think it was due to their being no photos from the recording session.

Cheers my man, just wondered, I also received a copy of Contours that rises and falls at least 10mil twice each revolution that is going back, same seller so one package to send is better than two. As the contours album wasn't in the usual Tone Poet plastic bag but wrapped in cling film I was dubious about it, I can only presume that I'm the second buyer of this one. It's the first disk I've checked on receipt for years, usually take things on trust, thanks again.

That's odd as I have to say all my Tone Poets have been perfect and they've been in the correct packaging too.

As Stunsworth says State of the Tenor is not a gatefold as there were no session photos. If it is in a sealed Tone Poet plastic wrapper with sticker it should be OK. Bottom right back of sleeve should indicate LP reissue Suprvision Joe Harley. LP remastering Kevin Gray,Cohearent Mastering. There are a couple of other singles as well for the same reason; Mr Shing-A-Ling and New Bottle Old Wine.

You are probably right about Countours. Should be in a sealed Tone Poet wrapper with sticker. Again right corner indicating as above.

Contours was the only Tone Poet I bought that was very slightly less than perfect, a few (not very bad) ticks on side 2. I did not return it as bought from Amazon Fr. And not that bad. All others have been as Martin notes above.

advertisement

Back