advertisement

Tone arm for revolver tt

Ah ha, I've just now clicked 'Add to Cart' for 'Rebel Cartridge £38.00' and it is listed on PayPal Checkout as:

Rebel Cartridge AT95E
Item #: REBCART1​

I went ahead and filled in my Canadian address and shipping came up as 'Default - £0.00 GBP'. I suspect this is for UK only, though, as they list separate UK and Worldwide shipping for the belts.

As of yesterday, £38.00 converted to C$66.39. AT-95E got up to C$79.99 (full RRP) over here, with most retailers asking at least C$69.95 up until they were discontinued.

For a UK comparison, AT-VM95E goes for £39. at Richer Sounds (RRP £44).

BTW, I haven't fired off an e-mail to Audion/Revolver Audio Ltd. regarding belts yet. I've been researching some North American suppliers and trying to get some info on actual dimensions (and prices vs. exchange rates). Most of the suppliers are a bit out of touch, as they list 'Avis' as a Revolver model; 'Avis', as in French for 'Notice', as printed on the bi-lingual warning label on the motor/electrics cover. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It would seem that for UK pricing £38 was around the typical selling price of an AT95e prior to its discontinuation. That it is still being shown is a further indicator that the website is out of date.

I notice at the bottom of the 'Pig 2' brochure on the their website they show an PO Box address in Saltash, Cornwall - despite the contact phone number being a French one.

Confused? I am!

Revolveraudio.co.uk said:
HISTORY
From January 2012 Graeme Holland (of Audion) has taken over directorship of REVOLVER and will be adding his unique signature to the REVOLVER brand.
Audion International
Chez Reynaud
Le Haut Mont
17360, La Genetouze
France
HOURS OF BUSINESS: 9 a.m to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday. GMT + 1 Hr (Central Euro Time)
TEL: +33 (0) 5 46 04 32 82

We are English Speaking and a British Company.

We also speak Danish, Dutch, Icelandic and some French
Have you any Revolver belts, mate?
Har du Revolver-bælter, kammerat?
Heb je revolverriemen, maat?
Hefur þú einhverjar Revolver belti, félagi?
Avez-vous des ceintures Revolver, mon pote?

(Careful, one or more of the above may be construed as asking him if he'd like to have rough sex.)

Last edited:
Sorry to jump into the thread, but it's recent with relevant content...
I have a Revolver with Linn LVX and MDF/Medite platter. I also have a Noryl version platter which I picked up to compare. Now, the two platters are notably different diameters.. medite one is 300mm but the Noryl is 295mm and consequently runs around 1% fast.
Can anyone shed any light on this difference? does the Noryl platter need a smaller motor pulley to suit?
Was there particular model variants/years which specifically used the Noryl platter and maybe a different motor pulley to match?
Appreciate any insight!

No need to apologize; after a few months of drifting abandoned at sea, old threads are anyone's to claim.:)

That is interesting about the platter diameter differences. I doubt that the moulded pulleys would have been changed, as the cost of doing so would likely have been prohibitive. Then again, SEE would have had to invest some to have the Noryl platter mould(s) made, and would certainly have specified an exact diameter. Perhaps they believed that circa 1% fast would appeal to the target demographic?

Running the numbers:
SAIA UDR series, 12-pole AC synchronous motor = 500rpm @ 50Hz.
ø30cm platter + ø2cm pully = 33.33rpm.
ø29.5cm platter + ø2cm pully = 33.90rpm.
33.90 / 33.33 = 1.017
To achieve an exact 33.33rpm speed with a ø29.5cm platter would require a pulley of ø1.97cm.

Personally, I doubt that I would be able to detect a 1% fast deck without direct comparison to one that is right on speed. On the other hand, like most folk, I am sensitive to speed inconsistency.

Last edited:
I doubt that the slight size difference is the reason the platter is the wrong weight. If it's an aftermarket platter that's why it's the wrong weight.

I doubt that the slight size difference is the reason the platter is the wrong weight. If it's an aftermarket platter that's why it's the wrong weight.
I must have missed out on the post that you replied to there, Colin.

Assuming that someone had chimed in with some speculation or question about the Medite platters origins, the Revolver did originally come with such, but it wasn't long before the company decided to invest in having the Noryl one produced as a means to more economically ramp up production over the long haul.* Also, with the outer platter rim being the drive surface, the potentially improved concentricity, combined with speed and consistency of part manufacture, likely made injection mouldings a production necessity.

I also recall reading some history that suggested that SEE Electronics were able to neatly fill the gap left open by Rega, who had both fewer dealers and months long wait times back then. Certainly, Revolver decks sold in large numbers both over here in Canada (via Plurison, Canada's largest hi-fi distributor) and in the US (the latter via Roy Hall of Music Hall fame from before he sought out Pro-Ject as source of his own brand OEM decks, post SEE Electronics demise).

* something that Rega have also seen fit to do similar, starting with RP1.

Hello there people

I wonder if I could find out the two resistor values as mentioned on post 29 / page 2 by Craig B

I have a revolver here with one of the resistors is clearly a 33k , the other is slightly singed/burnt and I can't deduce the colours accurately as a result.

Whilst the later revolver motor PCB (with no resistors) picture is there on post 29, the early revolver motor PCB (with resistors) picture is missing

Can anyone help please ?

Hello @ZafeBeeb,

Unfortunately, the hosting site appears to have dropped that one. I didn't keep a copy of the original (a Google images find) else I'd put it up again. Regardless, I think you likely have the same PCB as pictured below, which can be fitted with 2 x 0.22uF MKT X2 250+V film caps, same as Rega did back then*. The cap that filters the mains down will last far longer than will any direct replacement carbon dropper resistor that you are likely to use (although an equivalent metal oxide resistor would outlast us all).

I can help you out with identifying your board and/or tracing where caps go in lieu of resistors, if you'd like to try this.

44432786945-cc04a99fec-o.jpg

45296138452-7d8d5b95e7-o.jpg

* SEE Electronics were copying Rega here, as the SAIA motor specification is for 0.27uF on operational cap.

UPDATE: I did manage to find the photo of the original UK PCB, however, it is so small as to make identifying the resistor values a bit difficult. Regardless, the original post has been updated.

As to what the resistor values might be, for reference, Rega Planar started out with a single 15kOhm carbon (plus 0.22uF phase cap) for both UK and Europe. This resistor was subsequently changed out for a longer lasting metal oxide type, 12kOhm for the UK and 10kOhm Europe, before Rega changed over to 2 x X2 rated 0.22uF film caps (plus switch suppressor resistor) which continued up to circa P3 2000 when the circuit was modified to include 2 x caps plus 2 x resistors (possibly reflecting the results of research that resulted in the hand tuned Planar 25 circuit).

Last edited:
I was collecting bits of Revolver turntables a little while ago, but I have had to put this project back a bit due to the workshop roof needing repair (not a simple job). I admit to having a thing about plinths, and the Revolver design looks interesting, so a good start. But I also have a thing about tiny turntable motors, and how they might impinge on the w/f. To that end, I decided to get several motors (with pcb) and chain them together to get 15 watts worth of torque (same as my Lenco turntables). Then I can add mass and damping to the plastic platter. Also, I have a few arms I can use, including one of the original arms, a Linn LVV (aka ADC ALT-1) and LVX Basic +.

advertisement

Back