advertisement

Tone arm for revolver tt

Simon66

pfm Member
Hi all, I have acquired a revolver tt minus tone arm, obviously if I am able to find a revolver one that would be good however if not what would be a good fit?
TIA

Think it used the same Jelco oem as the Ariston Q-Deck and many other turntables

It's probably the same geometry as a Linn arm, which is the same as a lot of ProJect arms. You can buy ProJect arms as spare parts from Henley quite cheaply, an ideal way to get an old budget deck working. I'd go for the unipivot, sounds lovely.

thanks will definitely check that one out, is it an easy install? Never done it

The arms are designed as spares for ProJect decks so do not come with exsternal cables. You'd have to make those. Some of the arms, most of them, have a similar fitting to Linn with three screws from underneath. If the Revolver is cut for a Linn arm fitting should be really easy.

Most cheap ProJect arms are shite! The star is the unipivot. Build quality is still terrible but you a unipivot is simple so you get away with it.

The Debut Carbon arm isn't actually carbon. It's aluminium with a carbon pattern wrap.

Most if not all Revolvers were cut for a Linn fit arm i.e. one central large hole with 3 smaller ones around it - as Mr Pig points out. Is that what's on yours?

If so then as mentioned there are lots of Jelco made arms with someone else's badge on, including the Revolver ones of course. The decks could be bought without an arm in which case many people fitted a Linn LVX but there were other options too. As said, they are all very easy to fit.

Occasionally you see a Revolver that someone has modified to use with a different arm, usually a Rega.

They are very nice decks and underrated IMO.

My Revolver, bought in 1992, came with a rebadged arm from Jelco, called the 'Revolver Super' arm.

It is a Linn fit and has been used every day for the last ten years on my Technics 1210. It is superior to the RB250 that it replaced.

The only snag is that there isn't much room in the headshell so only a few cartridges seem to fit. Luckily the Golding 1042 fits perfectly.

Sure I've seen these fitted with Linn Basik LVX arms back in the day.
An early Akito should be OK if you can find one with good or serviced bearings.

Sure I've seen these fitted with Linn Basik LVX arms back in the day. An early Akito should be OK if you can find one with good or serviced bearings.

Too expensive. People are paying daft money for old Basik arms and more so the Akito. Considering how many of these arms are past their best I wouldn't even be looking a them.

Although there are well documented problems with sticky bearings on the Mk1 Akito, I'm not aware of any significant issues with the Basik arms. Yes, they're getting on a bit but then so are the Jelco's that would have graced these decks.

Agree some recent prices seem a bit OTT.

Most if not all Revolvers were cut for a Linn fit arm i.e. one central large hole with 3 smaller ones around it - as Mr Pig points out. Is that what's on yours?

If so then as mentioned there are lots of Jelco made arms with someone else's badge on, including the Revolver ones of course. The decks could be bought without an arm in which case many people fitted a Linn LVX but there were other options too. As said, they are all very easy to fit.

Occasionally you see a Revolver that someone has modified to use with a different arm, usually a Rega.

They are very nice decks and underrated IMO.
Another plus for a Linn Basik arm. I have one on my Revolver TT. Sounds great with a newer cartridge.

Note that if it is a Revolver Rebel, minus its factory fitted tonearm, the plinth will require drilling in order to accept a 'proper' tonearm mount.

$_86.JPG

Last edited:
There will be some way to bodge it up and fit an arm on there. Worth doing but I wouldn't spend a lot on the arm. It's not justified.

I had a Logic Datum2 arm fitted to mine when I bought it in 85/86. Should be cheap if you can find one.

advertisement

Back