advertisement

Tom Waits vinyl remasters

Ewen1970

The Ocean Doesn't Want Me
Anyone done any comparisons?

Am listening to the remaster of Alice and it sounds, er well, different.

What are the others like? I see Real Gone is also remixed not just remastered.

Real Gone was remixed as you say, I'm not sure that the others were. I only have an original of Alice so I can't comment there but the background story was more about 'restoration' of these Anti- releases. I think they have re-released the Anti- original albums and the 7, early Elektra albums to date. I have compared the new releases to 80s Elektra copies in some cases, but not minty copies, and to CD releases, and the new issues are very enjoyable I must say.

Real Gone was remixed as you say, I'm not sure that the others were. I only have an original of Alice so I can't comment there but the background story was more about 'restoration' of these Anti- releases. I think they have re-released the Anti- original albums and the 7, early Elektra albums to date. I have compared the new releases to 80s Elektra copies in some cases, but not minty copies, and to CD releases, and the new issues are very enjoyable I must say.
Damn!! What did you have to go and say that for? I now know where all my (not so) spare cash is going
"The Devil Dances in empty pockets"

Damn!! What did you have to go and say that for? I now know where all my (not so) spare cash is going
"The Devil Dances in empty pockets"

Haha! No they've been releasing these since 2017 or 18. Some of the specials are still out there if you look around. I have Heartattack & Vine on 180 g clear vinyl for example ;)

Haha! No they've been doing this since 2017 or 18. Some of the specials are still out there if you look around. I have Heartattach & Vine on 180 g clear vinyl for example ;)

Stop it, just stop! I may have to put you on my ignore list :)
I do remember reading about he and his wife re doing the Anti releases but heard no reviews of them.

These were all released a few years back. IIRC Waits made some comment about not needing if you already had them sort of. I didn't have many so I ordered most. They arrived in such shoddy condition and with really dubious SQ so I sent them all back and got a refund.

Over the years I've acquired Japanese releases of the first eight TW albums, all better than the copies I had, uk releases.

I've found earlier pressings of Waits' albums to be usually fairly expensive e.g. $30-40. Are they just rarer, or are they highly sought after?

I've found earlier pressings of Waits' albums to be usually fairly expensive e.g. $30-40. Are they just rarer, or are they highly sought after?

They would not have been huge sellers bitd so they're probably quite rare in good condition - perhaps less so in the US?

That’s good to know. Will have a word with my Japanese dealer...

I actually really like this copy of Alice I have here

I just bought Closing Time as I've never had it on vinyl. Sealed and Mint. The record is flat and quiet, SQ is more than fine if a little lacking in something - it's a just little closed in and slightly mushy perhaps but I only have the CD to compare. Honestly, for £16 it's great, I certainly can't afford mint originals or Japanese pressings, that's not my kind of collecting. I have some of the 80's, German reissues and they are very good, but they're not cheap any longer either.

Saw a Blue vinyl copy of Bone Machine on auction on eBay this morning. No Buy It now, so thought I'd bid later and put it on the watch list.

This afternoon its gone after 1 bid.

Balls

Saw a Blue vinyl copy of Bone Machine on auction on eBay this morning. No Buy It now, so thought I'd bid later and put it on the watch list.

This afternoon its gone after 1 bid.

Balls

There are quite a number of unofficial releases of the Island albums, I wouldn't know if that was...

Not sure I get the motivation for remastering these albums. To me, with just a couple of exceptions, the originals sound pretty impeccable.

Agree. It's just another ploy to get people to buy yet another reissue...

The originals & later pressings generally sound fine and so do the CDs.

There are quite a number of unofficial releases of the Island albums, I wouldn't know if that was...

Same chap seems to have a number of coloured vinyl editions up. someone seemed to suggest these were legit though. Are they?

Not sure I get the motivation for remastering these albums. To me, with just a couple of exceptions, the originals sound pretty impeccable.

For me I was after getting certain ones like Alice, on vinyl where I only add the CD.

Pulled the pin out and bought Real Gone, Mule Variations and Blood Money as well as Alice.

Alice is great. Real gone is definitely "Remixed" and some tracks do sound quite different. Not listened and compared to the original though yet.

Mule and Blood still to be opened

advertisement

Back