advertisement

Tom Waits, Used Songs

stevec67

pfm Member
I'm filling in my TW collection. Bizarrely I don't have Closing Time, though I have the rest of his early stuff. I keep seeing "Used Songs" going cheap on CD, is this worth having? The songs I already have on Heart of, Small Change, Nighthawks, etc, but if these are alternate takes then I'll get it. If however it's just a compilation of what I already have on the albums I'll pass.

Thanks, I will go with "Early Years". I sampled the MP3 version of Used Songs and what I recognised was identical to the album versions, so this fits.
I've also got a copy of "Closing Time" coming, which is a winner. I think this completes my collection of early TW albums, I have the set up to the Swordfish trilogy, and one or two after that, but TBH after Swordfish, Blue Valentines and, erm, Frank's Wild Years (?) I don't play them. Small Change, Heart of and Nighthawks are regularly on though.
The soundtrack he did with Crystal Gayle gets a good writeup, worth having? One from the Heart iirc.

Have you got the Orphans set? I really it, three themed CDs. I am a proper fan boy, find value in most of his output.

I'm filling in my TW collection. Bizarrely I don't have Closing Time, though I have the rest of his early stuff. I keep seeing "Used Songs" going cheap on CD, is this worth having? The songs I already have on Heart of, Small Change, Nighthawks, etc, but if these are alternate takes then I'll get it. If however it's just a compilation of what I already have on the albums I'll pass.

Used Songs on CD is particularly well mastered, there's something about it that really sounds terrific to my ears. I have this 2001 release in the digipak.

advertisement

Back