advertisement

Tom Waits, name your favourite

Woodface

pfm Member
In the spirit of the recent Bowie thread I would be interested to hear submissions on this one.

I came to Tom Waits rather late, I never really saw him as ‘my thing’ but a chance hearing of ‘Blue Valentine’ lead me up a rather twisting trail.

I always struggle to pick one of his albums off the rack, almost paralysed by choice. ‘Heart of Saturday night’ was another early favourite but I keep getting sucked in to his more ornery offerings.

With a gun to my head I may go for ‘Real Gone’ but...

Blue valentine is my favourite album, followed by swordfish trombones........

My favourite track of the moment is 'Gods away on business' - seems somewhat appropriate for the current times!

S

Swordfish trombones followed by blue valentines followed by heart attack and vine.

Alice is my favourite new one

I never really explored further than Swordfishtrombones & Rain Dogs! I like both of those, but everything else I’ve heard has just seemed to be a dilution in one way or another. I just got the impression that was the high watermark and stuck there.

I never really explored further than Swordfishtrombones & Rain Dogs! I like both of those, but everything else I’ve heard has just seemed to be a dilution in one way or another. I just got the impression that was the high watermark and stuck there.
Blue Valentine is an amazing record, plenty of others from his later period like Mule variations, Alice & Real Gone.

I put him alongside the real greats.

Tom would probably have five albums in my top ten, but every track on Heartattack And Vine is a winner and it has to be my favourite closely followed by:

Small Change
Mule Variations
Blue Valentine

I always liked the early stuff, The Heart of Saturday Night, Small Change, Blue Valentine, as has been said, but there're so many. Love Rain Dogs too. Like the best, he reinvented himself so many times. Brilliant.

Tom Waits - Under The Influence is a superb documentary on Amazon Prime.
Two hours plus about the man and his musical influences.

Holly Cole's Temptation is a masterpiece too

CAPP048SA.jpg

In no particular order

Small Change
Blue Valentine
Rain Dogs
Frank’s Wild Years
and the live (pseudo live?) Nighthawks at the Diner

advertisement

Back