advertisement

Tom Tom Foam Grilles for SBL

JohnMak

pfm Member
I read on the forum some time back that Tom Tom were having new Foam Grilles made for SBL's.
Have any forumers bought them yet?

Really interested to get some if they are good looking.

My understanding is that Naim themselves are looking to source replacement grilles if they are good enough, from a company in the States as I was speaking to Steve Hopkins recently. If this is successful SBLs and DBL grilles should be available again! :)

Chris Bell (another forum member) were researching the viability of sourcing replacements when we found that the factory was doing it too. James may or may not be using the same source- I don't know as I haven't had chance to ask him recently.

Once Chris and I found that Naim active in this area so to speak we stepped back and likewise are eagerly awaiting developments.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter says: My understanding is that Naim themselves are looking to source replacement grilles if they are good enough, from a company in the States
I hope that Naim learn what happened to Toyota with the accelerator pedal that was made in the USA. Imagine you are trying to decrease the volume but the volume goes louder. May cause accident with your neighbors.

Arye

NO REPLACEMENT GRILLS
I got the impression from the many posts on fish that naim was a top hi fi
equipment maker .
surley they should be providing grills for their fans
naim must have know that the grills deteriate afer around 10 years or so
thats the nature of the foam they used
let me know if naim gets a new suplier i could do with some

Naim have to firstly find some marketing strategy to enable them to retail for huge amounts of money. That £10 bit of foam will morf into £200 plus.

This is the answer I got when I asked Naim about them a couple of weeks ago.

Hello

No sorry we are no further forward in our quest for SBL grills, the supplier we thought could do this supplied samples that were awful

Regards

Steven Hopkins
Customer Relations Manager

It seems avondale audio will be making quality crossovers for the sbl .
maybe les with his knowledge will manage to source ,the foam mentioned
he has may contacts in the high end audio world

had an email a while back from james at tomtom asking to keep an eye on the website as the foam exists but due to a H&S issues it is difficult to cut
This is from memory so if this isn't 100% then apologies to James

Martin

I think the American Co may be:
www.foamspeakergrilles.com

They made new IBL grilles for me about 3months ago, they look and sound superb.

Chris N

Thanks Chris I will check them out. An alarm bell did ring when I read this on their web site though...

Note: Your speaker components should preferably be flush mounted as standard grilles we provide have no relief on the back to accommodate drivers. If they are not, we can provide grilles to accommodate non-flush mounted drivers or you may have to build frames for the grilles.

I guess your have no cut outs for the drivers then?

ATB, Bob

Sourcing of the foam is the easy bit. Who were those guys (Chinese I think) who were/are doing replacement grills for Sara's and Briks? Andrew bought some for his Sara's that he owned then, they were absolutely first class copies of the orignals in every way - including very neat recessing on the back to allow for driver excusion - 100% like the ones that Linn made. They could certainly do the Naim grills.

Sourcing of the foam is the easy bit. Who were those guys (Chinese I think) who were/are doing replacement grills for Sara's and Briks? Andrew bought some for his Sara's that he owned then, they were absolutely first class copies of the orignals in every way - including very neat recessing on the back to allow for driver excusion - 100% like the ones that Linn made. They could certainly do the Naim grills.

This sounds more like it!

Which Andrew? AFAIK the reason for the problem getting the grilles is that there is some EC ruling or whatever about toxic fumes being given off when cutting the foam with hot wires.

Good ol' China. Bring on the Global Economy...!

I am soon going to be selling some SBLs whose grills are in perfect nick. Perhaps I should market them as 'SBL foam grills' at some exhorbitant price for grills alone....and throw in the speakers themselves for nothing ;-)

I am soon going to be selling some SBLs whose grills are in perfect nick. Perhaps I should market them as 'SBL foam grills' at some exhorbitant price for grills alone....and throw in the speakers themselves for nothing ;-)

That makes sense to me! ;)

This sounds more like it!

Which Andrew? AFAIK the reason for the problem getting the grilles is that there is some EC ruling or whatever about toxic fumes being given off when cutting the foam with hot wires.

Good ol' China. Bring on the Global Economy...!
Well in any case, the EU is financially quickly looking like it is only a matter of time, before it goes down the toilet of History as a once thought great dream' that failed. Even telling other countries: what and how they can go about, doing the simplest of tasks; making a bloody foam speaker grille!!! .Fancy having to kowtow to its zillions of mad Rules..
Surely some factory could provide facilities where it is done by a mechanism, fully ventilated and /or in sealed off compartments away from workers. You would think people were being asked to play around with molding say, deadly asbestos.:eek:. That now... would be a cause for alarm.

Thanks Chris I will check them out. An alarm bell did ring when I read this on their web site though...

Note: Your speaker components should preferably be flush mounted as standard grilles we provide have no relief on the back to accommodate drivers. If they are not, we can provide grilles to accommodate non-flush mounted drivers or you may have to build frames for the grilles.

I guess your have no cut outs for the drivers then?

ATB, Bob

Hi Bob,
The IBL grilles sent to me are fully hollowed out on the backs - so i don't understand this statement - they are supposed to have the speck from Naim?

I have not been to the site since i ordered my grilles from them, so was unaware 0f this statement.

All i can suggest is that you e.mail them as they have changed their way of making them.

HTH

Chris

advertisement

Back