advertisement

Today I learnt..

Not today actually, but a few days ago, a member of a scientific community I belong to sent us an email describing how the shock wave from the Pacific undersea volcano has had an effect on the barographic traces of those of us in the UK who own such instruments and records. Yes, I know, prove it with a picture!

Anyone who can play an instrument around the corner from them is to be revered. If they also invent things..... I'll get my coat

I expect before the chin rest came along violins used to be played like the cello. But resting in the lap, not on the floor, hence why they don’t have a fitting for a spike.

dateposted-public
Not today actually, but a few days ago, a member of a scientific community I belong to sent us an email describing how the shock wave from the Pacific undersea volcano has had an effect on the barographic traces of those of us in the UK who own such instruments and records. Yes, I know, prove it with a picture!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sneachda/51836857707/in/dateposted-public/

I reckon that using a chinrest on a violin changes the sound, especially if the player opens and closes their mouth.
Imagine a Cello without an endpin.

I wonder if the Cello endpin was invented as a result of seeing the conductors batten.

This is a detectable feature on the sea level monitoring station in Cornwall. It popped up in a Rick Stein program last week.

advertisement

Back