advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

Watched an RTA unfold, as the cliché goes, right in front of me. Two cars, then a motorbike, then me, travelling in convoy along a b-road at 35mph in a 50mph limit. We were being held up by the front car, whose driver was either unsure how to drive or unsure where he/she was heading, and by the double white lines. Suddenly he/she decided the left turn the left turn he/she was parallel with was rather attractive and simultaneously braked sharply, turned and indicated. Car number two had no real option other than slam on the brakes too, as there were cars approaching in the opposite direction. It seemed a sensible thing to do, so I followed suit. As I did, I seemed to have time to ask myself “why isn’t the biker stopping?” over and over again. Instead, he rode up the back of car number two, crashed to the ground sideways in front of me, and rolled off.

By the time I got out of my car he had struggled up and was striding towards car number one (which had stopped three-quarters of the way through its turn). I had the distinct impression he wanted an in-depth discussion with the driver, and probably not about the weather. I called out ‘are you OK?’ and got a thumbs-up, but not so much as a glance. He was a man on a mission. I decided I could live without seeing the dénoument, so murmured “my work here is done”, swerved round the bike that had been left lying in the middle of the carriageway and continued to Morrisons.

Still suffering from Covid, managed to drive to London and back for a socially distanced site meeting with the my decorating team but it's taken it out of me. Thankfully sore throat has gone and I'm barely coughing, so it looks like I'm coming through the other side. Spent the free time it's created researching speaker reviews. I have been sidetracked with youtube videos of people living in very small apartments and houses, fascinating design in some of them.

Cheers BB

this morning - putting together a morning (reality is it will be 90 mins) activities (Cyber Security, and Assistive Robotics) for a visit to us by the BOG

this afternoon fixing and updating workload allowances for various roles for academic year 22/23

I am at the Stags Head enjoying beer and fish&chips. Both delightful.
NfamaZTl.jpg

obmqRwdl.jpg

3hBXdUel.jpg

Before this I spent a lovely day in the company of Simon, who built me a Paradise phono stage and collected blue belts, panzerholz, a Shure cart, a Thorens tonearm holder and a Tron Sig. MM stage. Simon let me listen to his and my Paradise phono stages in his very enviable set-up. Engaging, clear and capable of showing how the individual vinyls or hi res was produced.
pXuEkCMl.jpg

fntSsfnl.jpg

Simon took me to a great breakfast bakery/cafe and then we drove on to Poul's (orangery rendering) palace for music and good coffee. I was taught that my Quad ESL 57s definitely need 12" subs! Lovely and soul-shaking sound that I would like to have at home. I also listened to his 4 box Paradise. Lovely!
612tYTtl.jpg

After that we went to Paul's work shop where he cut me a very nice panzerholz top plate for my plinth-less Thorens 135. It was a joy to see Paul gently coax beauty out of mundane-looking panzerholz. Cheers for that!

Lastly Simon drove me back and forth like the true gent he is, so I could give him a few hifi things to ship for me and collect my phono stages and what not to haul home on the plane.

This has been a very joyful trip. Now I'm fortifying myself with great British beer before the 20 minute walk back to my hotel.

Thank you, Simon, Paul and Thornbridge beer for this fatastic experience. I'll be back.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I spent hours on the phone to Wrightington Hospital, to see if I could get any news on my mythical surgery, because my current Pre-Op only has two weeks to expiry.

Endless and repeated phone calls went unanswered, so I determined to try again today and then if no response, actually drive over there and rattle a few cages. I mean I know they are busy..but it's pointless wasting staffing and other resources on endless pre-ops and then not doing the surgery.

So at 08:40 this morning as I was gearing myself up for another 'Telethon', the phone rang. It was Wrightington Hospital offering me a cancellation for surgery next Monday.

Naturally, I accepted.. Gracefully....

But. The Surgeon told me ages ago to stop taking Aspirin 1 week before surgery. Today I was told to stop 1 day before. A few other inconsistencies too, so I'll probably be on the phone again tomorrow.. but progress..
default_smile.gif

Written in 1920 by Karel Čapek

R. U. R.

ACT ONE
Scene: Central office of the factory of Rossum’s Universal Robots. Entrance R. down Right. The windows on the back wall look out on the endless roads of factory buildings. Door L. down Left. On the Left wall large maps showing steamship and railroad routes. On the Right wall are fastened printed placards. (“Robots cheapest Labor,” etc.) In contrast to these wall fittings, the floor is covered with splendid Turkish carpet, a couch R.C. A book shelf containing bottles of wine and spirits, instead of books.

when I booked the car in for a service today I did not know there was a rail strike, never mind as I know there is a bus stop almost opposite. The last bus left the merseytravel station at 08.59!!! and it was the only bus route on that road. So a two mile walk into the city centre in this hot,hot weather to the main bus station. I did discover that there are several all day breakfast places some full English and a Chinese/English along with an African/English café. Waiting for the call to say it is done so I can make the return journey

when I booked the car in for a service today I did not know there was a rail strike, never mind as I know there is a bus stop almost opposite. The last bus left the merseytravel station at 08.59!!! and it was the only bus route on that road. So a two mile walk into the city centre in this hot,hot weather to the main bus station. I did discover that there are several all day breakfast places some full English and a Chinese/English along with an African/English café. Waiting for the call to say it is done so I can make the return journey

UBER or a cab?

one-2-1 with the boss - dept needs to continue to grow - need to recruit more staff

met with the architects to look at workspaces, and staff clustering in the new building....which was interesting given the growth rate of my department.

on leave tomorrow :D

continuing a kitchen refresh . foolishly laid laminate in a kitchen some years ago and it started lifted 2 years after . so been planning to change it to high quality vinyl . Fairly big job to move all appliances out and redecorate . Also to save waste used the laminate in a stud wall to reinforce it and save taking to tip !!

Sorting out various bits of paperwork that’s been on hold since DIY fever struck. Also it’s been far too hot to do anything more strenuous.

Recovered from Covid just in time to take daughter #2 to Bicester Shopping Village for her birthday. She was in her element with Mrs BB, who would be a gold medal contender if shopping became an Olympic Event.

TBH the day went quite quickly and she enjoyed herself. I do baulk at the thought of a £500.00 handbag and then remind myself about glasshouses.

Cheers BB

... claiming my state pension via the gov't website. Got stuck on about page 5. No means to save what I've already entered, so I'll have to start all over again when I can find my French NI number equivalent.

The site has been written by an illiterate.
"Have you ever lived outside of the UK?"
"What countries have you lived in ?"

The site has been written by an illiterate.
"Have you ever lived outside of the UK?"
"What countries have you lived in ?"

The first question is grammatically correct but sounds odd because it is more common in American English than in British English.

For the second question, "what" is the appropriate interrogative word for that question. "Which" would only apply if it was limited to a choice of two.

Still getting over the shock of getting in the car after a service and MOT to be greeted with a readout of 6.9 MPG:eek:
I now have a range of 8 miles left in the tank, the engine is loosening up and I am getting 50.0 MPG now that I avoid short trips and rush hour

Recovered from Covid just in time to take daughter #2 to Bicester Shopping Village for her birthday. She was in her element with Mrs BB, who would be a gold medal contender if shopping became an Olympic Event.

TBH the day went quite quickly and she enjoyed herself. I do baulk at the thought of a £500.00 handbag and then remind myself about glasshouses.

Cheers BB
Wait until she 'need' to upgrade the belt :)

advertisement

Back