advertisement

Today I have mainly been v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up the replacement shower pump flexi hose from Screwfix. Ordered yesterday, had to come from the warehouse, so pretty good.

Pretty simple fit, pull out the push fit 15mm plastic pipe from the old one, remove pump end via plastic nut. Clean up 15mm pipe end, and face of pump outlet, then fit new. Seems to be leak free now (fingers crossed).

lounging around watching the jubilee concert on iPlayer, watching Wales, watching a parade.

Made a Lamb Methi, with Peas Paneer side from scratch. Eating the above

Went to The Old Town in Aarhus with old friends. Visited some 70s apartments exhibiting what a young family home, a communal home, and an elderly couple's home looked like back then. A blast from the past, some 8 years before I arrived in Aarhus in 1984. I saw some photoes from 1976, one where I thought I was in it. But that can't have been me.
Later I and my wife grilled salmon, vegetables, sausages, falafels and served it with tzatziki and pita + a delicious cold potato salad. Lots of Pinot Blanc, Brut and Storia di Famiglia, Chianti Classico, Cecchi. Had a very nice time chatting with our friends.

I get bettet for every day and have finally begun to remember dreaming at night. A good sign.

Last edited:
The Wife is trying to facilitate her frail very elderly parents move to sheltered living.

Father in Law has worsening dementia, Mother in Law says one thing, agrees to move then changes her mind every 24 hours. Wife is getting fractious with her mother’s stubbornness.

I will get The Wife some flowers today. I will also try to be agreeable.

BT you have my sympathy and support. My mum had dementia for the last 7 years if her life. I hope your MIL sees sense soon because if your FIL is too ill they won't be accepted for sheltered housing and then it becomes more difficult.

Went to Croydon for some Adventure (Crazy) Golf, with #2 Daughter and #2 Son and our Northern guests.

Cheers BB

You`re a brave man.

I like to think I`m open to new experiences but going to Croydon for adventure or indeed pleasure of any sort is not one that would have occurred to me.

Kate Moss is famously (or is it notoriously) from Croydon, so it can't be all bad. Though I did go there once, and can't say I noticed any positive attributes at all.

Kate Moss is famously (or is it notoriously) from Croydon, so it can't be all bad. Though I did go there once, and can't say I noticed any positive attributes at all.

I forgot about Kate Moss, I always think of Samuel Coleridge-Taylor and of course Eric Pode as being the only notable Croydonians.

I was working throughout the extended holiday, so largely missed out on all the fun and games, but when I got home on Saturday afternoon it appeared that a neighbour had a live band in the garden. I was also aware of a persistent, almost subliminal bass thumping coming from another direction. After a cup of tea and an attempt at a 10 minute kip, I thought I'd circumnavigate the neighbour's garden party and walk across the fields to the village. As I approached the neighbour I realised that the band was not after all in their garden - they appeared to be away - but coming from the village itself, a mile beyond.

The village lies in shallow valley formed by a brook, and is clustered around what was the crossing point of an unmonickered London to Norfolk Roman road, the crossing itself now carried by a narrow red brick Georgian bridge. Walking down to it across the fields one can see ancient clay peg-tiled roofs and the pretty village church, but you are spared the ugly 1930s ex-council houses with their uPVC 'upgrades', and the usual 1960s excrements that spill out along the lanes. It thus briefly presents a slightly arcadian, Laurie Lee-ish illusion, on this occasion belied by the racket coming from the covers band behind the pub. I had felt tired and unenthused by the prospect of this jollity, but on the final approach I found a spring in my step to an excellent rendition of the inevitable 'Mustang Sally', which carried me across the bridge and through the pub car-park, where I managed to side-step the Colonel and his wife. The Colonel is a good man, who occupies his time rallying the residents into a community-spirited action group, but he notably lacks the mischievous sparkle of his late father, one of the famous SAS North Africa originals, and his colourful mother, who was known as 'the First Lady of The Regiment', and whose family used to run the pub. Instead I ran straight into another neighbour, a kindly and jolly chap who lives 'next door' to me, and who sells a very well known brand of Scottish hi-fi for a living, and his wife, upon whom too much drink and some recent rather drastic 'work' was combining to slightly startling effect. After exchanging greetings, I found my sister, her farmer husband and my brother's two daughters sitting outside the front of the pub. I took delivery of a very welcome pint of Guinness, and after chatting awhile we repaired to the garden to watch the band play their last few numbers. They were excellent, and I was struck by the fact that they were all about the same age as me, an observation that sat slightly incongruously with their superb 'Sex on Fire' by the Kings of Leon. After their final piece, a very faithful take on Thin Lizzy's version of 'Whiskey in a Jar', the dog and I headed gratefully back across the fields.

As I approached home I was aware that I could still hear, or rather 'feel', as though within the chest, the bass thumping that I mentioned. Later, when several crescendos had made my house rattle, I sent a text message to my Zurich-resident friend, who was home for the weekend, and asked him if he was aware of it. He replied that he was wondering too, but assured me that it wasn't him having a techno-rave, but that he was drinking my wine and watching the Jubilee concert.

It materialised today, courtesy of the Shepherdess, who has insight into such things, that it came from the Creamfields electro-music festival at Hylands Park in Chelmsford, a good 10 miles distant!

BT you have my sympathy and support. My mum had dementia for the last 7 years if her life. I hope your MIL sees sense soon because if your FIL is too ill they won't be accepted for sheltered housing and then it becomes more difficult.

It will be at a turning point soon.

Mother in Law has refused to move, and refuses to have professional help.
I sense a broken hip from a fall, and then pneumonia is on the cards.

I got The Wife some lovely flowers, she will be frazzled. I guess a massive vodka & tonic will be part of the evening.
bloody parents.

64764374.jpg

I forgot about Kate Moss, I always think of Samuel Coleridge-Taylor and of course Eric Pode as being the only notable Croydonians.

If Croydon was so wonderful, they would have stayed there, wouldn't they? Where they ended up is a likely far better measure of desirability of a place. After all, they did not have any choice about where they came from!
:)

It will be at a turning point soon.

Mother in Law has refused to move, and refuses to have professional help.
I sense a broken hip from a fall, and then pneumonia is on the cards.

I got The Wife some lovely flowers, she will be frazzled. I guess a massive vodka & tonic will be part of the evening.
bloody parents.
yes so difficult moving relatives . We are working very fast to move someone before its too late .

Particularly entertained by BBC 1pm news: Nadhim Zahawi simultaneously promoting himself and protecting Johnson. They all have to do it of course but his was a delightful confection! Haven’t had so much fun with a radio since Micheal Gove slithered out of John Humphrey’s strangleholds on Today’s 8:10 grill fest some years back.
Back to hand weeding the pavers….

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back