advertisement

Today I have mainly been v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my ballet-dancer niece to watch the intriguingly précised Sean Mathias Hamlet in Windsor last night. 'Age blind' - it stars Ian McKellen (82) as Hamlet and Jenny Seagrove - who must be a good 20 years younger - as his mother - and both casted and set in an androgynous 20th century, it was certainly a bit of a mind-bender, and played at times openly for laughs. Jonathan Hyde was more than a safe pair of hands as the uncle/stepfather, Seagrove rather good if a bit wooden, and so convincingly Danish that I assumed the part was actually being played by a Danish actress till I looked up the cast afterwards. Standouts were Frances Barber as a brilliant Polonius, and Ali Wyn Davies, who by common consent steals the show as an increasingly damaged Ophelia, singing (beautifully) most of her lines - self-accompanied on a guitar - partly fragile hippie singer-songwriter, partly deranged rock chick.

McKellen was a joy to watch, in turns both his age and youthfully lithe - he seems to retract in age through the play. The only problem was that we were up in the circle, and his voice has lost that edge of 'throw', going back into his jowls somewhat, and becoming slightly muffled by 's's that have thickened to 'shs' as it were, as though his mouth has shrunken slightly around his teeth. As a result, we couldn't quite hear a lot of his dialogue. He charmingly thanked the audience after the curtain, and informed us that is was their 82nd consecutive performance.

Drove back along an M25 so empty as to be unfamiliar, but after drop-offs didn't get to bed unto 1.30. Overslept this morning.

I’m back working with the media johnnies next week, and as most of them will probably be wearing shirts advertising something or somebody, jeans and trainers I’ve decided to freak them out with suits and a succession of ever more outré waistcoats. I’ve narrowed the selection down to eight, but the paisley number bottom left is marked as definite, having tried it today with a pale grey suit, black-and white shirt and grey tie*. I think the final combo next Friday should include the oxblood Loakes. Perhaps I should save the red one for that.

51512031354_8221605522_z.jpg

*finished off with my (as I now know thanks to @Joe P) NCC-1701 cufflinks.

51511849792_e4a0f703b4.jpg

Last edited:
Weeded the driveway today. It’s one of those egg crate thingies with gravel poured into the holes. Attractive until the dandelion seeds get spread around. A bit like picking spots but very satisfying and avoids the use of weedkiller. The key is digging up the roots with a screwdriver. Eventually, the membrane will fail, and then I’ll be in trouble.

having a load of aggro with a domestic appliance repair company based in some dodgy industrial estate in enfield . for some reason they keep harrassing the chap i care for . they said it was 150 to cancel a policy after 5 days which is wrong
now they are harassing for more money for another policy . if you ring them you cant get through , its very concerning that such companies can be out there . their website has spelling mistakes in it

Where 14 days have passed
The cancelation policy allows only 14 natural days for you to cancel your policy. 14 natuiral days will be calculated from the date of the cover initiated, which will be clearly visible in your contract.

very suspicious . i have contacted which magazine

having a load of aggro with a domestic appliance repair company based in some dodgy industrial estate in enfield . for some reason they keep harrassing the chap i care for . they said it was 150 to cancel a policy after 5 days which is wrong
now they are harassing for more money for another policy . if you ring them you cant get through , its very concerning that such companies can be out there . their website has spelling mistakes in it

Where 14 days have passed
The cancelation policy allows only 14 natural days for you to cancel your policy. 14 natuiral days will be calculated from the date of the cover initiated, which will be clearly visible in your contract.

very suspicious . i have contacted which magazine
I'd call the Police as well....

I think the final combo next Friday should include the oxblood Loakes. Perhaps I should save the red one for that.

Maybe that would be too obvious a match?

The green paisley, bottom left.

Depends on the pocket square colour.

Fantastic, what a great project. Are you doing all the brickwork yourself?
Cheers. Doing everything myself apart from plastering and having some friends help with the brickwork just to offset the time as the scaffold is mega expensive. Rebuilding the top and repointing the whole building as well as repairing frost damaged facing bricks, new windows and new roof.

yesterday running a socially distanced welcome back event for the 75 people in my department, which included the 21 new recruits I'd never met face to face.

Last night was a bump into friends unexpectedly. First in the 'spoons, our neighbours, someone from down the road and a colleague......all of whom we wouldn't expect to see there. Then on to our local Indian, where we bumped into a crew from the Abertoir, including some who come back to the place from rural Norfolk. Then to our local, to unexpectedly find some other people we hadn't seen in lockdown.

Hanging a bit after 10 or so pints, but a great Friday was had

wow , thats worthy of grand designs !!
That’s what my partner says but it’s not quite as grand as those. Good project though, keep thinking about doing a blog or thread on it but it’s a bit ‘look at me’ in some ways… plus I’m too busy actually doing it :D

Starting the day properly, in front of my stereo. First coffee of the day.

Left forearm sporadic electric shooting pain has been back with a vengeance this week. Not had the pain for a few months so forgot about it. It baffles me. I have had investigations into it a few years ago, which revealed nothing.
In terms of my pains being ranked, this left forearm pain is in a league of its own. It makes me flinch and swear in an instant with no warning. After that my arms feels odd for a bit, then the pain comes again, or doesn’t. So I get in a mess waiting for the excruciating pain to come again, or not… puts me on edge.
I kept a pain diary on this specific pain for a year. It showed no pattern, except that it would occur several times over a few days and then nothing potentially for months, or same thing a week later.
I am right-handed which is at least some consolation.

I have just had a bout of arm pain, which has taken my mind off of my groin/knee/right hand-wrist/ right elbow (different pain to right hand-wrist) pains.

At least I don’t get headaches very often. ;)

I think I will clean up an album that I haven’t heard before and have a deep listen.
(or I might just continue to play c.d’s all day)

amongst many things called to see the double glazing we had done at family members house . they did a lovely job but its cracking quite badly now . the lower frame has even split allowing daylight through . i must say i am quite worried how it can be fixed

when they put them in the took out the wooden cill which may have been a step too far perhaps ?? anyway heaven knows how it will be fixed . was weighing up whether to get a RICS surveyor in or get straight back to window company. anyway gone with latter at the moment

br2 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

br1 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back