advertisement

Today I have been in 2 Ferraris

richardg

Admonishtrator
The first one was a Testarossa. The seats are for garden gnomes and the headrests dig into my lower back. The engine squeals at low revs and the interior panelling reminded me of British Leyland.

The 348 Targa started pissing water on both our legs in a downpour, he even had two towels stashed away to manage the situation.

The classic Ferrari dream is completely shattered. They were not even that fast.

The Grand Tour put a Testarossa and A Countach around their track, the Testarossa was slower than a Focus ST, the Countach not much better. They are terrible compared with modern cars. I think newer Fezzas are OK but plenty of YouTube vids of folks spending a fortune trying to run older ones on a budget generally unsuccessfully.

I did have a chance at getting a cheap 308 a few years back but was strongly advised not to by every car trade contact I have. I heeded the advice.

I’ve driven a Testarosa round a track, more of a grand tourer really. Not that fast low down, I think they have around 390bhp but are quite heavy.

The Grand Tour put a Testarossa and A Countach around their track, the Testarossa was slower than a Focus ST, the Countach not much better. They are terrible compared with modern cars. I think newer Fezzas are OK but plenty of YouTube vids of folks spending a fortune trying to run older ones on a budget generally unsuccessfully.

I did have a chance at getting a cheap 308 a few years back but was strongly advised not to by every car trade contact I have. I heeded the advice.
A 348 is almost in reach. But I might as well get a TR6 and spend the rest on drugs and beer etc. It's probably more engaging to drive.

Shock horror: we’ll regarded modern hot hatch is faster around a race track than thirty year old supercar! You’d hope that tyre, suspension, brake, engine and transmission tech would give that result really.

What is really missing is a sense of occasion. That really should never be lost.

The year Ferrari started including the 7 year service package was the year they had some confidence in their build quality. Wouldn't look at one before then, unless looking is all you want to do.

yummee , we have loads of weddings here at the moment [ like the floodgates have been opened ] and lambos and ferraris roar up the street when they are on . beautiful

The year Ferrari started including the 7 year service package was the year they had some confidence in their build quality. Wouldn't look at one before then, unless looking is all you want to do.

They're lovely if you don't actually want to use them - just regular use breaks them it seems.

As a boy I had pics of a Countach on my wall. As an adult I don't think I'd like to drive one in case it ruined the dream.
I also had McLaren F1 pic on my wall. I have seen that in the flesh and gosh it's a looker. Bet it goes like stink too.

I think I’d still prefer a Countach or 308 over a “hot hatch” that looks pretty much the same as my (hypothetical) neighbour’s “bottom of the range hatch”, but with the addition of a couple extra bits of plastic trim and an after-market loud exhaust.

A 348 is almost in reach. But I might as well get a TR6 and spend the rest on drugs and beer etc. It's probably more engaging to drive.
TR6 is reputed to be less fun to drive than a triumph Spitfire. I had one of those (didn't you too, I think you said?) and they are great for country lanes at 55 but no sports car. They look pretty.

I own an old Porsche, wouldn’t dream of owning an 80’s or 90’s Ferrari! The bills would terrify me. Engine out to change a clutch on a 355 etc. I’d rather spend the money on, well, pretty much anything.

Never drive your dream car if it’s 20 plus years old, you’ll probably be very disappointed!!

I had my Miami Vice dream shattered when I drove a Testarossa. We very nearly bought a Maserati 4200 in 2005. The dealer (Dick Lovett) lent us one for a weekend. Very subtle it was too, a bright yellow Maser with the plate 10VET. The Ferrari 4.2 V8 was utterly glorious. The noise when opening up was totally addictive and intoxicating. Came so, so close to buying one but went boring instead with a Porsche. In hindsight, wish we’d bought the Maser, just to have done it as we probably never will now.

advertisement

Back