advertisement

To process or not

Lefty, to be pedantic, I think though that the average camera has more dynamic range than the eye, and certainly a whole lot less distortion (eyes are terrible for distortion!). However, what we 'see' isn't what comes in through our eyes, but what our brains perceive from it, and that's a whole different matter with a quite amazing and sophisticated range of processing being applied.

As for the above image of the dog, I like the muted colours. I think it is a very useful visual cue to indicate the overall lighting level by muting colours when it's darker. This is analogous to what happens with your eyesight, that your colour receptors work less well in lower light, with bright vibrant colours meaning direct sunlight, and lower saturation meaning a lazy spot in the shade. The colours haven't changed of course, but our perception has shifted with the amount of available light, and so it's a good way of reflecting this in photography (well I think so!).

No, I don't agree. I'm into la photographie vérité. Let photos report the image as it was, not as it should be :)

I appreciate your different viewpoint; in that case, judicious cropping is required as there's a whole bunch of distracting information that lends nothing to the subject. #8 )

Sorry, no cropping necessary. You can't crop real life, though you might want to :)

OK then, we (the photography collective!!) will rephrase it, move your feet and frame the picture better :)

possibly, though this would change the perspective with the given focal length. There are some reasonable leading lines in the current setup, though the relative brightness and toning of them doesn't enhance the image.

composition and exposure.

It's like he wants to shoot only with iron sights and refuses to recognise the accuracy and superiority of the scope. More accurately, execute only half of the process of making an image. Hair shirt photography. :D

It's a picture of my dog. Really, that's all that matters. Don't get sidetracked by all the BS that is photography.

By the way, all settings were what the camera selected. Sorry.

advertisement

Back