advertisement

To Parents of 16 and 18 year olds

So your earlier remark was too vague. What you meant to say was 'Home schooling can sometimes be a device for ‘off rolling’ (getting difficult kids off the school roll) used by schools with a good reputation to protect their headline figures'.

(Add Virginia Woolf, Robert Browning, Tennyson and John Stuart Mill to the list of 'home-schooled' people who did quite well regardless).

So your earlier remark was too vague. What you meant to say was 'Home schooling can sometimes be a device for ‘off rolling’ (getting difficult kids off the school roll) used by schools with a good reputation to protect their headline figures'.

(Add Virginia Woolf, Robert Browning, Tennyson and John Stuart Mill to the list of 'home-schooled' people who did quite well regardless).
Not really. Yes homeschooling can be a parental choice and there are many examples of successful homeschooling, but in the context of off rolling to get rid of difficult kids, it is one of the devices commonly used. It’s not just difficult kids, who suffer, but also kids who are not going to make a positive contribution to a schools headline figures.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8444/

I guess that bright kids in a high achieving school are ok
I’m sure it’s not as simple as that. Covid has forced kids into highly challenging times and it’s surely a combination of ‘brightness’ plus application, plus parents’ availability or ability to support, etc., etc. I expect that even in the Venn diagram overlap of bright kids and high achieving schools, it will net out that there will be winners and losers, the happy and the unhappy, etc. As a family, we feel that the education disruption is possibly THE biggest impact of the Covid pandemic.

Thank you for this thread ks. My daughter is 16 and would have been taking GCSE’s this year. She is a high flyer compared to most of her fellow students but she did have a blip in one of her mocks. She was very premature and has hypermobility as a result. In the history mock the school was not set up for her, and she lost 30 minutes of the exam going to pick up a laptop from it, plus the additional stress this caused. I’ve no doubt she will get the grades she needs for sixth form (predicted 2 x 9 for English Lang & lit) but it is an awful time for them, especially given the rollercoaster of the Scottish results. We have tried to explain that in future the GCSE’s won’t really matter compared to higher exams, but it’s still a horrible tightrope for all concerned right now.

If I may intercede...
Of course it is a very worrying time for parents, kids, teachers etc.. Also.. I have little faith in the present Govt. to sort out a piss up in a brewery... much less anything important...

BUT. Please do not re-inforce your Kids' fears. Whatever happens to their exam results etc.. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.

Talented.. intelligent and committed people will always do well. There are ALWAYS ways through.. ways around and ways out.

Whatever you or your Kids think.. it does NOT all rest on a few A levels.

If I may intercede...
Of course it is a very worrying time for parents, kids, teachers etc.. Also.. I have little faith in the present Govt. to sort out a piss up in a brewery... much less anything important...

BUT. Please do not re-inforce your Kids' fears. Whatever happens to their exam results etc.. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.

Talented.. intelligent and committed people will always do well. There are ALWAYS ways through.. ways around and ways out.

Whatever you or your Kids think.. it does NOT all rest on a few A levels.
Yes, agree with that...but...while teachers and parents will present a sympathetic but positive face to their kids, it won’t stop them worrying themselves sick behind the smiles

It's a hard enough time for kids doing exams at the age of 16 or 18, far too young IMHO, I'm sure the pressures felt by the pandemic and lockdown circumstances will have a marked effect on many. The only good thing being these exams can be taken again if need be and in real terms they are of little or no relevance or importance once the student goes into further of higher education or indeed into the working world.

It's a hard enough time for kids doing exams at the age of 16 or 18, far too young IMHO, I'm sure the pressures felt by the pandemic and lockdown circumstances will have a marked effect on many. The only good thing being these exams can be taken again if need be and in real terms they are of little or no relevance or importance once the student goes into further of higher education or indeed into the working world.

My son gets his A' Level results tomorrow, he's currently working in our local Spar shop. I've already told him I have no problem with him staying at the Spar for a year and re-taking his A' Levels if necessary. My youngest daughter is starting University in September two years behind, she re-took an A' Level in 2018 and then deferred for a year because she had a well paid full time job, she's saved enough money to virtually pay her way through University now.

Cheers BB

I really wouldn't worry. The combination of Brexit / covid-19 / offshoring will ensure that there are no jobs other than shelf stacker available. Your education or lack of it won't make much difference, in fact it might count against you.

My 4 nephews all really struggled to get jobs for years until they did and that was 10 years ago when only offshoring was a factor.

EfO1FAGVoAE4Hcv

Youngest tomorrow...he had straight A* and A's until the mocks so we won't be able to rely on them...
3 A's and a B. The B in the Biology which is the course he's applied for. Typical.
Offer was 2 A's and a B with A in Biology.
UCAS website has crashed.

3 A's and a B. The B in the Biology which is the course he's applied for. Typical.
Offer was 2 A's and a B with A in Biology.
UCAS website has crashed.

That looks like he’s been downgraded by one full grade across the board. If so, that’s so wrong. My sympathies are with both of you.

It’d be interesting to hear if everyone at your son’s school was likewise downgraded

Is it ‘picture of attractive girls holding exam results’ day today?

We wouldn’t have this problem if Gove/Cummings hadn’t taken education back to the 1950s and relied again on exams. A GPA from coursework would meant student could continue to be assessed.

As usual. A Tory feckup.

Stephen

That looks like he’s been downgraded by one full grade across the board. If so, that’s so wrong. My sympathies are with both of you.

It’d be interesting to hear if everyone at your son’s school was likewise downgraded
He's been offered a place at first choice Mcr Uni.
But he was thinking of deferring so it could get complicated.

He's been offered a place at first choice Mcr Uni.
But he was thinking of deferring so it could get complicated.

It looks like fewer students are deferring than predicted, which is a good thing.

I'm glad they have ignored the pundits—if too many deferred and Universities cap the deferral numbers (which they would if too high) the competition next year would be greater.

Stephen

Interesting piece on Today (Radio 4) this morning, around 08:30 (if memory serves) about modern apprenticeships. These are not like traditional apprenticeships which were mostly for 'hands-on' type professions, but are structured ways to enter a career path, such as the law, accountancy, etc, without doing a degree. They would seem an ideal alternative for many kids whose results are a bit askew, but who are not mentally committed to a particular course of study or career. Based on what I heard this morning, parents of kids in this position could do a lot worse than look into the options here.

advertisement

Back