Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

To DR or not to DR (Supercap)

Discussion in 'audio' started by tonyx, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 38yrs a Naim owner

Close!!

A 252/SCdr swopped for a 72 with remote control RSL cards and local regs
    The 72 just makes your feet tap and you sing along to the music
    The 252 was sterile...not even as nice as an 82 / hicap

Don't get me wrong...the 252 is not a bad preamp....it's more about a balanced system...mine was not balanced...even though it ran to 10's of thousands £
    A happy system is a balanced one...it's that simple
    It's been about 2 years now...and still no desire to change anything! ( But maybe keep improving on what I already own :))

2. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Similar on my side : 32.5 with NJ after market boards (or even better a 72 !) with a pimped HICAP with Avondale TPR4 or something similar is more music and punch while the newest and larger Naim pre are more hi-fi and accuracy but not as lively.

Mynamemynaim likes this.
  3. tonyx

tonyx pfm Member

Interesting. What sources are feeding your pre amps?

4. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Marantz CD 6006 used as a transport and a highly modified Chinese DAC based on the AK 449x chip.

5. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 38yrs a Naim owner

Vinyl is Rega p8 / aria
    Digital is naim core/nds/555ps

Then into 72 with super regs/ Avondale 300 monos / kudos S20A

Gervais Cote likes this.
  6. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

Yeah, you'd think I would remember that given that I named the company. Bloody spell checkers.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  7. bruss

bruss pfm Member

Just on the DR. Do it. I had a 252 and SC. An SC DR came up at a good price. I now have a sublimely better sound from the 252/SC DR (originally into a 250 nonDR, now into a 300 DR).

tonyx likes this.
  8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

It really should be much better though, investment of circa £4K on top of £20k plus of amplification (rough current RRPs).

It’s a bit of a nonsense when you think about it.

9. bruss

bruss pfm Member

Not sure what you mean about nonsense. It costs more to get a better sound. Whether its worth the extra is in the eye, or ear, of the beholder.

Old Shatterhand likes this.
  10. Bob Edwards

Bob Edwards pfm Member

Really?

11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Yes, sorry, my point is that it shouldn’t be required for such elevated equipment. This is coming from an ex 252/sc owner. I personally made a decision that it wasn’t worth it & went down a different path so would suggest alternatives are looked at.

Mynamemynaim likes this.
  12. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

Or listened to

;)

Woodface likes this.
  13. bruss

bruss pfm Member

Its a a can of worms, or a rabbit hole. You pays yer money and makes yer choices.

14. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

+1 for the Newt regulators.

I got Witch Hat to fit two bolt down SNAPS with Newt regulators each providing two outputs to a modified bolt down NAC32 and a NAXO. This is the front end to 3 NAP250s driving Isobariks.

While I am not able comment directly on the improvement in sound as at the same time the whole system was serviced. The 44 year old system after servicing and modifcation sounds great.