• Amy Winehouse

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Steve Winwood

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
There are so many tracks that share the same name but are completely different from one another, and sometimes it'd hard to say which song is better (a lot of the time it's really easy!). To alleviate bank holiday boredom - should you find yourself in such a state of mind - I've drawn up a handful of big titular bake offs, as it were.

The first one is Valerie: Steve Winwood versus Amy Winehouse. I know The Zutons penned the version Amy Whinehouse sings but because her version is far more popular than the original, that's one I've chosen to compete with Steve Winwood's. I have my views on this particular bake off but I'll refrain from saying so until the poll closes this evening.

I love nearly everything Amy Winehouse did - I didn't like Valerie. It was like the Mike Flowers Pops version of Wonderwall (I didn't much like the original either).
Winwood Valerie is very much of it's time but it does it all right. Result: vote 1 Winwood.

I definitely prefer Vaerlie by The Zutons to Amy Whinehouse's cover, but Steve Winwood is Steve Winwood and his Valerie is just the best. I mean, he's even got a fan blowing wind at his hair in his video so checkmate all you Valerie wannabes!

advertisement

Back