Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tipsy

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Big Tabs, Nov 20, 2020.

1. mega lord

mega lord Centre tapped

I am waiting until my madras is delivered at 5.45 before I indulge. Can't wait

Big Tabs likes this.
  2. mand

mand pfm Member

I want one now

Big Tabs and mega lord like this.
  3. Big Tabs

Big Tabs “telling it like it isn’t...”

I never really liked the pints in a pub thing. (I don’t think I ever had pub mates, or that many friends )
    I did have a few years as a regular in my local (camra approved) real ale pub, but I wasn’t in the best of places at that time. Great anecdotes, bad time...

There is a member of our extended family who has issues with alcohol. I sympathise with you. It is challenging at times. I hope you don’t see this thread as a glorification of something that is a serious issue that affects many people. The thread is a selfish way of letting off some steam during a particularly stressful time, in my case.

Enfield boy and martin clark like this.
  4. Big Tabs

Didn’t one of those Fat Ladies (the ones with the motorbike and sidecar, who cooked stuff) have an issue because of the vast amount of tonic water she drank? (never mind the gin...)

I might be making it up. I have been known to.

5. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Of all the drinks I take gin and tonic gives me by far the worse hangovers.

Mullardman and Big Tabs like this.
  6. Big Tabs

That doesn’t bode well for me then this evening.

7. mega lord

mega lord Centre tapped

My first beer will be a 660ml bottle of Bangla lager delivered with the madras. Support local business :D

Snufkin likes this.
  8. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I prefer Bangla to either Cobra or Kingfisher and I also rather like the idea of a beer from a muslim country.

9. Big Tabs

@gintonic

Now, I think it was you. Your name is a clue.

I think you said, ratio wise, 1 gin to 2 tonic.

So the tonic 150 ml. gin (bombay sapphire) 75 ml. small squeeze fresh lime juice, 2 small rocks.

( Wifey said that is the ratio her Dad would have)

Gosh. A different drink altogether. More of a sipper, than a refreshing ‘chucks it down’ drink.

Wife raised her eyebrows when I proudly showed her my G&T...
    (I set ‘em up, you knock ‘em down...)

Much to my surprise, I found a bottle of Tanqueray export, unopened. So after this one, the next (and probably my last ;)) gin & tonic will be the Tanqueray.
    (there are a few others with summat in them? cucumber or lord knows what, they are lurking about somewhere, new fangled hoodiddy)

Wife also came back from shopping with a fab jar of tiny cocktail onions.
    (I am like a pig in sheet)

Listening to Dirty Harry OST.

I have just realised it is Saturday. :( Wife will be glued to the TV watching end-of-the-pier BBC tripe. o_O

mmm... booze, stereo, huge amount of music.

Sounds like a recipe for ear delights.

The gin and tonic is really spot on.

mega lord and gintonic like this.
  10. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I've never had a hangover from drinking spirits or wine, but beer does it. I'm a lightweight anyway, especially since retiring (much work-related activity was fuelled by alcohol).

Big Tabs likes this.
  11. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

I had plenty of pub mates of all ages but I wouldn't call them real friends, a lot of the old boys were great craic.

Thanks, it's a lot more challenging when they are drinking and pretty much fine when they're not, funny old thing, how some can take or leave it and yet for others it becomes a burden

Big Tabs likes this.
  12. wacko

wacko pfm Member

? Brewed in Manchester.

Bob McC likes this.
  13. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

we love the pub thing. Despite our locals being a 'spoons (beer is actually ok) and a terrible for beer McMullens pub, we are still regulars....

I like to spend time with characters like Tesco Dave, who spends all his free time in the 'spoons, buys 4 pints of John Smiths at a time for himself, and either drinks 12 or 16 pints 3 or 4 times a week.

Big Tabs likes this.
  14. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Tonight I shall be mostly drinking Ribena...

15. Big Tabs

I understand exactly what you mean about spending time with characters.

Without realising it, at one point, I was one of those characters.

I used to get a telephone call from the pub in the morning to remind me to pick up the bag/clothes/[insert absolutely anything] that I had left in the pub the night before.

Audiophile Alert: I used to drink (heavily) with a bloke who worked at Nottingham Analogue. The times we had.
    (not too much detail as this is public consumption)

I can still see him, falling into his stereo. Piano black huge lowther speakers, and of course an insanely heavy Nottingham Analogue deck. the platter looked 4 to 6” thick. Bonkers.

16. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

Bother, read that 3 hours after a shopping trip to Aldi. All not lost though, managed to get a bottle of their Greyson's (used to be Oliver Cromwell) gin. Not top drawer but very agreeable.

Big Tabs likes this.
  17. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

Bang on, great with a decent dark rum!

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I've started brewing cider from supermarket apple juice, it's great. Optimised the process over lockdown, got it taped now. I can complete it in 2 weeks, but it's better if I take 3-4, especially with the cooler weather. No sulphites, I add fresh apple juice when serving if I want to add sweetness. 10% added juice upon serving gives about 1% added sugar, which makes for a pleasant drink akin to the commercial dry ciders.

Enfield boy likes this.
  19. wacko

wacko pfm Member

No need to be so rude about the latest supermarket offer on Aussie wine.

Enfield boy likes this.
  20. Big Tabs

Any port in a storm.

:)

Enfield boy likes this.