advertisement

Tips for new soldering iron tip

RichardH

Bodging pleb
Just replaced my Antex XS's tip, as the old one was getting past it. Whenever I've had a new tip before, it's been an easy job to tin the tip, and have a nice shiny tip ready to do, and willing to do its job.
However, this one has immediately charred up, and has a nasty dark coating on it - solder is just rolling off it (and yes, I know I shouldn't carry solder to the component on the iron). Makes it hard to heat up the component legs.

Any suggestions?

richard:

i suspect you know this already, if so, apologies in advance...

try Tip Tinner/Cleaner available from Maplin code JG06G, for about £3.99

when this novice last used it, it worked very well indeed.

enjoy

ken

Originally posted by Ken C
richard:

i suspect you know this already, if so, apologies in advance...

try Tip Tinner/Cleaner available from Maplin code JG06G, for about £3.99

when this novice last used it, it worked very well indeed.

enjoy

ken

Highly recommended. I discovered this about a month ago, soldering has never been easier. I think RS and Farnel do it too.

start of every solder job i just file off the old solder and flux down to the copper, then when the tips hot, re-tin it and away. My last tip must have been good for 50-60 sessions though which seems fine. Its also free. How amateurish.
cheers
ced

CPC do it too (#SAM-1966), and as I'll be ordering from them soon, I'll get it there.

50-60 sessions - not bad, when a new tip is under £3 too!

I bought a soldering tip whilst i was in the middle east working. It hd a kid of hard, frosted metallic coating on it. I think the guy told me it was some kind of ceramic material. Never seen them since althoughi have looked. I've been using this tip fro about 4 years now and it is still going strong. I was told at the time never to use abrasives on it as it would be ruined, I've been using that Maplin tip cleaner for a few years now - great stuff. Although it is probably primarily a plumbers type of solder, and acid based Fry's 'Fluxite' in a little green tin is brilliant. A little dab on the work and the solder never fails to flow.

On all Weller soldering stations you have a sponge which you wet with water and squeeze damp. When you turn the iron on and it gets up to temp wipe the tipoff on the sponge. Likewise, prior to each soldering of components or connector pins repeat same procedure. You will find your iron tips last years as well as getting a nice film of solder on the tip.

Most decent suppliers sell real sponge for this purpose - do not use sythetic sponge as it will melt.

Mark

I use damp sponge, and find that it normally does the trick, but this new tip has immediately got a very resiliant layer of crud on it that won't shift with a wipe on the damp sponge.

Originally posted by RichardH
I use damp sponge, and find that it normally does the trick, but this new tip has immediately got a very resiliant layer of crud on it that won't shift with a wipe on the damp sponge.

Hmmm...dodgy Antex ;-)

Mark

I got hold of some of the tip tinner, and it's worked a treat - lovely! Was expecting a larger pot, but having used it, I think it will last a good long time.

Originally posted by RichardH
I got hold of some of the tip tinner, and it's worked a treat - lovely! Was expecting a larger pot, but having used it, I think it will last a good long time.

i was also expecting a larger quantity when i bought it -- but having used it, i can see that even that small amount will last a while. i am glad its worked for you as well...

enjoy

ken

advertisement

Back