advertisement

Times they are a changing - talk to me about headphone listening

lordmortlock

Late to the Tannoy party
Interesting couple of weeks here.

Like many of us I’m sure, Music is my primary way to relax at home in the evening. This has always been tolerated and in fact encouraged by my lovely lady, but since the birth of our son things have changed a bit. We’ve had a few difficult conversations about music ... volume and genre, and whilst it doesn’t bother or wake the boy the fact that it might is stressing my better half out. She’s tired too, we both are. Not like us to argue but we did last night, as I’d had a week from hell and just wanted to sit down with some tunes and she kept asking me to turn it down, to the point that it just wasn’t worth listening to. So I turned it off, in a strop.

Now, ettiquete rather dictates that matrimonal harmony comes above Hifi. I didn’t feel that way last night mind, but I’m being a little bit less of dick today. So here it is audio friends ... that dreaded question. Can a headphone session be as rewarding as open room listening?

A couple of possible issues. One, I have pretty bad tinnitus from years of clubbing. And two, I’m a proper soundstage and imaging fanatic. I like my music big and wide, well beyond the boundary of the speakers. I guess headphone listening just rewards in a different way? Trying to be positive about this, onwards and upwards and all that.

I always find open back give a more spacious sound. Are they a substitute for speakers, nah, but they'll carry you through till life settles down.

I pretty much only listen with headphones these days - domestic harmony takes precedence. Do I miss speakers - not really, get it right and headphones can in many ways be a more rewarding listen. You get an intimacy with the music, perhaps even greater insight thanks to the close proximity to your ears. BUT, there’s always a but, you need to be prepared to spend decent money on a dedicated headphone amp and high quality headphones otherwise you will just miss the sound from your main setup. Also, while I agree with sq225917 that open back phones give a more spacious sound they also leak sound so those around you get a bit of an earful too which may not help with the problem you are facing. Btw - I have mild tinnitus and wearing headphones isn’t an issue but do try some setups out before taking the plunge.

That’s good info, cheers both.

I have a Xiang Sheng dac 01a here kicking around so I figured that’d get me up and running as a headphone amp for now. Am I right in thinking I can just run from my integrated tape out into that?

Yes you can wire it that way.

Want to get into cans and enjoyed clubbing? Get a pair of Denon ADH2000.. like a club on your head with Turbosound bass, but decent quality and the best soundstage I have heard with cans (no I’ve never heard electrostatics) but the bass on the Denons is just addictive and makes me smile.

They have a slightly dark sounding signature with magical 3D bass which suits atmospheric dance and ambient music very very well.

Dear Jake,

Sorry to hear of the domestic tensions - matrimonial bliss always comes before hifi, indeed.

Picking up on some of your desiderata: spacious sound, imaging are attributes often associated with the Sennheiser HD800. However, even a second hand pair is going to set you back at least £600. From personal experience, I can confirm that AKG K702 is going to offer you many of those qualities at a very high standard for considerably less. Unlike (some) K701, K702 has good bass, is invariably very comfortable, has a detachable cable, and looks somewhat better IMHO.

It is often referred to as difficult to drive, but that isn't my experience (although a Graham Slee Solo is a particularly good fit). You should be able to pick up a new-ish K702 for as low as £70 (I know I did).

Domestic bliss: it is true that closed-back isolates the sound more effectively. AKG K550 has been a standard go-to affordable closed headphone for several years now, but I find it considerably less satisfying than the K702.

In all honesty, I think the issue of sound leakage/open, vs. closed back is something to be discussed with your wife (who will probably appreciate the fact that you are going through the trouble of finding solutions in the first place). Perversely, tinnitus may be a blessing here since it will force you to closely monitor your listening levels (always essential with headphones anyway), and may render open back designs (of which there are considerably more) just as good a domestic option for you.

Good luck!

The way I see it, music can be enjoyed through any device - whether listening to music on a cheap as chips radio in the kitchen or through an eye watering-expensive system in a dedicated music room, and the same goes for headphones. When we stop thinking about how music could or should sound, we can get on with the bit that matters the most: listening to music for the reasons why we listen to music. As long as the headphones you choose are comfortable, I think you'll be able to enjoy yourself :)

FWIW I find that soundstage when listening through headphones is very much dependent on the recording. The differences are much more noticeable than when listening with speakers.

I find that headphones can make me feel more involved with the music, but you're never going to feel the floor vibrate, and that can make for a somewhat sterile experience.

I have mild tinnitus, and I do notice that listening through headphones even at modest levels can antagonize it.

Dear Jake,

Sorry to hear of the domestic tensions - matrimonial bliss always comes before hifi, indeed.

Picking up on some of your desiderata: spacious sound, imaging are attributes often associated with the Sennheiser HD800. However, even a second hand pair is going to set you back at least £600. From personal experience, I can confirm that AKG K702 is going to offer you many of those qualities at a very high standard for considerably less. Unlike (some) K701, K702 has good bass, is invariably very comfortable, has a detachable cable, and looks somewhat better IMHO.

It is often referred to as difficult to drive, but that isn't my experience (although a Graham Slee Solo is a particularly good fit). You should be able to pick up a new-ish K702 for as low as £70 (I know I did).

Domestic bliss: it is true that closed-back isolates the sound more effectively. AKG K550 has been a standard go-to affordable closed headphone for several years now, but I find it considerably less satisfying than the K702.

In all honesty, I think the issue of sound leakage/open, vs. closed back is something to be discussed with your wife (who will probably appreciate the fact that you are going through the trouble of finding solutions in the first place). Perversely, tinnitus may be a blessing here since it will force you to closely monitor your listening levels (always essential with headphones anyway), and may render open back designs (of which there are considerably more) just as good a domestic option for you.

Good luck!

Good morning Steven,

Thanks for that information, really useful. One of the benefits in all of this is that I’m a complete headphone novice, so lots to research and learn! My go to iems for travel etc have always been Shure, so I think I might try a pair of SRH1540 first. They seem good value, doubly so second hand.

Open back isn’t out of the question though, as we’re talking about mid/late evening when my wife is often watching tv elsewhere. I probably wouldn’t use cans if we were sat together, she’d think I was a bit anti social I think!

I don't think open back headphones would cause a problem unless as you say you are sitting together. Across the room and imo it wouldn't be a problem. Leakage is minimal really and no where near the same as even listening to speakers at a very low volume.

You won't want to be listening at too loud a volume anyway as it'll just cause any tinnitus to flare up afterwards.

The way I see it, music can be enjoyed through any device - whether listening to music on a cheap as chips radio in the kitchen or through an eye watering-expensive system in a dedicated music room, and the same goes for headphones. When we stop thinking about how music could or should sound, we can get on with the bit that matters the most: listening to music for the reasons why we listen to music. As long as the headphones you choose are comfortable, I think you'll be able to enjoy yourself :)
Well put.

I have been listening to music through 'phones since Jan. 2015 since we moved house. There is simply not enough space in our home to have an amp and speaker set up.

Before we moved, I would not have contemplated a 'phones only system. I think I was a snob about 'phones and had not heard what a good set up could do.

Now, I really do not think I will go back to an amp and speaker set up. I love my Stax 007s and Mjolnir Audio amp. Like Jake, I am really into a deep and wide soundstage and my set up ticks those boxes. Listening through 'phones is a more intimate experience; I find that I get lost in the music much more than I used to.

Even if it is just for the short term, I am positive that you will be able to put together a 'phones system that will bring you a lot of pleasure and maintain matrimonial bliss:)

Like Alan I listen through a 'phones only system. There is an adjustment to be made (over speakers) and swapping stuff has brought rewards (HD600's driven by a Lehmann Linear amp). A sixteen feet extension cable makes for real flexibility.

I feel for you!

I have to often use 'phones in the studio.

I've been using this–it makes a serious attempt at reproducing the 'speaker' sound in 'phones. Done a few mixes now and they sounds pretty good in comparison to my ATCs. Only computer-based audio though.

Stephen

I've been listening to headphones almost exclusively for the last three years. I find open backed headphones do a fairly good job of recreating the soundstage, and I often feel like I can 'hear more' in tracks. Having said that, there really isn't a comparison to speakers, which is a totally different sensation.

One of the nice things about headphones is that you can have more than one pair - i've got some Staxs and Sennheisers, and happily swap between them for different tracks/music types.

I would personally place comfort over sound for headphones, as I tend to wear them for at least an hour at a time. May not be a popular opinion though!

Thanks Loz, and everyone else who has posted here. It’s been really useful, sounds like there’s plenty of benefits to headphone listening.

I’ve taken on board the comments about open back cans and gone for a pair of Shure SRH1840. I’ll run them with a basic Xiang sheng 01a for now, as a headphone amp close to my sofa, with a long pair of interconnects out from the back of my integrated, so I’ll have my lampizator dac and TT as source but volume controls close by.

Quite proud I’ve managed to resist diving straight in and buying a Woo Audio WA7 ...

Another exclusively headphones user for real listening for a couple of years now. A lowly Teac, HTC and CCA take care of background/ casual music requirements.
As a result of previously needing 3 set ups, work, hobby room and main I'm left with a mix 'n' match choice.
K701, from main set up, with DIY Aclass amp.
HD560/K550 on another DIY amp/dac combo.
HD600 and cheaper others on a heavily modified X-Cans v2.

Each of the main headphones mentioned work well on any of the amps with the exception of K701 which only sings 100% on the Aclass amp.
I have heard the 702 and 712 and can confirm they are also happy on any half decent amp.
The speaker set up has been boxed up for ages and may well be sold off.

As already mentioned there is a tuning in period while you get used to the different presentation. It's all pros and cons.
Comfort is king, no matter how good any cans sound.

I've been following this thread with interest as I'm expecting the arrival of our first child very soon and I too will have to learn to love headphones.

I have two options for headphone outputs in my system. The first is on my CD player which is a Sony CDP-555ESD and has a really nice headphone output with an Alps Blue pot! The second is on my amp (a Sony TA-F770ES).

It would be nice if I can use the output on my CDP to avoid having to use my amp which is runs hot and consumes quite a lot of power.

What sort of impedance figures should I be looking for if I intend to use my new headphones with the CDP headphone output?
And what about if I'm using the headphone out on my amp what sort of range of impedance ratings is likely to be suitable?

advertisement

Back