advertisement

Time for a new Cartridge

music4nusic

pfm Member
Im currently in need of a new replacement and I'm tempted, for various reasons which have nothing to do with sonic characteristics of the Dynavector XVS-1 ive been using for the last year, to move away from DV. In the past Ive had Koetsu Black, Benz SLR Gullwing, Transfiguration Phoenix and a low end Ortofon. To be honest, I loved the DV and would stick with it but for reasons which have nothing to do with the sonics of the DV I must sadly devolve the relationship I had with my DV.

Trying and selecting carts is a total minefield and although you might be able to demo one in a dealers system it can take on a totally different perspective when employed within your own system. I therefore call upon my fellow Pink fishers to help me with your historical finding, loves, hates and advice on what I should consider next. Im currently tempted by a higher end Koetsu (Urushi) or a high end Van de Hul...yes opposite ends of the scale perhaps but should you have any recommendations Id appreciate it.

A little about my system...currently using a Michell Full Orb and awaiting delivery of my new Transrotor Orion which is a move away from the suspended Michell Orb and to the Transrotor which is a mass deck of platter weight at 16kgs and a uncoupled magnetic drive. SME V tonearm to an AN4 step up transformer into the MM stage of an Icon Audio PS 3 phono stage.

Thoughts and opinion is welcome.

May I recommend my Benz LP, freshly-retipped, and in the classifieds at a very reasonable £1250? Works very well on an SME V.

As above...Ive had an SLR Gullwing and moved away from it...im really looking for something which is reputed to excell against the DV XVS-1

Via the Ortofon webshop, link above. Old ones are traded-in from time to time, are refurbed and appear on that page. You could email Ortofon to say you are interested and they will let you know when one pops up. I think they go for about £2000, which is an outrageous bargain.

I'm using a Keiski Blue amazing cartridge email Gaius of this parish the best cartridge I've ever had by a mile.

Regards,

Martin

The fact that you've already experienced the flavour of a few diverse high-end cart's suggests that you'd have a better chance of choosing correctly than many.

Naturally, as a former Black Goldline owner and now Urushi Vermillion, I'd recommend your Koetsu choice. I'd also suggest, if poss., to go to a 12" arm if you're getting a mass deck. Koetsus and most other m/coils will love it.

I'm currently looking for something to accompany my new 12" PU7, and am looking at Lyra (Etna?), Transfig. Proteus (and you're ahead of me there having had an Orpheus) and top Benz. DV doesn't appeal for some reason, and VdH cart's are largely highish compliance which doesn't sit well with my arms (other's a Notts Analogue Ace Anna 12" on Dais).

Just my thoughts, as I'm in a not dissimilar situation.:)

The fact that you've already experienced the flavour of a few diverse high-end cart's suggests that you'd have a better chance of choosing correctly than many.

Naturally, as a former Black Goldline owner and now Urushi Vermillion, I'd recommend your Koetsu choice. I'd also suggest, if poss., to go to a 12" arm if you're getting a mass deck. Koetsus and most other m/coils will love it.

I'm currently looking for something to accompany my new 12" PU7, and am looking at Lyra (Etna?), Transfig. Proteus (and you're ahead of me there having had an Orpheus) and top Benz. DV doesn't appeal for some reason, and VdH cart's are largely highish compliance which doesn't sit well with my arms (other's a Notts Analogue Ace Anna 12" on Dais).

Just my thoughts, as I'm in a not dissimilar situation.:)

The Transfiguration must be the most neutral cart Ive ever heard. However, I do like the solid timber the DV brings to the scene and accompanied with a very information full and delicate top end. Im V interested in exploring the Urushi option again but Im concerned that it will still contain the sweet and somewhat sickly qualities the black brought to the table. It might of course be a totally different story with the Urushi on a mas deck.

I would forget Koetsus, they are overpriced audio jewellery, and aren't even all that good. Slow and flobby.

I hate to say it, but the same goes for 12" tonearms (IMHO).

I would forget Koetsus, they are overpriced audio jewellery, and aren't even all that good. Slow and flobby.

I hate to say it, but the same goes for 12" tonearms (IMHO).

I must confess...I wanted a 12" arm, tried a few and in each and every case I could hear no benefits to it. Perhaps Im just not that attuned to the delicacies of the refinement they are purported to offer. Hence Ive stuck with my SME V

The Transfiguration must be the most neutral cart Ive ever heard. However, I do like the solid timber the DV brings to the scene and accompanied with a very information full and delicate top end. Im V interested in exploring the Urushi option again but Im concerned that it will still contain the sweet and somewhat sickly qualities the black brought to the table. It might of course be a totally different story with the Urushi on a mas deck.

No Urushi I have ever heard sounded 'sweet and sickly'. But then I don't think modern Koetsus have the characteristics often ascribed to them...they are not 'warm' or 'slow' or any other similar descriptions which seem to relate to Sugano-era Koetsus of 25 years ago. Modern Urushis are pretty fast and open, although both deck and loading will have an effect.
In truth, many expensive moving coil cartridges suffer from wide sample variations. No two sound quite the same. I've heard this effect too many times for it to be bad luck; ideally, you buy the sample you have heard. Personally, having owned a lot of very pricey cartridges, I no longer put much faith in them.
And never, ever, buy an expensive cartridge second hand unless you are confident about the full history. Too many are none standard retips and near to worthless.

No Urushi I have ever heard sounded 'sweet and sickly'. But then I don't think modern Koetsus have the characteristics often ascribed to them...they are not 'warm' or 'slow' or any other similar descriptions which seem to relate to Sugano-era Koetsus of 25 years ago. Modern Urushis are pretty fast and open, although both deck and loading will have an effect.
In truth, many expensive moving coil cartridges suffer from wide sample variations. No two sound quite the same. I've heard this effect too many times for it to be bad luck; ideally, you buy the sample you have heard. Personally, having owned a lot of very pricey cartridges, I no longer put much faith in them.
And never, ever, buy an expensive cartridge second hand unless you are confident about the full history. Too many are none standard retips and near to worthless.

My two A90s sound the same as each other.

ESCO retipped cartridges are better than new cartridges. The paratrace tip is miles better than what Benz currently fit.

Get your facts straight!

Have Benz now stopped using the MicroLine tip?

Shame if they have, as that's the best alongside a VDH 1S.

Have Benz now stopped using the MicroLine tip?

Shame if they have, as that's the best alongside a VDH 1S.

Sorry Rob...I don't quite understand your post,....can you clarify? Im not good with AP abbreviations. Im genuinely interested in all comments that posters go to the trouble of submitting and Id like to understand yours....Regards.

Sorry Rob...I don't quite understand your post,....can you clarify? Im not good with AP abbreviations. Im genuinely interested in all comments that posters go to the trouble of submitting and Id like to understand yours....Regards.

No problem, I'm simply asking if Benz have changed their preferred stylus type.
They used Gyger for a while, then Namiki MicroLine. Looking at a few recent ads for Benz indicates a spec that doesn't fit either. So I'm wondering what they now use.

My own preference for stylus profile is the MicroLine (or micro ridge) which has a very fine tracing edge for best high frequency tracing at all points across the record surface, while maintaining this important aspect of the styles shape as the tip wears. All other profiles progressively 'blunt' their tracing surface as they age.

advertisement

Back